DWOC's International Burn a Koran Day

Debating with the enemy

Old 09-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Re: DWOC's International Burn a Koran Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Would you conclude that Iran and its people? Talked to a friend of a friend several times who has been and lived in Iran and said a strong majority of Iranians are not only peace loving, but enjoy western culture. They understand its politics which divide the governments of the us and iran. He says its more obivious with the 30 and under crowd. This guy is not middle eastern or persian either, pale irish decent...its funny how media can twist sh*t
what is the question?
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
what is the question?
"it was just a small violent faction of Americans responsible and not the majority who are peace loving?"

you previous statement about shouldnt muslim understand its not a true representation of our country. Im saying their is misrepresentation here at home as well of muslims abroad.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Well, I am not generally an advocate of such things but if we did, would muslims then conclude that it was just a small violent faction of Americans responsible and not the majority who are peace loving?

Are we talking rouge American terrorist militiamen attacking Mecca? They shouldn't get mad at all Americans but at the very least they should be able to invade the states where these men came from.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
Hog1

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Are we talk rouge American terrorist militiamen attacking Mecca? They shouldn't get mad at all Americans but at the very least they should be able to invade the states where these men came from.
They could.....try
AND you can rest assured, if "they" were a big enough dog, they would. And maybe they are. They are good at that sort of thing........
Old 09-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
saden1
MVP

Quote:
They could.....try
AND you can rest assured, if "they" were a big enough dog, they would. And maybe they are. They are good at that sort of thing........

You don't have to be top dog to do damage....No men are more dangerous than those who have nothing to lose.

Quote:
To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

-Sun Tzu

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:50 PM   #6
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Well, I am not generally an advocate of such things but if we did, would muslims then conclude that it was just a small violent faction of Americans responsible and not the majority who are peace loving?
Who gives a shit? Do we lower our standards because "that's what them damn muslims do..?" Of course not. I don't particularly love any culture that basis itself upon religion, especially when said religion involves placing wholly illogical restrictions and consequences on my favorite 50% of the population, but- This whole "I don't like you so I'll burn something you feel is important" thing is juvenile at best. What adult that you know converses in such a manner? Of course, the undeveloped mind does tend to flock to this sort of thing. It's not like this is a group of Rhodes scholars we are talking about.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:47 PM   #7
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
Who gives a shit? Do we lower our standards because "that's what them damn muslims do..?" Of course not. I don't particularly love any culture that basis itself upon religion, especially when said religion involves placing wholly illogical restrictions and consequences on my favorite 50% of the population, but- This whole "I don't like you so I'll burn something you feel is important" thing is juvenile at best. What adult that you know converses in such a manner? Of course, the undeveloped mind does tend to flock to this sort of thing. It's not like this is a group of Rhodes scholars we are talking about.
You bring up an interesting point about adults behaving like juveniles, because as it pertains to religion, logic and rationalization tends to be suspended in favor of raw emotions, usually fear and anger, and feelings. There's nothing logical about burning a Quran. And there's nothing sane about running two commercial line planes into the Twin Towers either, although the men who comitted the act were college educated. But Marx was certainly on to something when he said "religion is the opiate of the people".

What we have here is a classic example of extremism vs. absolutism. In both cases, the actions of a fringe element don't properly represent or reflect the values and teachings of the respective religions. Islam has been so westernized and politicized following the events of 9/11 that most Americans really don't know what the Quran actually teaches or to whom it applies. So just as it's wrong to condemn one religion with a vile and dispicable act, I also believe it's wrong to throw out the baby with the bathwater and say that all religion is evil because of the actions of a minority. I guess one could also make an argument about the difference between faith and religion, but I'm not here to fight that battle, nor do I care to.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

This has nothing to do with Bush, Obama, Clinton, Reagan, McKinley, Hayes, Filmore or any other President
Old 09-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #9
over the mountain
Playmaker

dont american citizens who view the koran as vile and hate filled have a right to express their feelings? in america?

while their feelings might be misguided to seemingly most of us here (their disdain towards minority extreme militants colors thier overly broad disdain for all islams) dont they have a right to express their feelings in a civil and organized manner?

the 1st amendment, freedom of speech and expression in this country wasnt put in place to protect the right of americans to say "yahoo for the US!" but to protect the rights and viewpoints of the fringe minority groups to organize and express themselves in a civil manner.

i think when the SC looks at what is protected speech vs hate speech they look towards, in part, the intent of the speaker. thats to say, the court wont block someone from saying something only based upon another persons unreasonable reaction.

if i burn the koran for the purpose of symbolizing my dislike for its teachings and not to incite a riot or jihad, i feel like i have that right in america. the fact that a group of people might be hyper-sensitive to my act shouldnt allow the courts or gov't to preclude me from doing so.

to decide what is and what isnt protected speech based upon others hyper-sensitive reactions would leave a mute world.

idk thoo i spent most of my time smoking tie stick and bowling at the ROTC. i dont really remember much.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
dont american citizens who view the koran as vile and hate filled have a right to express their feelings? in america?

while their feelings might be misguided to seemingly most of us here (their disdain towards minority extreme militants colors thier overly broad disdain for all islams) dont they have a right to express their feelings in a civil and organized manner?

the 1st amendment, freedom of speech and expression in this country wasnt put in place to protect the right of americans to say "yahoo for the US!" but to protect the rights and viewpoints of the fringe minority groups to organize and express themselves in a civil manner.

i think when the SC looks at what is protected speech vs hate speech they look towards, in part, the intent of the speaker. thats to say, the court wont block someone from saying something only based upon another persons unreasonable reaction.

if i burn the koran for the purpose of symbolizing my dislike for its teachings and not to incite a riot or jihad, i feel like i have that right in america. the fact that a group of people might be hyper-sensitive to my act shouldnt allow the courts or gov't to preclude me from doing so.

to decide what is and what isnt protected speech based upon others hyper-sensitive reactions would leave a mute world.

idk thoo i spent most of my time smoking tie stick and bowling at the ROTC. i dont really remember much.
I don't think anyone here is arguing whether or not they have a right to, they certainly do. But the fact that they are doing it in the name of Islam being bad and showing their disdain for radical Muslims, they fail to see that they just come off looking like a bunch of stupid radical Christians.

But I read an article about this on Yahoo News and a user comment on there said it best: "If radical Christians want to piss off radical Muslims, why intervene? Let them wipe each other off the face of the earth so regular people can have some peace and quiet."

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #11
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
I don't think anyone here is arguing whether or not they have a right to, they certainly do. But the fact that they are doing it in the name of Islam being bad and showing their disdain for radical Muslims, they fail to see that they just come off looking like a bunch of stupid radical Christians.

But I read an article about this on Yahoo News and a user comment on there said it best: "If radical Christians want to piss off radical Muslims, why intervene? Let them wipe each other off the face of the earth so regular people can have some peace and quiet."
That's the sad irony. They are acting like the Taliban to show how much they hate the Taliban.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #12
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

p.s. this thread needs a TTE sighting right about now... Politics threads have been eerily quiet lately..

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #13
Hog1

BTW.......it's Quran
not Koran as in Korea
Old 09-08-2010, 11:04 PM   #14
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
BTW.......it's Quran
not Koran as in Korea
It has been transliterated in several different forms, your example being one of them. I believe that the most "accepted" as far as beliefs/accuracy goes is "Qur'an" but I could be mistaken.

lol @ Koran as in Korea.. where were you going with that?
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #15
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
It has been transliterated in several different forms, your example being one of them. I believe that the most "accepted" as far as beliefs/accuracy goes is "Qur'an" but I could be mistaken.

lol @ Koran as in Korea.. where were you going with that?

Add one "e" and it's "Korean" maybe? Side note, Firstdown spells Quran with at least two f's, one z and possibly a j.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote