Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Another school Shooting Nevada

Debating with the enemy

Old 11-03-2013, 07:13 AM   #136
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
You did not read your own link clearly. For example, you missed this important tidbit:
"For children 5 to 14 years of age, firearm suicide rates were 8 times higher, and death rates from unintentional firearm injuries were 10 times higher in the United States than other high-income countries. The difference in rates may be related to the ease of availability of guns in the United States compared with other high-income countries."

That's pretty damning stuff for the gun status quo.

The 15-19 age group was just one age group discussed in the link you posted, which was just one source of the report cited above. The report cited above stands.
When you start talking about children accessing guns in their own household, I'm sorry but how is that in anyway my problem. If someone can't do their due diligence and store their guns properly then society as a whole has to pay the price? That's a terrible argument in my opinion.

If you want to talk about tougher restrictions to buying firearms, like longer waiting periods or more extensive background checks, I'm all ears. Telling me my right to own a firearm should be restricted cause some idiot can't teach their children about gun safety is asinine.

And I completely agree on Banksy, love his stuff.

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #137
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Re: Another school Shooting Nevada

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
When you start talking about children accessing guns in their own household, I'm sorry but how is that in anyway my problem. If someone can't do their due diligence and store their guns properly then society as a whole has to pay the price? That's a terrible argument in my opinion.

If you want to talk about tougher restrictions to buying firearms, like longer waiting periods or more extensive background checks, I'm all ears. Telling me my right to own a firearm should be restricted cause some idiot can't teach their children about gun safety is asinine.

We have ten times the death rate for kids under 14 from guns than other prosperous countries. Ten times. There's obviously more going on than just people who can't store their guns correctly.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #138
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post

Most guns used by kids don't come from the parents.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #139
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
We have ten times the death rate for kids under 14 from guns than other prosperous countries. Ten times. There's obviously more going on than just people who can't store their guns correctly.
Your right. We have a population that is having kids and not giving a shit what they are doing, who they are doing it with, etc... I'm sorry when I here abbout a 14 yr old getting shot on a Tuesday Night at 1:00am my first thought is where the hell are the parents? Why is the kid out so late on a school night? Until we change the culture nothing will change. This even carries over to why we spend more on education and still falling behind.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #140
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Gang culture, as I said earlier. It's a deliberate falsehood to treat this as if we have gun-toting 5 year olds roaming free.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:49 AM   #141
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Most guns used by kids don't come from the parents.
really , break down kids , and any links ?
Old 11-05-2013, 03:59 AM   #142
Giantone
Gamebreaker

.....another gun enthusiast out for fun .

Shooter on the loose at New Jersey mall - CNN.com
Old 11-05-2013, 04:30 AM   #143
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post

What's your point?

* Guns used 2.5 million times a year in self-defense. Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year -- or about 6,850 times a day. [1] This means that each year, firearms are used more than 80 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives. [2]
* Of the 2.5 million times citizens use their guns to defend themselves every year, the overwhelming majority merely brandish their gun or fire a warning shot to scare off their attackers. Less than 8% of the time, a citizen will kill or wound his/her attacker.[3]
* As many as 200,000 women use a gun every year to defend themselves against sexual abuse.[4]
* Even anti-gun Clinton researchers concede that guns are used 1.5 million times annually for self-defense. According to the Clinton Justice Department, there are as many as 1.5 million cases of self-defense every year. The National Institute of Justice published this figure in 1997 as part of "Guns in America" -- a study which was authored by noted anti-gun criminologists Philip Cook and Jens Ludwig.[5]
* Armed citizens kill more crooks than do the police. Citizens shoot and kill at least twice as many criminals as police do every year (1,527 to 606).[6] And readers of Newsweek learned that "only 2 percent of civilian shootings involved an innocent person mistakenly identified as a criminal. The 'error rate' for the police, however, was 11 percent, more than five times as high."[7]

[1] Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz, "Armed Resistance to Crime: The Prevalence and Nature of Self-Defense With a Gun," 86 The Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, Northwestern University School of Law, 1 (Fall 1995):164. Dr. Kleck is a professor in the school of criminology and criminal justice at Florida State University in Tallahassee. He has researched extensively and published several essays on the gun control issue. His book, Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America, has become a widely cited source in the gun control debate.

[2] According to the National Safety Council, the total number of gun deaths (by accidents, suicides and homicides) account for less than 30,000 deaths per year. See Injury Facts, published yearly by the National Safety Council, Itasca, Illinois.
[3] Kleck and Gertz, "Armed Resistance to Crime," at 173, 185.
[4]Kleck and Gertz, "Armed Resistance to Crime," at 185.
[5]Philip J. Cook and Jens Ludwig, "Guns in America: National Survey on Private Ownership and Use of Firearms," NIJ Research in Brief (May 1997); available at http://www.ncjrs.org/txtfiles/165476.txt on the internet.

[6]Kleck, Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America, (1991):111-116, 148.
[7]George F. Will, "Are We 'a Nation of Cowards'?," Newsweek (15 November 1993):93.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #144
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post

its becoming a weekly occurance. sad. I wish the media would stop giving so much time to these people, but hey the more clicks, more advertising, money>general good of society. sad as well.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #145
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Humans are always programmed to look at the worst case scenarios. If someone is brinigng in the groceries with their arms full and they drop their eggs they always make a comment. Nobody comments on the thousands of times thet do it and don't break their eggs. The same is for gun violence. This is a highly devisive issue and I am not sure of the answer. I do believe in an individuals right to own guns, but I also know the statistics of how 75% of guns used in Mexican cartel violence were purchased legally in the U.S. and how over 50% of guns used for crimes in the U.S. that are recovered were stolen from law abiding citizens who don't take (in my mind) proper precautions.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #146
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Humans are always programmed to look at the worst case scenarios. If someone is brinigng in the groceries with their arms full and they drop their eggs they always make a comment. Nobody comments on the thousands of times thet do it and don't break their eggs. The same is for gun violence. This is a highly devisive issue and I am not sure of the answer. I do believe in an individuals right to own guns, but I also know the statistics of how 75% of guns used in Mexican cartel violence were purchased legally in the U.S. and how over 50% of guns used for crimes in the U.S. that are recovered were stolen from law abiding citizens who don't take (in my mind) proper precautions.
Don't forget that repressive regimes around the world use US-gotten guns to enforce their power.
We won more with Vinny
Old 11-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #147
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

More dead kids, this time in Pittsburgh.

3 Pittsburgh students ambushed outside school
We won more with Vinny
Old 11-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #148
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
More dead kids, this time in Pittsburgh.

3 Pittsburgh students ambushed outside school
If you are going to post an article you should probably read it first.

It was 3 young adults wounded with non life threatening wounds. And it was allegedly related to a drug deal gone bad a week or so prior.

When the facts are represented it has a little different tone than, more dead kids again.

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #149
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

mlmdub130

Lotus
Old 11-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #150
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Don't forget that repressive regimes around the world use US-gotten guns to enforce their power.
Can we get a list of regimes? Oh, and could you also list the regimes getting their weapons elsewhere? Maybe throw in the organization deciding who's repressive and what constitutes repression? Is the U.S. listed yet?