Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #166
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Re: Pics For Sharing & Debating

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
All hail the new King of Kings.

That misquote gets you moved up a few spots.

Quote:
Nervous? I? No -- I admit my faith, acknowledge my inability to know, accept that what will be will be, and, as such, I cherish every moment in this world with the understanding that those moments must, at some point, end.
See? You could have just said "No".

Quote:
Saddened that, once again, the finite are assuming the duties of the infinite with an obvious and inevitable foolish/evil result? -- Yes.
If someone else should be providing some manner of service then we need to examine the contract and make it null and void. They are doing a terrible job.

Quote:
Besides, I think your palm would be flashing red too, my friend. In light of the unremmitting nature and primacy of science, you undoubtedly see the logic of your participation in the system science created. Anything else would be irrational. As such, I would take comfort in the wonderful philosophical discussions we would have before being zappped while trying to "RENEW!!!"
Science will provide me with a solution to the rosy palm. I'll selectively share with my deserving inner circle.

We'll still be able wax philosophical but there will need to be a limit or responses. Perhaps we'll use Twitter?

Advertisements
Old 05-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #167
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
That misquote gets you moved up a few spots.
Well, I thought about sticking with your prefered title of "Lord Emperor of Earth", but the reference seemed obvious and fit so well on so many different levels. You're just being pedantic.

Quote:
See? You could have just said "No".
True enough, but where's the fun in that?

Quote:
If someone else should be providing some manner of service then we need to examine the contract and make it null and void. They are doing a terrible job.
Yes. Yes they are. Ah well, 'tis the price of free will. However, never figured you to prefer existence as some infinite being's pet.

Quote:
Science will provide me with a solution to the rosy palm. I'll selectively share with my deserving inner circle.
So long as it's done by an infalllible system of robot judges, I am cool by that.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #168
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Well, I thought about sticking with your prefered title of "Lord Emperor of Earth", but the reference seemed obvious and fit so well on so many different levels. You're just being pedantic.
"On", my dear chap, not "Upon". I'm happy with the intent of the rest of it.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #169
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Yes. Yes they are. Ah well, 'tis the price of free will. However, never figured you to prefer existence as some infinite being's pet.
'They' being the deity by which we are governed.

Quote:
So long as it's done by an infalllible system of robot judges, I am cool by that.
Naturally. I have my robot suit picked out already.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #170
JoeRedskin

Quote:
"On", my dear chap, not "Upon". I'm happy with the intent of the rest of it.
lol. Okay. I missed that. You are correct sir. What can I say, I picked the pretty meme.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #171
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Saddened that, once again, the finite are assuming the duties of the infinite with an obvious and inevitable foolish/evil result? -- Yes.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
'They' being the deity by which we are governed.
Sorry, I read the term "they" as a plural pronoun referring to those currently providing the service of "assuming the duties of the infinite" and, as such, thought you were referring to the current situation in which an amalgam of finite beings attempts to understand and apply the infinite's will for humanity as revealed by the course of human existence (including, of course, scientific discovery).

Preferring this flawed freedom to eternal and inevitable pet status of the diety you refer to by "they", I would certainly wish to revoke the contract of such a diety. As does orthodox christianity, I prefer my "governing deity" to promote free will, thank you.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #172
KLHJ2
Inactive

It's a good thing that we have the original Hebrew for the Old Testament and the Greek for the New Testament; otherwise you guys would have a bank to stand on. Check out Papyrus 52 or P52 and the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post

Old 05-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #173
KLHJ2
Inactive

God is good, I would question the heart of the man who took this picture if he did not save the life of that child.

Even if you perceive this as evil and inhumane, please understand that God has offered the eternal kingdom to even those who are too young to believe in Him.

Do Children Who Die Go to Heaven? – John MacArthur Sermon | James' Mirror – Christian Discipleship Guide

It isn't how you die, or how you get in, its a matter of whether or not you get in.
Quote:
God is good.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #174
KLHJ2
Inactive

Matty, hell is a creation for those who do not love God. Please understand that based on our Theology that we are all born as sinners, and we need grace to overcome the human condition. We all deserve His eternal wrath whether we believe in Him or not. He offers it for free to all who would believe. Children and lame are exempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Good idea to keep this stuff out of the "fun" stuff

Old 05-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #175
KLHJ2
Inactive

This cartoon assumes several things.

1st, that all religion is true religion.
2nd, that all those who practice religion do so with malice
3rd, That all those who claim to practice the true religion were in support of the actions that clearly violate said religion

From my religionist, Theological, position those who participated in the Crusades were not Christians at all. They may have claimed to be, but were not. If they were, it was a small portion. However, I do not pretend to assume knowledge of a man's heart, at the same time, the acts do not appear to produce fruit.

Quote:
^^I find that hilarious considering how many religious leaders have sent troops to die for selfish reasons. Not to mention the war crimes that have been committed by said leaders.

.....and with that....

Old 05-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #176
KLHJ2
Inactive

Matty, the Bible clearly teaches about those who lived 6000 years ago and worshiped false gods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Old 05-24-2013, 11:17 PM   #177
KLHJ2
Inactive

Guys, there is no way that I can give you faith or even present an argument strong enough to encourage you to believe. I can however present you with scientific information that will help you understand where those of us who do believe are coming from. This is not an attempt to change your mind, rather supportive evidence for the faith that those like I have. I cannot debate you endlessly on issues of science (which means knowledge) because I am not a scientist. However I can prove that we are not fools. We have enough supporting information to go along with our faith that allows us to reasonably believe. The following link provides information from a creationist perspective that supports our presumptions about a creator and the universe as we know it. I do not presume to change your mind, only to present you with enough information to stop calling us idiots without evidence.

Astronomy and Astrophysics Questions and Answers

I do not belive that this information will change your minds on your Theological perspective. I do however, intend to change your mind about our sanity and intelligence.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #178
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

<point_laugh>
Old 05-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #179
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Old 05-26-2013, 03:56 AM   #180
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:

One Scientist opinion..,and a good one.

Science and miracles | Science and Belief
Science and miracles

I’m a scientist who believes that miracles can happen. I don’t think I’m all that unusual. I could name a lot of other scientists who believe the same thing, and from time to time they make themselves known – as in this Nature article.
First of all, what’s a miracle? Miracles are signs of God’s particular grace to his people in particular circumstances. They are events that happen in response to prayer or a desire to connect with God. Their mechanism or timing defies normal scientific reasoning, and show us something special about God’s character. I think this is a Biblical definition of a miracle – a sign; a wonder; something that shows us how amazing God is and how much he loves us. And a miracle doesn’t HAVE to defy scientific explanation – some miracles are ‘ordinary’ events with incredible timing.
Why should a scientist believe in this sort of thing? Put quite simply, if God created the universe he can do what he likes with it! We know from experience that things in the universe can often be reduced to ordered, rational principles, like the ‘law’ of gravity, the speed of light, and so on. I believe that God sustains the universe: if he wasn’t there the whole thing would disappear. And God chooses to sustain things in an orderly way – so we get seasons, patterns and the ability to do science. But is God bound by these laws? I don’t think so! Why should he be? Occasionally he chooses to act in a different way: in a way that defies scientific explanation, and the resurrection of Jesus provides a powerful example – something that all Christians believe happened.
Going back to whether a scientific explanation can be found for a miracle, I think our desire to find stories that defy scientific explanation is a symptom of our scientific culture. If you want to say anything significant these days you need some sort of scientific evidence to back it up, and Christians often buy into this. This makes it extremely tempting to spend a lot of time justifying miracles – especially miracles of healing – as events that cannot be explained scientifically, and dismissing miracles that can be explained scientifically as nothing remarkable, when something very remarkable indeed has happened – someone prayed and God acted.
The Bible doesn’t differentiate between miracles that defy scientific explanation (like Jesus turning water into wine) and those that don’t (like the wind blowing all night and driving the waters of the red sea back – the picture in this cartoon I think overdramatises it a little, but it was nonetheless an incredibly remarkable event that etched itself on a whole nation’s consciousness for thousands of years afterwards) – both types of event are possible, and both are ‘signs and wonders’ pointing to God’s incredible power and care for us.
More importantly, Jesus recognised that miracles alone will do nothing to convince people that God is serious about caring for us. Miracles were an important part of Jesus’ ministry, and are still important today, but some of the people who watched Jesus heal person after person were the same people who cheered for his execution. And Jesus himself said that even if someone rises from the dead people still won’t believe if they don’t want to. It’s only within the whole picture of what Jesus came to do that miracles really make sense.

Written by Ruth Bancewicz
March 26, 2011 at 9:01 am