Missouri Cops Raid House... Shoots Dogs with Children Present

Debating with the enemy

Old 05-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #76
MTK
\m/

Re: Missouri Cops Raid House... Shoots Dogs with Children Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
Like I said to FD, if that was not your attention, I apologize, but you're taking a very nonchalant approach to the killing of a 7 year old. The "he has to live with it excuse" is pretty horrendous, IMO.

As to your other points, in later posts. Yes, the raid procedure should be re-evaluated, probably eliminated, IMO.

Yes, the guy gave the police a reason to raid his home, however, the raid was poorly executed. IMO, the blame falls on the officers who raided that home, so I can't say there's plenty of blame to go around.
Look, a 7 year old died. That's F'ing horrible. Not denying that at all. The whole thing was a cluster F. My only point is we shouldn't be so quick to pile on the cops especially without knowing all the facts.

For the cop who killed the kid, it's not an excuse, just saying he's gotta live with that. It's F'ing terrible all around.

Advertisements
Old 05-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #77
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
The entire raid procedure needs to be reevaluated from the top down, wouldn't you agree?

And at the heart of it, this guy gave the police a reason to raid his place, no? We're not talking about an innocent civilian.
And if there was a struggle upon the police entering that's a factor as well.

I'm not clear on how the cops are the only ones to blame.
it was a duplex and from what i hear he was arrested in the opposite house but police had a search warrant for the entire unit and thats why they are saying he was arrested in the house.

also i have read and stated before that the neighbor all allegedy told the police there were kids in the house before they entered.

it remains to be seen if the cops are the only ones to blame. if in fact they had no reason for being in that side of the duplex, that means the family of the little girl did absolutly nothing wrong. i'm sure we will find out more details very shortly

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #78
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Yep...."police may have collided with woman"....just go ahead f*cking say it Detriot PD, the woman action did not lead to the shooting of the girl. Sounds like police reaching for excuses...

To comment on the blame, anybody harboring a dangerous fugitive is asking for alot of trouble, and if they knew already of what the person did then they should be ashamed, but the shooting of child just shows the even though accidental the community should be outraged.
Actually, coming out and saying it was a collision not a tussle is starting to acknowledge they were wrong. The main problem I have is with the timing and what would seem to be a lack of awareness as to what innocents might be in the harms way with this strike.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:20 PM   #79
firstdown
Living Legend

Its sad and mistakes happen but where is the rage form the people living in the city with 365 murders in 2008 and tops the nation in murder rate. Oh its "No Snitch" when its a gang member or a common crook but have a cop make a mistake and they suddenly find their rage.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #80
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Actually, coming out and saying it was a collision not a tussle is starting to acknowledge they were wrong. The main problem I have is with the timing and what would seem to be a lack of awareness as to what innocents might be in the harms way with this strike.
like say throwing a flash bang through a window where it hits a sleeping girl i think they really s the bed on this one and actually just read something interesting
Quote:
Detroit Police say the accidental shooting of little girl may have been caught on tape by a crew filming for the Cable TV show, "The First 48."
will be very interesting if thats the case, wonder if that had anything to do with possibly under planning the details of the raid

ST21
Old 05-17-2010, 12:24 PM   #81
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Its sad and mistakes happen but where is the rage form the people living in the city with 365 murders in 2008 and tops the nation in murder rate. Oh its "No Snitch" when its a gang member or a common crook but have a cop make a mistake and they suddenly find their rage.
Don't assume no snitch reflects the value of the communities that are losing the young men to this violence. It reflects the attitude of those that are wrong, but when a tragedy like this happens, if the police don't act fast to acknowledge the bad action, it will be incorporated into the no snitch campaign. Again, the police have to hold themselves to a higher standard.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #82
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
yes! you obvioulsy don't understand the training swat teams go through there is no room for errors, none. and like it's been said before the police are held to a higher standard, much higher.

this is like the md kid getting beat after the duke game if it's a couple drunkards beating each other up it's one thing but when it's cops it's a whole other ball of wax

ST21
Old 05-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #83
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Lawyer questions police version of raid that killed girl - CNN.com

a-oh...so they were filming a reality tv show?...and there is a video of police firing into the home?...oh and the police were at the wrong house too? I hope to god this family sues the f*ck out of the police and city and drains what little money remains out of Detroit. I would love for someone to serve jailtime. if this is true, this is absolutely pathetic

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:33 AM   #84
Miller101
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeskins View Post
idk, if i'm a cop and am about to raid a house with my gun drawn i know my adrenalin(sp) is gonna be pumpin pretty hard. when i bust into that house i'm not sure what i'll find or what i'll have to face. a dog,even if it's small and just nipping at my ankles, could be a hinderance. what if i have to give chase after someone or get into a physical altercation with someone, i don't need a dog of any size bitting me while i'm trying to control a suspect.
i'm not trying to defend the cops but i'm not 100% convinced they did anything wrong.
DUDE! THEY SHOT A CAGED DOG!!!! A CAGED ANIMIAL!!!!!! IF YOU GET BIT BY A CAGED ANIMAL IT IS BECAUSE YOU ARE STUPID! NOT BECAUSE YOU ARE TRYING TO GIVE CHASE!!!!!!

They even shot the dogs in front of kids..................a caged dog in front of kids! And you're not convinced thats wrong!?!??!?! Gimme a break!
"And the Redskins went down there and manhandled them and they basically undressed them and now everybody's been lining up to get a piece of them." - John Riggins on the last game we played in Texas Stadium
Miller101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #85
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
For those interested in studying more about police raids, I highly recommend the writings of Radley Balko of Reason Magazine. In particular, his piece about the case of Cory Maye, who at one point was sentenced to death row for the shooting death of a police officer who was part of a SWAT team raid of his house, which turned out to be the wrong one. It's a long article, but well worth it.

Here's a snippet of the piece, which I think eloquently makes the case about how so much preferential treatment is given to police when they make mistake, but not so much in the case of those whose home is being raided:

Quote:
Criminal charges against police officers who accidentally kill innocent people in these raids are rare. Prosecutors almost always determine that the violent, confrontational nature of the raids and the split-second decisions made while conducting them demand that police be given a great deal of discretion. Yet it’s the policy of using volatile forced-entry raids to serve routine drug warrants that creates those circumstances in the first place.

Worse, prosecutors are much less inclined to take circumstances into account when it comes to pressing charges against civilians who make similar mistakes. When civilians who are innocent or who have no history of violence defend their homes during a mistaken raid, they have about a one in two chance of facing criminal charges if a policeman is killed or injured. When convicted, they’ve received sentences ranging from probation to life in prison to, in Maye’s case, the death penalty.

It’s a remarkable double standard. The reason these raids are often conducted late at night or very early in the morning is to catch suspects while they’re sleeping and least capable of processing what’s going on around them. Raids are often preceded by the deployment of flash-bang grenades, devices designed to confuse everyone in the vicinity. While narcotics officers have (or at least are supposed to have) extensive training in how to act during a raid, suspects don’t, and officers have the advantage of surprise. Yet prosecutors readily forgive mistaken police shootings of innocent civilians and unarmed drug suspects while expecting the people on the receiving end of late-night raids to show exemplary composure, judgment, and control in determining whether the attackers in their homes are cops or criminals.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #86
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
So basically you're saying the death of this kid is collateral damage but oh well? Wow. Okay.

And trust me, the majority of the people who live in the inner city, don't follow that "Stop Snitching" thing, seeing as I live in the inner city and most people here are quick to dial the cops when shit starts going down. If you wanna point fingers, point it at the thug culture that's growing the "Stop Snitching" thing, not the regular people who are just trying to make it from day to day.

But a la an incident in Baltimore awhile back where when a family went to report some drug activity (I believe) to the police, the dealers took the family's dog and killed it and cut it's tongue out and then returned the dead dog on the family's porch, I think many people in the inner city aren't quick to report criminal activity out of fear of retaliation.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote