Debating with the enemy

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #166
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: What's up with the cops these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
There are scumbags in every profession, that shouldn't tarnish the entire bunch as a whole though. Cops are definitely underrated.
sorry to be tagging each one with a repetitive response, but again, cops aren't underrated. Who doesn't tip their hat to one when they come out of Dunkin Donuts, or 7-11. Back to my MP days, when I walked in to a BX(military walmart) in uniform, mostly everyone was pleasant, respectful and gave me the utmost in pleasantries. I know that alot of that was due simply to the emblem on my collar, and the MP on my arm. (not that I'm not a nice guy anyway ). There isn't a cop (who's not in it for power) who doesn't know that they are appreciated and that nonLE/nonCriminals appreciate the good guys for what they do.

It's the ones who feel their position of authority makes them somehow more special, or above the law, that are the bad eggs, and they shouldn't be allowed to hide behind the shield when they are outted.

Advertisements
Old 07-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #167
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
sorry to be tagging each one with a repetitive response, but again, cops aren't underrated. Who doesn't tip their hat to one when they come out of Dunkin Donuts, or 7-11. Back to my MP days, when I walked in to a BX(military walmart) in uniform, mostly everyone was pleasant, respectful and gave me the utmost in pleasantries. I know that alot of that was due simply to the emblem on my collar, and the MP on my arm. (not that I'm not a nice guy anyway ). There isn't a cop (who's not in it for power) who doesn't know that they are appreciated and that nonLE/nonCriminals appreciate the good guys for what they do.

It's the ones who feel their position of authority makes them somehow more special, or above the law, that are the bad eggs, and they shouldn't be allowed to hide behind the shield when they are outted.
Maybe not to you, but threads like this say otherwise. You're also coming from a different perspective as someone who was in the field.

It would be nice if we had a little more balance between the negatives and positives. I know in general people love to bitch and complain vs. point out the good things.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #168
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I don't think that's true. It's kind of like the old joke of a kid saying there's a mother's day and a father's day, but when is kid's day. Every day is kid's day.

Every day, and in many thousands of sporting events per year, LE and others who serve are acknowledged, appreciated and otherwise feted. But bad ones do exist, and simply because of their greater responsibility, they should be held to a higher scrutiny, not lesser.

It really has nothing to do with walking in one's shoes. They signed up to protect and serve. Those who don't should be called to the carpet.
^^^^^^^^^^
Old 07-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #169
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Ive had great experiences with cops....and then I know some cops. Thats all im gonna say.

He Gets Us
Old 07-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #170
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Maybe not to you, but threads like this say otherwise. You're also coming from a different perspective as someone who was in the field.

It would be nice if we had a little more balance between the negatives and positives. I know in general people love to bitch and complain vs. point out the good things.
Pointing out a police doing something nice is like pointing out a lawyer for getting somebody out of a speeding ticket. It's their job. As CR pointed out, cops are very much appreciated and respected. In fact, I have two in my own family that serve with the highway patrol. In fact, we had to bury one this past week. My uncle was a beacon and model of how officers should be. Respected the position, respected his fellow officers, and respected the people he served.

Most of the stuff that's posted here is negative because that's basically what this thread is about. (cops doing stupid shit) I've posted the other week about how good our cops handled a shooting in our town.

http://www.thewarpath.net/debating-w...ml#post1012916

Just because I'm not posting the "good" deeds the cops are doing doesn't mean I'm not aware of those good deeds. Furthermore, I understand that the majority of cops are good, and don't abuse the power given to them. However, even good cops hide the actions of bad cops with their "Thin Blue Line". I have more of a issue with the system itself than I do with individual cops. We have leadership in law enforcement that would rather cover up a bad cop's actions than to punish said action. They essentially are condoning the bad behavior. I've seen it happen. I've had the Sgt. here at the university tell me of many instances where it happens.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 07-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #171
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Bottom line is. Cops should be held to a higher standard. The problem is, they aren't. (as noted by many of these things posted)
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 07-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #172
RedskinMike
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
This happened 1 mile from my house.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #173
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Pointing out a police doing something nice is like pointing out a lawyer for getting somebody out of a speeding ticket. It's their job. As CR pointed out, cops are very much appreciated and respected. In fact, I have two in my own family that serve with the highway patrol. In fact, we had to bury one this past week. My uncle was a beacon and model of how officers should be. Respected the position, respected his fellow officers, and respected the people he served.

Most of the stuff that's posted here is negative because that's basically what this thread is about. (cops doing stupid shit) I've posted the other week about how good our cops handled a shooting in our town.

http://www.thewarpath.net/debating-w...ml#post1012916

Just because I'm not posting the "good" deeds the cops are doing doesn't mean I'm not aware of those good deeds. Furthermore, I understand that the majority of cops are good, and don't abuse the power given to them. However, even good cops hide the actions of bad cops with their "Thin Blue Line". I have more of a issue with the system itself than I do with individual cops. We have leadership in law enforcement that would rather cover up a bad cop's actions than to punish said action. They essentially are condoning the bad behavior. I've seen it happen. I've had the Sgt. here at the university tell me of many instances where it happens.
I'm sorry for the loss.

I suppose it's because we don't have a "kudos to cops" thread that comments here (I'm sure many without knowing the full story of what happened) stand out.

Perhaps it's because of the negative nature of the majority of the threads in this forum but it seems like a lot of people here are anti "The Man" to somewhat absurd extremes. Or I could just be making assumptions, probably am.

That said, I don't really buy the "it's your job" argument. Yes, they've chosen to put themselves in a position of danger at nearly any given moment. But, and I know this may upset some, but people willingly join the military and are lauded as heroes, yet it seems to me police officers often aren't.

Again, very sorry for your family's loss
Old 07-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #174
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I'm sorry for the loss.

I suppose it's because we don't have a "kudos to cops" thread that comments here (I'm sure many without knowing the full story of what happened) stand out.

Perhaps it's because of the negative nature of the majority of the threads in this forum but it seems like a lot of people here are anti "The Man" to somewhat absurd extremes. Or I could just be making assumptions, probably am.

That said, I don't really buy the "it's your job" argument. Yes, they've chosen to put themselves in a position of danger at nearly any given moment. But, and I know this may upset some, but people willingly join the military and are lauded as heroes, yet it seems to me police officers often aren't.

Agreed. Soldiers do some horrible things too but are mostly off limits to criticism it seems.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #175
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I'm sorry for the loss.

Thank you for the condolences Smoot. We've pretty much prepared for his departure since the beginning of the year when he was diagnosed with cancer of the pancreas, which was inoperable in his case. Glad we got a chance to say goodbye to him a couple weeks ago with the rest of the family. Also, **** cancer.

Yes, I will agree with you that military is viewed more favorably among the population compared to police officers, but I imagine that's because people interact more with our police than the military. We see the bad things cops do on youtube, but we hardly hear about the rapes and murders done by military men unless it's leak to the press. I'm sure if more people followed the military personnel around with cameras, we'd probably be horrified at some of the things our "heroes" do. I personally think military men, fireman, and cops all have thankless and underpaid jobs. I salute the men serving, but I also distrust the system as it is.

Needless to say, I assure you that I hold the same type of contempt for the soldiers (and leaders) that do these types of things, and then try to cover it up.

As far as anti-"the man" goes, I'm anarchist at heart, but I know realistically that a government is needed because we have too many stupid (and corrupt) people to govern themselves. I'm big with civil rights and liberties, and think those are are that should not be meddled with. I think corporate money and religion have no place in our government, but both seemingly continue to sway our political structure in favor of the morally bankrupt.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #176
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinMike View Post
This happened 1 mile from my house.
I go by the spot everyday on the way home .
Old 07-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #177
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Bottom line is. Cops should be held to a higher standard. The problem is, they aren't. (as noted by many of these things posted)
Sorry , I have to say bullshit to this ! Why , just because you say so? Look the police officers themselves try to hold themselves as examples to the public but as was pointed out there are bad apples in every section of society, don't damn all because of a few and when all that is posted is the bad , well then that is the impression you are giving that all ...not just some are bad.
We say the same about our sports hero's , they should be held to a higher standard, again same answer ...they are human and there are some bad with the good, it happens but if all we do is point out the bad then we give the view that are beliefs of them is just that all bad.
People that should be held to a higher standard.....
Police
Military
Parents
Firemen
EMTs
Teachers
Clergy
Politicians'
Doctors
Athletes
Business people
anyone alive....etc.

Last edited by Giantone; 07-04-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #178
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
It's not cool to appreciate police officers

I'm finding that out.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #179
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
We say the same about our sports hero's , they should be held to a higher standard, again same answer ...

Most of the "we" you speak of are ignorant people who have no grasp of what's valuable and what is not. Nobody in their right mind thinks a sports hero should be held to a higher standard. Mainly because nobody in their right mind (beyond kids) would put a sports hero on a pedestal. To put a athlete and a public officer in the same category is laughable at best.

Yes, I expect more from cops, doctors, and politicians. Yes I think there should be a higher standard from these people while doing their jobs. If you don't understand why that should be, I'm not sure what to tell you. I think it would be clear on how valuable those professions are to the public and the amount of lives at stake with the powers these positions hold.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #180
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

This is the standard I speak of. The system is corrupt. It has been and will continue as long as we allow it. It's not just the cops, it's the judges as well. Here we have a judge who finds a officer "not guilty" of police brutality because she refused to allow the video as evidence.

Judge Finds Cop Not Guilty of Assault after Refusing to Watch Video of Assault - | Intellihub.com

This is your ****ing judicial system at work here. One that's keeping the crimes against the population under wraps. One that's ignoring the laws of the land to exercise their own justice in the way they see fit.

Listen to the police union douchebag say how video shouldn't be used against cops.
Closed Thread