Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Was a Superbowl Flyover Worth the $

Debating with the enemy

Old 02-18-2011, 02:49 PM   #46
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Re: Was a Superbowl Flyover Worth the $

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but it is somewhat related. From what I understand, these are the responsibilities of all of the branches. Without a doubt there is overlap between nearly all the branches. Most branches have some sort of land, air, and sea forces available to them, and duties overlap a certain amount, but in relatively generic terms:

Marines: Push and capture new territory. They are the front line guys that secure locations.
Army: Retain the locations and start the rebuilding process (if necessary)
Navy/Air Force: Typically they are the support branches where when requested they will provide adequate sea/air power to support the Marines and the Army.

Obviously this is referring to the typical wartime activities. I know that the Air Force and Army have pretty big cyber outfits as well.

Kinda random, but this dude has the most awesome title ever:
Vice Admiral David J. "Jack" Dorsett
Deputy Chief of Naval Operations for Information Dominance

Advertisements
Old 02-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #47
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but it is somewhat related. From what I understand, these are the responsibilities of all of the branches. Without a doubt there is overlap between nearly all the branches. Most branches have some sort of land, air, and sea forces available to them, and duties overlap a certain amount, but in relatively generic terms:

Marines: Push and capture new territory. They are the front line guys that secure locations.
Army: Retain the locations and start the rebuilding process (if necessary)
Navy/Air Force: Typically they are the support branches where when requested they will provide adequate sea/air power to support the Marines and the Army.

Obviously this is referring to the typical wartime activities. I know that the Air Force and Army have pretty big cyber outfits as well.

Kinda random, but this dude has the most awesome title ever:
Vice Admiral David J. "Jack" Dorsett
Deputy Chief of Naval Operations for Information Dominance
This is a general perception that I canot stand because it is not entirely true. First off, the Army is always the first ones in along with the CIA. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_...2%80%93present)

Quote:
After the refusal of the Taliban regime to cease harbouring al-Qaeda, on October 7, 2001 the U.S. government launched military operations in Afghanistan. Teams from the CIA's Special Activities Division (SAD) were the first U.S. forces to enter Afghanistan and begin combat operations. They were soon joined by U.S. Army Special Forces from the 5th Special Forces Group and other units from USSOCOM.[93][94][95]
That is pretty much how every campaign starts off.

The Marines are more specialized for beach front assaults but as you said they do overlap. The Marines are used in a similar fashion as the Army's front line units AKA Combat Arms Units (Rangers, Infantry, Calvary, Armor and Artillery). The Army and Marines both go in and grab a piece of territory. Because the Marines are fewer in numbers they are not equiped to occupy it as the Army can. The Army uses its Combat Support and Combat Service Support units to occupy ground and rebuild as you suggested earlier.

Because the Marines are small and so specialized they always get the credit for being the first ones in because it is all that they do. In reality they were perhaps given the mission of pushing through one region while the Army's Combat Arms units were given the mission of pushing through several others.

I am not taking anything away from the Marines because I respect all of my brothers in arms. However, giving them total credit for being the "First" ones in is total crap because they were fighting either along side of us or had a separate simultaneous responsibility.

Last edited by KLHJ2; 02-18-2011 at 05:53 PM.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #48
BuckSkin
Special Teams

That is a very simplistic, yet comprehensiven explanation Angry, thank you. Doctrinally speaking the USMC is a quick strike, tenacious branch of our military. They however are, as Angry said specialized, lacking logistical assets. The Army is a stand alone branch of our military... possessing all of the assets to survive a prolonged war. Logistics, communication, intelligence, personnel services, medical and of course combat forces.