Wow...not much else I can really say...

Straub: 'The system failed'
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

re: Drunk Indianapolis cop mows down 3 people, has charges dropped

This is horrible. The thought of a cop driving drunk is bad enough, but to do so while on duty, in a squad car with flashers on is insane!
I feel horrible for the family of the man who died and for the others who were injured but now that the FBI is involved I think justice will be served one way or the other even with some of the charges dropped.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:39 AM   #3
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

these are the type of crime stories that burn me up. Man I couldnt say if i could control myself if i was any of the victims' family. This pussy cop would have a serious beating coming...

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
KLHJ2
Inactive

But he didn't appear to be impaired...oh except for maybe the fact that he plowed into a couple of motorcycles stopped at a red light.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
these are the type of crime stories that burn me up. Man I couldnt say if i could control myself if i was any of the victims' family. This pussy cop would have a serious beating coming...
Beating? This is an eye for an eye murking situation.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #6
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Re: Drunk Indianapolis cop mows down 3 people, has charges dropped

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Beating? This is an eye for an eye murking situation.
Remember, an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:08 PM   #7
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

If it was anybody else who had done it they'd leave it up to the defense's lawyers to figure out if the person drawing blood was authorized. So not only did they botch the sampling, but whoever was investigating put that out there when it didn't need to come out in court. Maybe the municipality would be providing his defense and that's why.

At least he's still facing:

"That leaves a Class C felony count of reckless homicide as the most serious charge, alongside two newly filed Class D felony counts of criminal recklessness."

Hopefully the judge maxes out some of those charges due to him not facing the others.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:12 PM   #8
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
But he didn't appear to be impaired...oh except for maybe the fact that he plowed into a couple of motorcycles stopped at a red light.
These guys are used to nabbing people right at .08, you can't tell me that at .19 they didn't smell it on his breath or he didn't have red eyes.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:28 AM   #9
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
These guys are used to nabbing people right at .08, you can't tell me that at .19 they didn't smell it on his breath or he didn't have red eyes.
I agree completely but there is a counter argument there.

First, it depends on what he was drinking. There are some drinks that have very pungent smells and others that don't. Vodka is a good example. It's hard to detect odor comming from a person if they have been drinking it. Still I doubt that this guy was pounding Smirnof Ice in his squad car.

The eyes do not begin to get red until the body begins to get dehydrated. This usually occurs after a few hour of drinking once the liver has began to process the alcohol on a continual basis. If he had pounded whatever he was drinking very fast and then rushed off to the call then his eyes might not yet have been bloodshot. Given the fact that he was at .19 and was intoxicated enough to not see motorcycles stopped at a light leads me to believe that he had been drinking for a while though. So yes, his eyes should have been red.

One more thing if the cop was working the night shift it is possiple that his eyes are red already from doing shift work. Let me explain, when you work at night and have to sleep durring the day it can be very difficult to get any actual rest. The next night when you go to work you are actually more tired than the day before. Doing this for long periods of time just makes you tired all of the time.

Now I have done shift work and the effects of fatigue are similar to those of alcohol consumption. It is possible that they just thought he was tired. I can understand that but the fact remains that he slammed into 2 motorcycles. He should have been given a breathalyzer right there on the spot.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #10
GhettoDogAllStars
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
I agree completely but there is a counter argument there.

First, it depends on what he was drinking. There are some drinks that have very pungent smells and others that don't. Vodka is a good example. It's hard to detect odor comming from a person if they have been drinking it. Still I doubt that this guy was pounding Smirnof Ice in his squad car.

The eyes do not begin to get red until the body begins to get dehydrated. This usually occurs after a few hour of drinking once the liver has began to process the alcohol on a continual basis. If he had pounded whatever he was drinking very fast and then rushed off to the call then his eyes might not yet have been bloodshot. Given the fact that he was at .19 and was intoxicated enough to not see motorcycles stopped at a light leads me to believe that he had been drinking for a while though. So yes, his eyes should have been red.

One more thing if the cop was working the night shift it is possiple that his eyes are red already from doing shift work. Let me explain, when you work at night and have to sleep durring the day it can be very difficult to get any actual rest. The next night when you go to work you are actually more tired than the day before. Doing this for long periods of time just makes you tired all of the time.

Now I have done shift work and the effects of fatigue are similar to those of alcohol consumption. It is possible that they just thought he was tired. I can understand that but the fact remains that he slammed into 2 motorcycles. He should have been given a breathalyzer right there on the spot.
I know you're just playing devil's advocate, but I would guess it is standard procedure to investigate drunk driving suspicions for all accidents. In other words, if police arrive to the scene of an accident and don't at least check for intoxication -- no matter what the surrounding circumstances are -- then they are simply not doing their job as first responders to a potential criminal scene. If this is not the law in Indiana, then it should be. Same goes for all states, IMO.

In any case, I'm willing to bet that the city and the cops and whoever else is at fault will get their asses handed to them in civil court.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:24 PM   #11
JPPT1974
Special Teams

Sadly it is like the cop has a get away with it badge. If you know what I mean.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:04 AM   #12
gafinfan
Camp Scrub

Cops are no more than a reflection of the society they come from. There are both good and bad and lazy, even more true is the fact that those bad and lazy also know how to work the system to their advantage.

I can only hope this cop meets a judge who sees the evil standing in front of him and doles out the most allowable punishment he can to this piece of human garbage.
gafinfan is offline   Reply With Quote