All things Middle East related

Debating with the enemy

Old 05-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #166
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: All things Middle East related

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Its' Muslim, not moslem... or did you deliberately use the pejorative form of the word because of your obvious discrimination and hatred of people of the religion?

Rat and Alvin:

Your hatred of people, regardless of race or religion, who condone abuse of women in all its forms (domestic violence, rape, mutilation, etc.) is morally justified. I'm 100% with you on that. But judging a billion people in the middle east (the majority of whom are muslims) based on the actions/attitudes of a small minority is cookie cutter racism.

You want to say you dont prejudge people of the middle east and only muslims, then you are a "religious discriminator." Its no different than racism and just as ugly.

Islam doesnt teach that its ok to rape and beat women or perform FGM... thats just a small portion of people who happen to live in those countries and claim to be muslim. Judging the majority of people in those countries based on those few is overt discrimination.

How would you feel if someone beleived you were a "god hates fags" soldier funeral protester just because you lived in the US?

Discrimination is ugly in all its forms. Your comments show you are prejudiced against people from the middle east and/or Muslims. Im ashamed that others here seem to share your ignorant and hateful views.

CNN Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

pretty aggressive, seems to be a problem there.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #167
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Some big time unrest in the land of Turkey. Huge riots and demonstrations going on.

https://twitter.com/DirenGezi/status...432384/photo/1

http://i.imgur.com/y8IiH8y.jpg

A whole lot more info on the riots in Turkey. (title is misleading so ignore the title)

The Islamist government of turkey is about to fall. Minute by minute updates. : worldnews

As typical, a majority of our news outlets are not covering it. /facepalm
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #168
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Hey look, Reuters decided to join the party. Shit has hit the fan in Turkey.

Turkish PM calls for immediate end to protests as clashes flare | Reuters

Quote:
The unrest was triggered by government plans for a replica Ottoman-era barracks housing shops or apartments in Istanbul's Taksim Square, long a venue for political protest, but has widened into a broader show of defiance against Erdogan and his Islamist-rooted Justice and Development Party (AKP).
I think the people are tired of the Islamic bullshit.

Turkey Protests: Clashes Between Activists And Police Continue Into Second Day (VIDEO, PICTURES)
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #169
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Pretty funny, but i take issue with the chart indicating there are no smart or awesome Christians or Muslims or that an Athiest cannot be narrowminded or judgemental. I also thnk "Hypocritical" should have been in large, bold font and underlined for Christians.

I'll give it 80% correct.
Considering this chart is about what people search for and say about themselves and other people, the chart is pretty incriminating against self-avowed atheists.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #170
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Actress in critical condition after acid attack in Pakistan - CNN.com

Pakistani actress injured in acid attack - Indian Express

"Bushra's brother Pervez Khan lodged a complaint with the police against film producer Shaukat Khan was behind the attack as the actress had turned down his marriage proposal.

Acid attacks on women, especially by men they have spurned, are common across Pakistan despite the amendment of a law to increase the punishment for such assaults."

He Gets Us
Old 06-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #171
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Acid attacks on women, especially by men they have spurned, are common across Pakistan despite the amendment of a law to increase the punishment for such assaults."
Not sure why they are still considered men. Laws don't stop people, you need societal pressure.

Until women are treated as equal this will continue. Same with the rape travesty.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #172
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

And it doesn't help when religion supports and advocates for ugly practices:

'Circumcision controls women's sex common sense' - Sheikh Yussef al-Badri

Female genital mutilation was made illegal in Egypt in 2008 but is still very widely practiced. Some estimates suggest over 75% of women, Muslim and Christian, still have had the procedure in some areas of the country.

Debate on the subject has re-opened after the recent death of a 13-year-old girl while having the operation. Studies have also documented cases of serious health and psychological complications.

Sheikh Yussef al-Badri is one of Egypt's biggest advocates for what he refers to as female circumcision, and has petitioned the country's courts to make it legal again.

He told Aleem Maqbool that it removed a woman's "need for man".

Apparently men can't be trusted to control themselves.

Last edited by RedskinRat; 06-24-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #173
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Riots in Egypt, here we go!
Old 06-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #174
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

The encouraging thing in Egypt is the youth there are not bout this Muslim Brotherhood life. They are rallying to say no to a conservative islamic state. Gotta give them props

He Gets Us
Old 06-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #175
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
The encouraging thing in Egypt is the youth there are not bout this Muslim Brotherhood life. They are rallying to say no to a conservative islamic state. Gotta give them props
There is hope
Old 06-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #176
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

link?
Old 06-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #177
over the mountain
Playmaker

HBO on-demand has a 41 minute oscar winning documentary called "saving faces" on victims of acid attacks in pakistan.

cool quick view.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #178
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
link?
I resent being your unpaid Paralegal, sir!

Egypt

Clashes have broken out in the Egyptian city of Alexandria between anti- and pro-government supporters that have left at least one dead and more than 80 wounded, according to the state news agency MENA.
The country's interior ministry confirmed on Friday that the man was a US citizen and died from a stab wound to the chest while taking pictures of the clashes.
Some anti-government protesters set fire to the local headquarters of the Muslim Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party in the Sidi Gaber area of the city.
Violence also broke out in other parts of the country with reports of attacks on Muslim Brotherhood offices in several cities and governorates, including Gharbiya, Daqahliyah and Kafr el-Sheikh.
Earlier, several thousand protesters marched along the Alexandria's seafront complaining mainly about economic stagnation.
"There are no services, we can't find diesel or gasoline. We elected [President Mohamed] Morsi, but this is enough," said 42-year-old accountant Mohamed Abdel Latif.

You know it's bad when an accountant gets rioty.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #179
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
link?
Egyptian troops deployed to keep order after attacks - CNN.com

an american killed as well

He Gets Us
Old 07-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #180
over the mountain
Playmaker

Now Morsi is equally unliked, but removing him power could be seen a major step backwards for the revolution. After all, Morsi — as he is quick to point out — was democratically elected. If he can be forced out by violent protests or military order, then what kind of democracy does Egypt really have? The people want him gone, but are they willing to do so at the cost of giving power back to a military that can order a president around? The world now waits for his answer.

^^^i found this section of an article fairly enlightening.