Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #16
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Re: Skip Bayless - "White fans will root for Cousins"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
ESPN stirring the race pot once again.

I'm white, in fact, Irish descent and I'm rooting for RGIII.
I honestly always though you were African American.

Interesting.

Advertisements
Old 08-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #17
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I honestly always though you were African American.

Interesting.
Why, because I have monkey in my name? Are you racist too?

Old 08-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #18
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
His argument for Cousins is he's been playing in a pro-set, under center offense for several years now that he'd likely have more instant success than Griffin. But his upside isn't anything to write home about.

My somewhat educated guess is that Skip won't last past his current contract.
Do you happen to know if his current deal is almost up?

Honestly, isn't this comment so stupid that it's almost fire-able? I know he won't actually get canned for this, but a big part of me feels like he really should. I'm really not easily offended at all, but to me, this insults the intelligence of just about every white Redskins fan, myself included, in that it says we're either too dumb or inherently racist enough to value our own prejudice over talent.
Obviously skip has the right to his personal opinion but at this point I don't see how ESPN can justify paying to tell it - but then again, controversy sells.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #19
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
His argument for Cousins is he's been playing in a pro-set, under center offense for several years now that he'd likely have more instant success than Griffin. But his upside isn't anything to write home about.
I gues that's why he's a "journalist" and not an analyst. LOL.

Quote:
My somewhat educated guess is that Skip won't last past his current contract.
I hope you're right.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #20
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
Do you happen to know if his current deal is almost up?

Honestly, isn't this comment so stupid that it's almost fire-able? I know he won't actually get canned for this, but a big part of me feels like he really should. I'm really not easily offended at all, but to me, this insults the intelligence of just about every white Redskins fan, myself included, in that it says we're either too dumb or inherently racist enough to value our own prejudice over talent.
Obviously skip has the right to his personal opinion but at this point I don't see how ESPN can justify paying to tell it - but then again, controversy sells.
I'm not sure actually. I do know his new boss isn't a huge fan. I'm a little surprised this is getting so much attention now, but didn't when he said it before. I'm sure it will be discussed again today
Old 08-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #21
scowan
The Starter

He won't get fired, but if it was Rush Limbaugh that said those things, he would have been fired right after the broadcast. Ok, I'm white and I love RG3. I also love Kirk Cousins. I also understand that Kirk was playing againt 3rd and 4th stringers and RG3 was being sent a message by the Bears 1st string the other night "Welcome to the NFL Rookie!" I'm glad it happened in Week 2 of the preseason and could be a learning experience for RG3 before the games count. Thank you Chicago Bears. Kirk would have been running for his life as well in the 1st QTR the other night. that being said, Kirk can make plays and so far with his limited sample size, he makes better decisions than Rex and should be our number 2 on September 9th, but Skip is just crazy to say those things and is just making headlines that other meadia types can't get away with.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #22
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
I gues that's why he's a "journalist" and not an analyst. LOL.

I hope you're right.
In some ways, I see what he's saying.

Got your PM. Let me check
Old 08-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #23
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
It's Skip's comments, not reflective of all of ESPN.
Of course. We hear that all of the time.

The company clearly has some kind of obsession with race.

They just called Redskins fans racist basically. Bayless works for ESPN, he represents ESPN. I don't see that he's been fired for it. ESPN said it. They relish the attention and controversy. It's not Skip's first offense. He said some really questionable things in a Blake Griffin discussion on air once, talking about the need for more white stars in the NBA. I don't even see skin color when I'm watching a game, I just like basketball. I don't get people who even think like this.

They fired that guy for his completely non-racist "chink in the armor" comment about Jeremy Lin. No one else saw the racism there. No one else thought he was intentionally using that as a reference to Lin's skin color. ESPN did.

Bob Greise called NASCAR driver Juan Pablo-Montoya a "taco-eater" during a college football game. He's friom Columbia, not Mexico.

They posted an article about Hines Ward's retirement, a part-Korean player with the headline "No Happy Endings". Sure, it's not racist or perverted obviously, but it sure did incite the questions and they love stirring the pot for attention.

Stephen A. Smith is constantly bringing race and politics into his "sports" rants.

Remember the big ESPN-initiated race debate over Rush Limbaugh's comments about McNabb? Here's his honest, non-racist comments in context.

Limbaugh: "I don't think he's been that good from the get-go. I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. I think the media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. They're interested in black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well. I think there's a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of his team that he really didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

Really, what's racist about that? Back then, maybe people did not see the media's obsession with race, but if you don't see it after the last Presidential election, you never will.

After what we saw out of McNabb on our team, can anyone really deny that McNabb was anything other than a system QB that got carried by others on his team? Put him anywhere else outside of Andy Reid and he was complete garbage. We've also been hearing the "black QB" nonsense since Doug Williams, through McNabb, Vince Young, Jason Campbell, Mike Vick...now to Newton and Griffin. A lot of people, mostly the media, specifically ESPN still sees "black quarterbacks" and does give them a lot of attention for that reason alone. Cam Newton's play earned his attention. Doug Williams earned his. Any others...who cares what color they are? They either win or they don't. That's what most fans really care about. I don't care that Kirk Cousins is white and Griffin is black. I want the best one to play and lead my team to wins. That's it, ESPN.

ESPN is the one who roots and reports based on someone's skin color. They have a long, ugly history of it that anyone who hasn't collected a paycheck from them can see.

Then there was Steve Phillips and his John Edwards-like mess.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #24
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:

No I would have never thought that; I think of you as Buster anyways.

Just your mannerisms (not any bad way) on here made me think that. We all have a mental picture of everyone on here. I just mentally pictured you as African American.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #25
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Well you've made clear time and again your hatred for ESPN here. I also think your comments in the past on this board make it ironic you'd accuse others of being racist. But whatever, best we just ignore each other on this matter.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #26
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

MonkeyDad, I think the Limbaugh comparison is different. Limbaugh is a well known, well documented, and established bigot and racist, which made his hiring by ESPN very difficult to stomach. Skip isnt imo.

He Gets Us
Old 08-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #27
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
No I would have never thought that; I think of you as Buster anyways.

Just your mannerisms (not any bad way) on here made me think that. We all have a mental picture of everyone on here. I just mentally pictured you as African American.
That's funny. Thanks for the morning laugh.

If you saw me, you'd feel ridiculous. I'm a white accountant.

Goes to show you that you can't trust anything you see online I guess. Man, I thought posting a Britney Spears video in the music thread would have made it clear.

Matty loved that post.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #28
RGIII

Quote:

Let's not play with that. Anyway, where are all of the Cousins supporters on this issue? What Bayless shouldn't be talking about is a sensitive issue. Whether people will admit our ogre not, there is a significant number of people who question the ability of blacks in leadership roles. See Obama. Is there a double standard? Are people in denial?
Old 08-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #29
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
MonkeyDad, I think the Limbaugh comparison is different. Limbaugh is a well known, well documented, and established bigot and racist, which made his hiring by ESPN very difficult to stomach. Skip isnt imo.
Oh he is? Documented by who? The media who has been trying to destroy his career for 25 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGIII View Post
Let's not play with that. Anyway, where are all of the Cousins supporters on this issue? What Bayless shouldn't be talking about is a sensitive issue. Whether people will admit our ogre not, there is a significant number of people who question the ability of blacks in leadership roles. See Obama. Is there a double standard? Are people in denial?

Oh no you didn't.

Quote:
Well you've made clear time and again your hatred for ESPN here. I also think your comments in the past on this board make it ironic you'd accuse others of being racist. But whatever, best we just ignore each other on this matter.

Not just ESPN, but all of these media outlets who no longer exist to present news, but to start controversy and push their agenda. Some of us just want the news, without your out-of-touch opinions.

My comments in the past? If you knew me in real like, you could not possibly accuse me of being a racist. I think the whole "he's on the other side politically so he must automatically be a racist" mindset is kicking in again. My first candidate of choice this election time was Herman Cain until he resigned. Why? His business sense and economic understanding, not because of his skin color.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #30
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I'm going to lock this thread because I sense it's about to descend into hell, and there's not much more to say on it.