When is Enough ,Enough?

Debating with the enemy

Old 06-08-2020, 08:08 PM   #1
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Re: When is Enough ,Enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I forget what link...but the information about black vs white sentencing is fairly legit from other sources I checked. I’d like to see more information on that to combat it...I would suspect it’s certain areas of the country. I’d like to see data and believe there is opportunity for reforms.

I also did a little digging about the school arrests and transitioning towards prison...there is opportunity there I believe mental health reform early in schools should be a norm as a school nurse. It’s shocking to see arrest figures so high in schools...but equally shocking is the violence against teachers which has steady risen over 15 years..:where gun violence in school has declined.
You hit the nail on the head on why I am very pro universal pre k. We have seen school districts that implement it see a reduction in costs per a pupil because we can address social emotional and educational needs earlier and therefore spend less on that when students are older. The school arrests stems IMO from lack of training of a lot of school resource officers (SROs) not being trained on student needs and disabilities and only on discipline. Routine disorders like oppositional defiant disorder are easily perceived as non disorder based attitudes by those in authority. I know personally I have lost my shit when I wanted a student to pick up a paper he crumpled and tossed on the floor when I needed to use a more appropriate technique.

In terms of teacher violence that is a hot button issue in my district and we are not getting the support from the superintendent's office. I think a lot of administrations are fearful of disciplining students for extreme behavior because it counts as negative numbers for a school. This leads to that behavior being perceived as acceptable. They are still teenagers after all.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:40 AM   #2
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Episcopal Church response to Trump using their church as a prop

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/02/86757...p-church-visit
Old 06-02-2020, 08:50 AM   #3
MTK
\m/

Trump is totally unhinged

I'd just love to know if any of his staff thought that bizarre photo op was a good idea
Old 06-02-2020, 09:34 AM   #4
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post

I'd just love to know if any of his staff thought that bizarre photo op was a good idea
I just watched, just wow.

The guy is a moron.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:59 AM   #5
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

I was just told Trump should have locked down the country in January, that would have been ok somehow. And now he is calling in support to cities where violence is hurting communities, businesses, citizens, and police...now he is a dictator? The narratives don’t make any sense.

We understand people and police were attacked in multiple cities last night? We understand that the once peaceful protest have been Co-opted by alt left violent groups? We do understand that right? We all agree this isn’t right?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:01 AM   #6
MTK
\m/

Quote:
I was just told Trump should have locked down the country in January, that would have been ok somehow. And now he is calling in support to cities where violence is hurting communities, businesses, citizens, and police...now he is a dictator? The narratives don’t make any sense.

We understand people and police were attacked in multiple cities last night? We understand that the once peaceful protest have been Co-opted by alt left violent groups? We do understand that right? We all agree this isn’t right?
You really want to die on this hill that the President threatening military force against our own people is ok? Tear gassing citizens on his way to an asinine photo op is ok?
Old 06-02-2020, 10:46 AM   #7
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
You really want to die on this hill that the President threatening military force against our own people is ok? Tear gassing citizens on his way to an asinine photo op is ok?
So you are just willing to wait till the people who have become violent and destroying property and looting run out of energy? These incidents seem to be escalating. Remember the 1992 Los Angeles riots? The mass destruction didn't take place till the cops that beat Rodney King were acquitted. Here we have a cop in jail charged with murder, yet same crap as with the Rodney King incident.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:35 PM   #8
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Yes he will , chico will try to spin it off topic on to something else becuase what trump did is undefendable.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:51 PM   #9
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Yes he will , chico will try to spin it off topic on to something else becuase what trump did is undefendable.
So it seems you either are condoning looting and burning down the city or have a secret way of stopping it. Please tell, or do you just live to bad mouth everything Trump does, down to what he eats for breakfast.

Let us know what you would do with the wide spread looting and violence if you were in charge.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:24 AM   #10
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:

1. Trump doesn't take significant action, he is not a leader
2. Trump does take significant action, he is a dictator

Either way he loses and orange man bad.

And ignore all violence and looting that is completely hijacking the death of Mr. Floyd and the issue of police brutality that does need to be addressed. Ignore that people's property is being destroyed and people themselves are being hurt. Ignore that this is leading to more deaths. Ignore that significant chunks of towns are being destroyed. Ignore that it appears agitators are being bussed into places to inflame tensions and riots. A bunch of Officer Barbradys.

sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:51 AM   #11
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post

And ignore all violence and looting that is completely hijacking the death of Mr. Floyd and the issue of police brutality that does need to be addressed. Ignore that people's property is being destroyed and people themselves are being hurt. Ignore that this is leading to more deaths. Ignore that significant chunks of towns are being destroyed. Ignore that it appears agitators are being bussed into places to inflame tensions and riots. A bunch of Officer Barbradys.

Nobody is ignoring it. 15 states have already called up national guards and others such as DC which have small national guards have asked neighboring states for guard assistance last I checked so no one is ignoring the looters. You are correct there are people that will look at trump and never agree with him. They were never going to vote for him anyway so no harm no foul. Going out and saying the states need to do a better job of establishing order IMO is a good thing for him. It is going to appeal to a large portion of the population that believes when you loosen the reigns crime and a lack of discipline increases. Using gas and flash grenades to clear peaceful protesters is what I have a problem with.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:00 AM   #12
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Using gas and flash grenades to clear peaceful protesters is what I have a problem with.
What do you propose, fire hoses and water cannons? Enough is enough, all the incidents of looting and mass destruction started as "peaceful protests". I am pretty sure the gas and grenades game out well after crowds were told to disperse and they failed to do so.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #13
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post

There are good ways for Trump to take significant actions to demonstrate his leadership without being deemed as a dictator, thus let me add #3 option for you:
3. Trump talks to public and encourage everyone to work together, works with all governors and provide all supports they need from him.

But as we all already know, Trump chose to attack some of the protesters and the governors, made threats to take full control, and apparently encouraging violence against the protestors who partake in the riots. Trump even tried to politicize those incidents by targeting the governors who are Democrats, claiming that they are weak. In my eyes, this is not a real leadership action. Heck, even the leadership courses/workshops would preach against this move.

First of all, let me emphasize the fact that I do not support the riots caused by some of protesters, I cannot imagine what business owners in those locations are going through. I truly hope none of this will force some business to close permanently due to financial losses. I discussed this situation with my girlfriend and we both realized how those riots are forcing America to open their eyes wider and fully acknowledge the discrimination. Now, lawmakers, companies and people are trying to figure out how they could work to resolve the discrimination. Can you guys honestly say that those people would be doing all of this if there were no riots? I personally say no. We all know that police have been racial-profiling against black people for years and yet there were not much done to resolve it. Kaepernick tried to do something about it but some people chose to completely disregard Kaepernick’s purpose for kneeing during the national Anthem and claim that Kaepernick was dishonoring America. Even Trump promoted that conspiracy theory. Nothing significant was done to resolve the issues after the Kaepernick incident. After the Kaepernick incident, some black people were killed by police during arrests, being unfairly targeted by police for minor violations, etc - nothing significant happened that would resolve the racial-profiling. Until now, the only difference is the riots are happening and now there are people working to do something about the race discrimination.

Thanks Buffalo for pointing out the fact that more white people are killed by police than black people. I dug around and learned this fact to be true. Also, more white people have been arrested by police than black people from 1980 to 2015, according to Bureau of Justice Statistics. On average, approximately 9 million white people were arrested every 5 years within that time frame and roughly 3.75 million black people were arrested every 5 years in the same time frame. Although, we must consider the ratios as well. According to the US Census Bureau, in 2019, 60.4% of Americans are white, 13.4% are black. According to Pew Research Center, at the end of 2017, the US had 475,900 black prisoners and 436,500 white prisoners (39,400 difference). The research noted how the gap between blacks and whites have been narrowing in the last 10 years. In 2007, there were 592,900 black prisoners and 499,800 white prisoners (93,100 difference). This trend shows that America have been improving, unfortunately the media don’t show that.

Even with those stats, we still need to acknowledge the fact that police do treat black people differently than white people. There are multiple researches that shows how police often treat black people differently than any other races.

Ivanka Trump and her husband, Jared have been working with #50Cut organization which focus on reforming the criminal justice system, and the organization played a big role in helping the First Step Act become into a bill. This is a great step for the Trump administration; however this bill focuses on helping prisoners to reintegrate into the public after being released from prison. Although, I believe this gives Trump a great opportunity to do so much more in reforming the criminal justice system by work on bills that will reform the ENTIRE criminal justice system. Will Trump take an advantage of this, or will he make this situation worse? So far, Trump is off to a bad start, but he still has the opportunity to turn this around. For America’s sake, I hope Trump will work with everyone to resolve this.

Sources - by the way, can someone tell me how to create hyperlinks on this forum?

https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=dat...ests/index.cfm

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...olice-by-race/

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...e/US/PST045219

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...tes-in-prison/
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:56 AM   #14
MTK
\m/

What's not the norm exactly?
Old 06-02-2020, 10:03 AM   #15
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
What's not the norm exactly?
Interaction with police will lead to your death. 60 million interactions a year across this country.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote