Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Big Brother loves your eyes!

Debating with the enemy

Old 08-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Big Brother loves your eyes!

Iris Scanners Create the Most Secure City in the World. Welcome, Big Brother | Fast Company

What do you all think of this? Invasion of privacy or wave of the future?

I think it's a bit optimistic to think that the whole world will be registered for iris imaging in 10 years but it is pretty damn interesting. Drivers licenses and credit cards will be a thing of the past. Law enforcement would be able to monitor paroles and repeat offenders much more efficiently.
I'm kind of torn on this.

Advertisements
Old 08-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Re: Big Brother loves your eyes!

For those that need to be behind bars it seems like a good idea.. making the slope a bit more slippery for much lesser offenses is a whole different story. The beginnings to a police state.. and a lazy one at that.

This is where a lot of other companies have gotten it wrong

"When these residents catch a train or bus, or take out money from an ATM, they will scan their irises, rather than swiping a metro or bank card. "

This is just wrong, it's not going to happen any time soon, and certainly not within 10 years. Cash is still king and people will not be paying metro fares off of some eye-scanning device linked to their bank account, assuming that they have one. This would also likely mean the need for millions of mobile wireless scanners as well. Imagine the data mining that would be available to those collecting the scans as well as vulnerability of those being tracked if the system was compromised.

His intimidating tactics also tell me to proceed with caution:

"And he has a warning for those thinking of opting out: "When you get masses of people opting-in, opting out does not help. Opting out actually puts more of a flag on you than just being part of the system. We believe everyone will opt-in.""

Sounds like a movie where all humans are subjects, part of a robot army.

The more I read about it the less I like it.

Sidenote: I love Fast Company
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
KLHJ2
Inactive

Biometrics is already a major growing part of the Government and IT. I believe that this is where it should stay.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:54 AM   #4
gafinfan
Camp Scrub

As long as we care more about the illusion of security than the reaility of personal freedoms these things will be planted and grow roots. Once implimented by the government one will have to fight tooth and nail to stay off its list and as the guy said once on there is no going back.
gafinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:09 AM   #5
jdlea
Playmaker

Article looked a bit long, so I skimmed it. I will say that most Iris scanners are quite unreliable, so it may be a while before this becomes common practice
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #6
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I am just glad I don't have anything valuable enough to make someone take my eye out to get to it.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
GhettoDogAllStars
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafinfan View Post
As long as we care more about the illusion of security than the reaility of personal freedoms these things will be planted and grow roots. Once implimented by the government one will have to fight tooth and nail to stay off its list and as the guy said once on there is no going back.
Great post.

Reminds me of a Franklin quote:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

...and we must always remember that there is no such thing as absolute security. So, in a sense, we are never secure.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:10 AM   #8
gafinfan
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoDogAllStars View Post
Great post.

Reminds me of a Franklin quote:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

...and we must always remember that there is no such thing as absolute security. So, in a sense, we are never secure.
Thanks, Franklin was a very smart man. So true, its to bad those on the dole don't realize that!
gafinfan is offline   Reply With Quote