Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Coronavirus (political)

Debating with the enemy

Old 01-19-2022, 01:18 PM   #1516
SunnySide
Playmaker

Re: Coronavirus (political)

I didnt think the article was saying Joe Rogan and his 2 guests were right or it is important to hear Joe Rogans point of view.

This writer/doctor said 90% of what the said was bullshit

I thought the writer's point was to not stiffle discussions for 2 reasons ....

One, even if 90% is BS, if the 10% re myocarditist among healthy young from vax is a discussion worth having then it should be talked about and not thrown out with the bath water of the other 90% conspiracy BS

Two, good way to combat BS false info is to not censor it but to rebut it. Now it seems he thinks people will be objective and intellectually honest but if someone is an anti vaxxer and sees the Rogan podcast of these 2 whack jobs, no amount of clearly written logical rebuttal will be considered by the anti vaxxer.

Also by censoring you create publicity. Alice Cooper wrote a conservative activist a thank you letter bc he thought her push to have his song "schools out" censored made the song more popular.

------

The article wasnt about whether Joe Rogan is right or important ... just that stifling discussion is generally bad. Some of the discussion may actually be worth having and the other crap can be rebutted if need be.

This whole "media is the enemy" thing seems so dumb and targeted for the most gullible of our country.

if you need to be told Don Lemon and Tucker Carlson have agendas ... youre a fucking moron. If you believe some yokel's anecdotal facebook story about how covid is fake or the vax is bad for your health ... while being moribly obese and smoking cigarettes .. I hope you choke on a dick some time soon.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-19-2022, 02:23 PM   #1517
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post

This whole "media is the enemy" thing seems so dumb and targeted for the most gullible of our country.

if you need to be told Don Lemon and Tucker Carlson have agendas ... youre a fucking moron. If you believe some yokel's anecdotal facebook story about how covid is fake or the vax is bad for your health ... while being moribly obese and smoking cigarettes .. I hope you choke on a dick some time soon.
Old 01-19-2022, 03:09 PM   #1518
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I didnt think the article was saying Joe Rogan and his 2 guests were right or it is important to hear Joe Rogans point of view.

This writer/doctor said 90% of what the said was bullshit

I thought the writer's point was to not stiffle discussions for 2 reasons ....

One, even if 90% is BS, if the 10% re myocarditist among healthy young from vax is a discussion worth having then it should be talked about and not thrown out with the bath water of the other 90% conspiracy BS

Two, good way to combat BS false info is to not censor it but to rebut it. Now it seems he thinks people will be objective and intellectually honest but if someone is an anti vaxxer and sees the Rogan podcast of these 2 whack jobs, no amount of clearly written logical rebuttal will be considered by the anti vaxxer.

Also by censoring you create publicity. Alice Cooper wrote a conservative activist a thank you letter bc he thought her push to have his song "schools out" censored made the song more popular.

------

The article wasnt about whether Joe Rogan is right or important ... just that stifling discussion is generally bad. Some of the discussion may actually be worth having and the other crap can be rebutted if need be.

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/18/10734...campers-either

Gorsuch didn't mask despite Sotomayor's COVID worries, leading her to telework

24 hours laters

https://thehill.com/regulation/court...rt-of-tensions

Sotomayor, Gorsuch issue statement denying tensions over masks

NPR flat out lying bullshit…enemy of the people

It’s like I can pull a fake news story every single day.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:24 PM   #1519
SunnySide
Playmaker

Only thing I want to hear re the SCOTUS is that justice Breyer is retiring leaving enough time for President Biden and Senate to confirm a justice before 2022. Rs are going to win the senate and house.

If the Justice RBG issue repeats itself and McConell holds a SCOTUS seat open for 2 years, I will be really disappointed.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:54 PM   #1520
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Any article that suggest Joe Rogan knows anything is BS. Saying his Podcast is import because it gives a different viewpoint is Ludacris .
From your response it seems like you only read the first paragraph. Why does that not surprise me?
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:51 AM   #1521
MTK
\m/

Definitely don't agree with censoring Rogan. If anything it's entertaining how much of a moron he is at times.

Like here where he gets fact checked live yet can't admit he's wrong

Old 01-20-2022, 01:49 PM   #1522
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
From your response it seems like you only read the first paragraph. Why does that not surprise me?
Ahh coming from someone who condemns all Unions because of some stuff in 1977 in another Country. Yes Rogan should be shut down because his information is not only wrong it 's dangerous. Same as that asswipe former president who's followers stormed the Capital. You can't scream fire in a crowed movie theater and call it free speech! You can't lie about the Vaccine and then blame others when people die.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:08 PM   #1523
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Definitely don't agree with censoring Rogan. If anything it's entertaining how much of a moron he is at times.

Like here where he gets fact checked live yet can't admit he's wrong

He says some dumb stuff for sure. I just don’t get the not taking a vaccine but then be ok with unproven therapeutics? I don’t know if that’s in this clip, but his remarks in the past have reflected it.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:22 PM   #1524
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Ahh coming from someone who condemns all Unions because of some stuff in 1977 in another Country. Yes Rogan should be shut down because his information is not only wrong it 's dangerous. Same as that asswipe former president who's followers stormed the Capital. You can't scream fire in a crowed movie theater and call it free speech! You can't lie about the Vaccine and then blame others when people die.
Damn you really only did read the first paragraph, even after other poster's ( who usually agree with you) comments essentially refuted your take. Why don't you go back and read the entire article so you become a bit more informed on what you are commenting on.

Last edited by nonniey; 01-21-2022 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:56 PM   #1525
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Damn you really only did read the first paragraph, even after other poster's ( who usually agree with you) comments essentially refuted your take. Why don't you go back and read the entire article so you become a bit more informed on what you are commenting on.
You make many assumptions .
Old 01-22-2022, 09:13 AM   #1526
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
2d good article in 2 days from Unherd. They weren't on my radar before, will have to pay attention to them.

https://unherd.com/2022/01/we-need-t...-the-vaccines/
I finally had a chance to sit down and read this. There are some interesting points. Notably should a podcast be treated as media and therefore subjected to same censorship when they intentionally disperse false information. Yet we know that is loosely followed in our country anyways so the idea of censoring him would be political posturing IMO.

I do have a problem with some of his logic. In his analysis of the first claim he uses the phrase "we know" when referring to studies but then referring to exact same issue and discussion of the longitudinal effects of myocarditis says "too early to know full effects" IMO that would be a classic example of logical fallacy especially since he doesn't reference higher rates of myocarditis in unvaccinated youth that end up with Covid. Once again longitudinally too early to tell if there is significance but I see no problem with acknowledging the difference between acute and chronic in these opinions and he should have.

His analysis of the second claim was well. I do wish he would have tackled the topic question more head on what in the policy and why it ignores. I think it would have opened a some interesting discussion.

I am not going to even touch that third claim.

The analysis of the fourth claim I think we have to be mindful that the opinion of an individual should have no bearing on the uncovering of facts. However I think we probably all agree that cherry picking facts to fit a narrative is a live and well.

I really enjoy reading those articles. Thanks for sharing.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 04:26 PM   #1527
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Theres 2 types of people in this world .. assholes and people who dont litter. I fucking hate litterers.

nonniery - that was a good article.
Why can't I be both?
Old 01-22-2022, 06:12 PM   #1528
nonniey
The Starter

Intelligencer article from Jonathan Chait. (Interesting to see a progressive writer attack the progressive position on school closures).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opini...-it/ar-AASRK6I

"Recently, Nate Silver found himself in the unenviable role of main character of the day on Twitter because he proposed that school closures were a “disastrous, invasion-of-Iraq magnitude (or perhaps greater) policy decision." The comparison generated overwhelming anger and mockery, and it is not an easy one to defend: A fiasco that led to hundreds of thousands of deaths and rearranged the regional power structure is a very high bar to clear. Weighing policy failures in such utterly different realms to each other is so inherently difficult that any discussion quickly devolves into “Could Superman beat up Mighty Mouse?” territory.
But these complications do not fully explain the sheer rage generated by Silver. The furnace-hot backlash seemed to be triggered by Silver’s assumption that school closings were not only a mistake — a possibility many progressives have quietly begun to accept — but an error of judgment that was sufficiently consequential and foreseeable that we can’t just shrug it off as a bad dice roll. It was a historic blunder that reveals some deeper flaw in the methods that produced it and which demands corrective action.

That unnerving implication has a mounting pile of evidence to support it. It is now indisputable, and almost undisputed, that the year and a quarter of virtual school imposed devastating consequences on the students who endured it. Studies have found that virtual school left students nearly half a year behind pace, on average, with the learning loss falling disproportionately on low-income, Latino, and Black students. Perhaps a million students functionally dropped out of school altogether. .......What happened next was truly disturbing: The left by and large rejected this evidence. Progressives were instead carried along by two predominant impulses. One was a zero-COVID policy that refused to weigh the trade-off of any measure that could even plausibly claim to suppress the pandemic. The other was deference to teachers unions, who were organizing to keep schools closed. Those strands combined into a refusal to acknowledge the scale or importance of losing in-person learning with a moralistic insistence that anybody who disagreed was callous about death or motivated by greed.

Social scientists have measured the factors that drove schools to stay closed last year. One study found schools with unionized teachers, more of which were located in more Democratic-voting districts, were more likely to remain all virtual. Another likewise found “local political partisanship and union strength,” rather than the local severity of COVID, predicted school closing..... "

Last edited by nonniey; 01-22-2022 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:10 AM   #1529
nonniey
The Starter

Another interesting article for Unherd.

https://unherd.com/2022/02/were-masks-a-waste-of-time/

..."Only a few skeptical observers drilled into the data that could be found on sites such as the New York Times — even if the paper’s own reporters made little of it. The most prolific of these was Ian Miller, who over the past two years has published copious data-driven commentary on the track record of various Covid public health interventions.....
Old 02-09-2022, 12:42 PM   #1530
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Another interesting article for Unherd.

https://unherd.com/2022/02/were-masks-a-waste-of-time/

..."Only a few skeptical observers drilled into the data that could be found on sites such as the New York Times — even if the paper’s own reporters made little of it. The most prolific of these was Ian Miller, who over the past two years has published copious data-driven commentary on the track record of various Covid public health interventions.....
But as Miller notes, it was not just during the early months of the pandemic that officials said masks were ineffective. They had said so for years, and Fauci had advised against masks not just in public statements but in private emails in early 2020.

^^ from the article

Fauci wrote: "Masks are really for infected people to prevent them from spreading infection to people who are not infected rather than protecting uninfected people from acquiring infection.

"The typical mask you buy in the drug store is not really effective in keeping out virus, which is small enough to pass through material. It might, however, provide some slight benefit in keep out gross droplets if someone coughs or sneezes on you

^^ this is the actual email (assuming author is referring to this feb '20 email). Pretty clear Dr. Fauci did not say masks are ineffective like the author blanket states.

Me personally ... i think they should have said from day 1 that only N95 or similar masks are truly effective and that the clothe masks are only good for spittle or droplets. I understand the logic being the "noble lie" but it did more harm than good. People think these clothe masks being made in grandmas basement = mask.

But Trump wanted to downplay or temper any panic so he scuttled the idea of sending every american family N95s ...

N95s should have been given to everyone free of charge day 1.

I was in harris Teeter 2 days ago and they just box after box, thousands of N95 masks for free. I could have taken 100 if I wanted. This should have been the scene from day 1.