The Bad News Thread

Parking Lot

Old 07-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #151
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: The Bad News Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Malaysian Airlines and the families of their passengers just keep getting bad news, sad

Malaysia Airlines Plane Crashes in Ukraine With 295 on Board
The headline is a bit misleading since according to the article it was shot down by ground to air missiles. That's not the same as a crash in my mind, though just as tragic for the families of those on board. Think it's time to change flight plans away from the Russian Ukraine border for a while.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #152
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Just saw this. Not what I want to see before I fly to Ireland, but the fact that it was a missile attack is better than it being a crash.
Probably more tragic for the families that it was shot down. Unreal.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:04 AM   #153
JPPT1974
Special Teams

Keep those in thoughts and prayers in the Malaysian plane crash. Really sad!
Old 08-29-2014, 03:44 PM   #154
over the mountain
Playmaker

the falcon that lives in the tree lined median in the middle of I 95 btw 198 and 32 has passed away. i saw him on the side of the road talons up going from balt to 495 this afternoon.

if you travel this stretch a lot, you have probably seen him.

maryland has some amazing birds.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #155
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Rip falcon
Old 09-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #156
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

I thought we had it bad with internet in America. Turns out Turkey is much worse.

New Turkish Internet law to deepen censorship and increase surveillance: HRW - RIGHTS

Social media and opposition to blame for protests, says Turkish PM | World news | The Guardian
Quote:
"We think that the main opposition party, which is making resistance calls on every street, is provoking these protests," Erdogan said on Turkish television, as an estimated 10,000 demonstrators streamed into the area waving flags and calling on the government to resign.

"There is now a menace which is called Twitter," Erdogan said. "The best examples of lies can be found there. To me, social media is the worst menace to society."
Guy makes Putin practically look like the Dalai Lama (who lives in Atlanta btw).

The biggest surprise of this is I did a report back in college on the overall business and marketing climate in Turkey where I actually got a chance to speak about the country with actual Turks. What I learned at the time was that it was unfair to compare Turkey to the rest of the Middle East in terms of rights. However it seems like the leaders are dragging the country further and further away from the EU and more towards the rest of the Middle East.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #157
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

The Bad News Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I thought we had it bad with internet in America. Turns out Turkey is much worse.

New Turkish Internet law to deepen censorship and increase surveillance: HRW - RIGHTS

Social media and opposition to blame for protests, says Turkish PM | World news | The Guardian

Guy makes Putin practically look like the Dalai Lama (who lives in Atlanta btw).

The biggest surprise of this is I did a report back in college on the overall business and marketing climate in Turkey where I actually got a chance to speak about the country with actual Turks. What I learned at the time was that it was unfair to compare Turkey to the rest of the Middle East in terms of rights. However it seems like the leaders are dragging the country further and further away from the EU and more towards the rest of the Middle East.

Unreal. This is fantastic bad news .... Wait - nevermind.
I once had dinner with the hare krishnas in Atlanta.
Edit: that is seriously scary shit. This world is effed up.

Last edited by punch it in; 09-15-2014 at 10:05 PM. Reason: t
Old 09-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #158
over the mountain
Playmaker

bad news for me - my 15 year old car now involuntarily honks its horn on sharp turns (the middle cover of my steering wheel is loose). its nice, 7:43 am, trying to navigate through city traffic and out of nowhere - hooooonk-honk-hoonk-hoooonk ... everyone looks around and i just put both hands up so they know im not intentionally honking my horn.

life is precious.

bad news for PA law enforcement - i find this situation to be terrifying and a real life rambo I. brings back all the DC sniper memories but this time it takes place in the thick deep woods with a marksman survivalist.

http://hsrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=Ap5EqBBmQ...F_CGSzKHIFOHA-
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:37 PM   #159
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

The part about your car. I can see it and hear it. Hysterical. But i can imagine the pain. Almost too funny for the bad news thread. Good stuff. Lol
Old 09-19-2014, 08:14 PM   #160
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

A reason millions of bees are dying - The Washington Post

I had heard of Colony Collapse Disorder before but right now its freaking me out because I'm not sure if I'm witnessing it first hand. The other day outside a super market there was a swarm of bees next to my car. Pretty much all of them seemed like they were dying as there were at least 20 dead bees in the middle of the swarm.

Then today when I get back to my place there's what appears to be a dead queen right next to where I park my car (seriously maybe its my car). And I'm pretty sure its a queen because it looked a lot like the queen in this picture.

For those who might think this is a good thing keep in mind bees play a vital part in the eco-system:
Quote:
Globally there are more honey bees than other types of bee and pollinating insects, so it is the world's most important pollinator of food crops. It is estimated that one third of the food that we consume each day relies on pollination mainly by bees, but also by other insects, birds and bats
Basically there are farmers in Asia that are having to pollinate plants manually. A process which is extremely time consuming and ineffective especially compared to the rate bees are able to complete the same task. Of course when you're out of options, well beggars can't be choosers.

Regardless its still way to warm down here for the Bee's to start dying off. Personally I'm not the biggest environmentalist but this issue definitely has my attention.

In other bad news:
North Korea sentences American Matthew Miller to 6 years at hard labor - The Washington Post

Just a terrible story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Unreal. This is fantastic bad news .... Wait - nevermind.
I once had dinner with the hare krishnas in Atlanta.
Edit: that is seriously scary shit. This world is effed up.
Funny thing is next to Greece, the Ottoman empire particularly around Istanbul used to be one of the more forward thinking and open civilizations in the ancient world. Sad to see it reduced to this.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:48 PM   #161
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Fuck I just opened a 2 liter ginger ale and the whorl fucken thing is flat. Well, i guess I'm drinking straight jack Daniels tonight

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:59 PM   #162
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
A reason millions of bees are dying - The Washington Post

I had heard of Colony Collapse Disorder before but right now its freaking me out because I'm not sure if I'm witnessing it first hand. The other day outside a super market there was a swarm of bees next to my car. Pretty much all of them seemed like they were dying as there were at least 20 dead bees in the middle of the swarm.

Then today when I get back to my place there's what appears to be a dead queen right next to where I park my car (seriously maybe its my car). And I'm pretty sure its a queen because it looked a lot like the queen in this picture.

For those who might think this is a good thing keep in mind bees play a vital part in the eco-system:

Basically there are farmers in Asia that are having to pollinate plants manually. A process which is extremely time consuming and ineffective especially compared to the rate bees are able to complete the same task. Of course when you're out of options, well beggars can't be choosers.

Regardless its still way to warm down here for the Bee's to start dying off. Personally I'm not the biggest environmentalist but this issue definitely has my attention.

In other bad news:

North Korea sentences American Matthew Miller to 6 years at hard labor - The Washington Post

Just a terrible story.

Funny thing is next to Greece, the Ottoman empire particularly around Istanbul used to be one of the more forward thinking and open civilizations in the ancient world. Sad to see it reduced to this.
Yup. This world is the devils playground. Alls we can do is break on through to the other side.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #163
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Fuck I just opened a 2 liter ginger ale and the whorl fucken thing is flat. Well, i guess I'm drinking straight jack Daniels tonight

Funny. I got some sailor jerry rum. Always always always forget a damn mixer. All i have is ginger ale. Cans though.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #164
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Funny. I got some sailor jerry rum. Always always always forget a damn mixer. All i have is ginger ale. Cans though.
Yeah, I'm a ginger ale fan with burbon. Coke is wayyyy to sweet as a mixer. I see ginger beer now as the big mixer in the hip restaurants around town.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:30 PM   #165
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

The Bad News Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Yeah, I'm a ginger ale fan with burbon. Coke is wayyyy to sweet as a mixer. I see ginger beer now as the big mixer in the hip restaurants around town.

I would agree. The sugar between the coke n rum is a killer.

Last edited by punch it in; 09-20-2014 at 09:30 PM. Reason: y