Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

A New Look Offense or the Same but Better?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #136
MTK
\m/

Re: A New Look Offense or the Same but Better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
We already know RG3 will be used in the wildcat formation. If the coaches called the wildcat using Brandon Banks in 2010, why not call that same play using Robert Griffin III in 2012?
We do? Has this been confirmed somewhere?

Advertisements
Old 06-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #137
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
No. But once a play is in the playbook, why remove it? It's not a farfetched notion to think that RG3 will be used in the wildcat. Just look at how he ran the ball in college at Baylor.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #138
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Shanahan
We’ve run the quarterback keeps, we’ve run the rolls. We have different types of option schemes available to us. It does present problems for the defense,”
from John Keim article in Examiner
RG3 Report | Washington Examiner
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #139
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
The Redskins worked on more rollouts and option plays for Griffin. But that's not going to be the primary focus of the offense. He's not a young Michael Vick. Shanahan wants RG3 to be a young John Elway.

"It's good that we're implementing some of the option stuff because I have the ability to run it, but I don't want people to think I'm just an option quarterback," Griffin said
Robert Griffin III: I'm not just an option QB - NFL.com
Old 06-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #140
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Russell
Clearly they have been evolving this offense from a running the QB perspective...[Chris Russell] don't like the notion of expecting (Griffin) to take a snap, make a read and immediately take off
06-13-12 Skins @ 1 (11:09)
Chirs Russell talking about Griffin running option
http://www.stationcaster.com/player_...c=427&f=585021

RG3: playbook turning into a second language
:24s mark vid of Griff practicing zone read QB keep

Last edited by 30gut; 06-22-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #141
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

A standard NFL defense should be able to stop the old option play. If the Redskins incorporate this into their offense, they should use it sparingly. Griffin III is a very athletically gifted QB, but most of his runs should be made off schedule during pass plays and not designed for him to just keep the ball and outrun the defense.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #142
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
A standard NFL defense should be able to stop the old option play.
I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about when you say the "old option play" could you be more specific? Or do you mean option concepts as a whole (to include zone-read)?
Because surely, I'm not nor do I think anyone in this thread has suggested running the "old option play".

And when if comes to option concepts the Panthers embarrassed our defense and plenty of other defenses by using different option concepts last year.
Tebow, a QB that doesn't even throw the ball very well, was able to take a 1-4 team and amass a 7-4 record and a playoff win by using option concepts almost exclusively as the basis for their offense.
But, any play or concept can be "stopped" but not without leaving the defense vulnerable somewhere else e.g. if a defense commits to stopping the the zone-read QB keep and the zone-read RB keep then they leave themselves vulenrable against playaction passing:

Option concepts are sound football concepts tried and true over a long period of time.
Its not a gimmick play, at its core option concepts that include the QB as a run threat create a numerical advantage over the defense.
The question is how much contact is a team willing to expose they're QB to and how much contact can the QB handle and how smart is the QB about protecting themself?

Quote:
If the Redskins incorporate this into their offense, they should use it sparingly. Griffin III is a very athletically gifted QB, but most of his runs should be made off schedule during pass plays
If most of Griff's run come off schedule then imo an entire facet of the offense that his unique skillset provides will be ignored.

Quote:
and not designed for him to just keep the ball and outrun the defense
I think this is a very generic and overly simplistic approach/opinion of how Griffin's running ability would be used as a threat to the defense.

Last edited by 30gut; 06-23-2012 at 04:18 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #143
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Nothing has been confirmed. If they used Brandon Banks in the wildcat in 2010, why wouldn't they use Griffin in the wildcat now? Didn't Mike Shanahan or Kyle Shanahan say that they were incorporating plays for Griffin?
Old 06-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #144
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Nothing has been confirmed. If they used Brandon Banks in the wildcat in 2010, why wouldn't they use Griffin in the wildcat now? Didn't Mike Shanahan or Kyle Shanahan say that they were incorporating plays for Griffin?
You CAN'T wildcat Griffin. By definition the wildcat is a formation in which someone other than the normal QB takes the snap.

You can incorporate running plays or run/pass options for Griffin (I hope we are) but that is different from a wildcat.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #145
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Nothing has been confirmed. If they used Brandon Banks in the wildcat in 2010, why wouldn't they use Griffin in the wildcat now?
When?

This is NOT any wildcat formation.

This IS a wildcat formation.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:43 AM   #146
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about when you say the "old option play" could you be more specific? Or do you mean option concepts as a whole (to include zone-read)?
Because surely, I'm not nor do I think anyone in this thread has suggested running the "old option play".

And when if comes to option concepts the Panthers embarrassed our defense and plenty of other defenses by using different option concepts last year.
Tebow, a QB that doesn't even throw the ball very well, was able to take a 1-4 team and amass a 7-4 record and a playoff win by using option concepts almost exclusively as the basis for their offense.
But, any play or concept can be "stopped" but not without leaving the defense vulnerable somewhere else e.g. if a defense commits to stopping the the zone-read QB keep and the zone-read RB keep then they leave themselves vulenrable against playaction passing:

Tim Tebow game winning touchdown to Demaryius Thomas Denver Broncos vs Pittsburgh Steelers today - YouTube

Option concepts are sound football concepts tried and true over a long period of time.
Its not a gimmick play, at its core option concepts that include the QB as a run threat create a numerical advantage over the defense.
The question is how much contact is a team willing to expose they're QB to and how much contact can the QB handle and how smart is the QB about protecting themself?

If most of Griff's run come off schedule then imo an entire facet of the offense that his unique skillset provides will be ignored.

I think this is a very generic and overly simplistic approach/opinion of how Griffin's running ability would be used as a threat to the defense.
The term 'old option play' was used by old timers such as Pat Summerall and Lou Holtz. The wishbone offense or the option play is one of the oldest plays in the game of football today.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #147
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
The term 'old option play' was used by old timers such as Pat Summerall and Lou Holtz. The wishbone offense or the option play is one of the oldest plays in the game of football today.
I'm asking you what you mean by 'old option play' because there is no singular 'option play'.

The option is a football concept that is applied in various formations and systems.
Those systems are termed "option" because the execution of the play is deteremined by the ballcarrier reading/keying* off a defender giving them the option* to either keep the ball or give the ball to another possible ball carrier. Usually the read/keyed defender is unblocked by design to give the offense a numerical advantage in blocking elsewhere.
*(hence the term: read option )

Also, the wishbone is another formation/system that can be option but doesn't have to be, their are plenty of teams that use wishbone formation and don't option.

So, I ask again, what are you refering to when you say option?
I've been quite specific when I refer to option throughout this thread and like I've mentioned already in my previous post evidence on how/why option concepts are not as easily defended as you seem to think.

Lets not speak in platitudes when we can have a real football X's and O's conversation and discuss in specifics.
The aim for most of my threads is to have an honest to goodness football discussion.

Last edited by 30gut; 06-24-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #148
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
You CAN'T wildcat Griffin. By definition the wildcat is a formation in which someone other than the normal QB takes the snap.

You can incorporate running plays or run/pass options for Griffin (I hope we are) but that is different from a wildcat.
lol pretty much ends the conversation right here
Old 06-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #149
saden1
MVP

We can't possibly be worse with Rex riding the bench, even if we finish the season 2-14.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #150
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
their are plenty of teams that use wishbone formation and don't option.
such as?