Skip Bayless owned on TV

Other Sports

Old 04-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #16
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Re: Skip Bayless owned on TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru View Post
Is anyone else severely annoyed by Stephen A Smith? Anytime he comes on tv I feel compelled to switch the channel.
Stephen A Smith gets really personal and demeaning when arguing points. He acts if it's not his point, then you are a stupid idiot. He even treats them as such. I would have already busted his lip if he ever talked to me the way he does some of his co-workers. Then again, maybe they ask him and pay them to do that merely for ratings.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #17
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Stephen A Smith gets really personal and demeaning when arguing points. He acts if it's not his point, then you are a stupid idiot. He even treats them as such. I would have already busted his lip if he ever talked to me the way he does some of his co-workers. Then again, maybe they ask him and pay them to do that merely for ratings.
No one asks him. That's how he is. Rather chivalrous with the ladies though. Funny thing is he and Skip are like bff's...which may not be too surprising really.

My favorite moment with Stephen A. was when he was interviewing a college basketball coach one time. And I can't remember the coach or the school but the coach was talking about the upcoming season and he mentioned how a certain player wasn't returning next season. Again, I can't remember his name, let's just call him Matty for now.

So the coach is talking and he says "well we won't have Matty next year" and he keeps talking.

Then Stephen A. chimes in and is like "Hold up. Hold up. Hold up! Are you telling me right here. Are you saying right now on national television. Are you saying that Matty won't return next year. Is that what you're saying??? (of course he's yelling the whole time)"

The coach looks back at him kind of confused and says..."Well yeah. Matty's a senior, he's graduating"

Oh man, I still laugh about that
Old 04-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #18
dmek25
MVP

there is a reason they call him screaming Stephen...worked for the local Philly papers for a while. cant figure out how he stays employed
Old 04-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #19
dmek25
MVP

after watching the follow up, skip bayless is a bigger douce then i thought
Old 04-12-2012, 12:30 AM   #20
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Excellent clip. You almost never hear this kind of honesty on a talking heads show. Loved all three guys in this. Isn't it funny how the guy who seemingly had a temper on the court was the one who processed information first and provided the most thoughtful counters?

my blather
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #21
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Every time Stephen A. Smith comes on TV I can't help to think.....

ITS GONNA RAIN.

Skip bothers me a lot less, he takes the controversial side of every argument, but sports reporting is boring if two people take the same stance on a lot of issues. TO me, I see that as the format of the show, and taking a stance like that can get you in trouble sometimes.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #22
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
I watched a lot of this, but I had to pause it to comment. Jalen makes the point that he doesn't like that Stephen A and Skip cross a line and disrespect people. I agree with that. Then, this happens:

Skip: "He gets paid how much?"
Jalen: "So, based on how much I get paid you should be able to disrespect me?"
Skip: "He's out in the public domain, man!"

Wait...what are we talking about here? We have a 25 minute segment because Jalen hurt Skip's feelings yesterday and he felt attacked by Jalen. Okay, how about this Skip, "You get paid how much? You're in the public domain, man!"

Done. You lose. You don't get to argue that what he gets paid and the manner in which he applies his craft makes him fair game and then take offense when people take shots at you. Man, this whole thing somehow made me hate Skip more.

EDIT: Just finished this video and Skip did say you can call him out on his opinions. However, if you can go on tv and say anything about an athlete, why can't said athlete treat you the same way? I want to know how what he does every day is different than what Jalen did to him.
I think he was more upset about his integrity being questioned, Jalen essentially calling him a liar. But that was Skip's fault for only tweeting part of his story about playing basketball in high school. And I think he said as much.

I went to a few First Take tapings and off-camera Skip gets teased/needled/abused whatever you want to call it a fair amount. It's all love of course...or is it? Anyhow, he takes it as well as he dishes it out.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #23
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I think he was more upset about his integrity being questioned, Jalen essentially calling him a liar. But that was Skip's fault for only tweeting part of his story about playing basketball in high school. And I think he said as much.

I went to a few First Take tapings and off-camera Skip gets teased/needled/abused whatever you want to call it a fair amount. It's all love of course...or is it? Anyhow, he takes it as well as he dishes it out.
I guess that's fair. When I found about this, my reaction was pretty much, "People still take this guy seriously?" I've never enjoyed listening to Skip Bayless, if he believes half of what comes out of his mouth, he's an idiot. To me, it was more like Jalen calling him on his BS than anything else. I'm not saying he was trying to outright lie, but I don't doubt that he was trying to mislead people.

Also, who cares what you did in high school? That has absolutely no bearing on how you judge Westbrook. I mean, seriously, how does "I got benched in high school because I was a point guard who shot too much" relate in any way to "(NBA Player) Russell Westbrook should know better, Durant should have a problem with him." How do you even make that connection?

While we're saying stuff like that, I played defensive end on my 70 lb team until I was 10, I was even better (at that age) than a few people who got college scholarships, therefore, you should know that I'm speaking from experience when I say DeMarcus Ware should bull rush more. Disregard the fact that I only ever registered like 2 tackles while playing end; that's not important to this discussion.

IMO Bayless was being dishonest by even bringing up his high school experience and using that to justify his points.

TL;DR I have a confirmation bias against Skip Bayless and I love seeing him embarassed/proven wrong. Also, I'm long winded and wrote way too much about something I care very little about.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote