Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Hey Mr. Chosen one

Debating with the enemy

Old 12-22-2010, 07:51 AM   #1
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Hey Mr. Chosen one

Gas prices are as climbing back into the stupid range.
Are you even acknowledging this?
Do you even have a plan?
One that wont take 50 years.......?

Edited because I did crappy homework before I made this post.
Sorry, I was riding the stupid train for a minute there.

Last edited by Alvin Walton; 12-22-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Alvin Walton is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-22-2010, 08:13 AM   #2
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Re: Hey Mr. Chosen one

"Gas prices are as high as they ever were during your predecessors admin"? I disagree:

U.S. Retail Gasoline Prices
Old 12-22-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
Schneed10
A Dude

And after one post, this thread = fail.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
MTK
\m/

People sure have amazing memories these days.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
Schneed10
A Dude

I'd like to add that the POTUS has almost ZERO control over gas prices. The Fed doesn't even have meaningful control of it. Nobody does, it's almost completely driven by external economic factors.

Which is exactly why our leaders constantly say we need to break our dependence on foreign oil. They have no control over the prices; if Africa suddenly became a developing economy with need for oil like China and India, our prices would skyrocket and there'd be nothing we could do about it.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Man, threads like these make me understand why our Founding Fathers insisted on an Electoral College.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
GMScud
Swearinger

Thread hell.... calling thread hell.....
Old 12-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I'd like to add that the POTUS has almost ZERO control over gas prices. The Fed doesn't even have meaningful control of it. Nobody does, it's almost completely driven by external economic factors.

Which is exactly why our leaders constantly say we need to break our dependence on foreign oil. They have no control over the prices; if Africa suddenly became a developing economy with need for oil like China and India, our prices would skyrocket and there'd be nothing we could do about it.
So your saying that stopping US companies from drilling oil off the gulf coast will not drive up prices? While I agree goverment does not control supply and demand they do have some control over things that do drive up and down the price of oil.

Why was this thread even started? Did someone say the cost of gas was higher now then with Bush? I think I paid almost $4.00 at one point under Bush.

You also say Nobody has control over gas prices but Opec has a ton of control over prices. Why do you think they control the the flow of oil to the market?

Last edited by firstdown; 12-22-2010 at 12:03 PM.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
So your saying that stopping US companies from drilling oil off the gulf coast will not drive up prices? While I agree goverment does not control supply and demand they do have some control over things that do drive up and down the price of oil.

Why was this thread even started? Did someone say the cost of gas was higher now then with Bush? I think I paid almost $4.00 at one point under Bush.

You also say Nobody have control over gas prices but Opec has a ton of control over prices. Why do you think they control the the flow of oil to the market?
You answered your question there buddy. OPEC controls flow. Nobody else. Drilling or not drilling doesn't fix crap. So we drill, more oil, OPEC responds by curtailing production..oil stays the same. We stop drilling, less oil, OPEC gradually expands productions, oil stays the same. The only thing that affects price on gas in this country is supply and processing capacity. OPEC directly controls supply. Capacity is function of the market and other external factors. POTUS controls neither.

Edit: All drilling does is change the source a tiny bit and give us a little less reliance on the foreign oil. But there isn't enough to eliminate the the need for most of our oil to come from OPEC. As long as the OPEC cartel controls the vast majority of oil in the world they control the price.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:01 PM   #10
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
You answered your question there buddy. OPEC controls flow. Nobody else. Drilling or not drilling doesn't fix crap. So we drill, more oil, OPEC responds by curtailing production..oil stays the same. We stop drilling, less oil, OPEC gradually expands productions, oil stays the same. The only thing that affects price on gas in this country is supply and processing capacity. OPEC directly controls supply. Capacity is function of the market and other external factors. POTUS controls neither.

Edit: All drilling does is change the source a tiny bit and give us a little less reliance on the foreign oil. But there isn't enough to eliminate the the need for most of our oil to come from OPEC. As long as the OPEC cartel controls the vast majority of oil in the world they control the price.
Your leaving out the commodities market and future trading. The perception that less oil will be drilled does drive up the price there. Sometimes its a short term spike or a long term thing.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote