HDTV Help

Parking Lot

Old 12-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #31
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Re: HDTV Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
Uh, yeah. I don't know what the movie is going to be called, but I know I will own it. May buy it twice, just to have a backup copy.
I was just reading that the other day, but I don't think there is a specific movie yet. She really just said that her next role has to include full frontal because she thinks that's the only way she can be considered a real actress.
I think that's terrible logic, but GREAT news!

Advertisements
Old 12-14-2007, 01:51 PM   #32
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

IDontLikeYouInThatWay.com: Jessica Simpson Will Get Naked, Won't Win Oscar

Great article on Jessica.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:53 PM   #33
hail_2_da_skins
Impact Rookie

1080p vs 720p:Most people can't tell the difference between the two. There is definitely a cost difference, 1080p is much higher. All current high definition broadcasts are at best 720p. To take advantage of 1080p you will need HD DVD or Blue Ray DVD, an additional cost. Playstation 3 has built in Blue Ray DVD and XBox 360 has an add on HD DVD for $200. Also remember that you will need an upconverting DVD player to view your standard DVD movies in high definition. This is a must if you have a library of standard DVD movies. With an upconverting DVD player your standard DVD movies will look just as good as the high definition broadcast from cable or satillite.

Plasma vs LCD:If your HDTV will be placed in a room with a very bright light source (i.e. an outside window), you want to buy a LCD HDTV. The glare on the Plasma HDTV will drive you nuts. This is very important! If your HDTV is in a closed room or the basement with no windows, get a Plasma HDTV. The resolution on the Plasma is slightly better but do not place in a room with a very bright light source. I wouldn't buy a Plasma HDTV if I was going to playing video games. Plasma HDTV can suffer from screen burn in. Most of the newer Plasma's have circuitry that prevents burn in, but it is something to watch out for.

Component connection vs HDMI:Buy a HDTV with as many HDMI connections as you can afford. Two HDMI connections should be the minimum. Always connect your high definition components with HDMI. The high definition video and the Dolby 5.1 sound goes through the HDMI. The other alternative is to use component connection or DVI for your video source and use optical cable for the Dolby 5.1.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:58 PM   #34
hail_2_da_skins
Impact Rookie

Oh. I own an LG 42" LCD HDTV 1080i/720p. It's the best purchase I ever made. The picture quality is unbelievable. I have DirecTV high definition, XBox 360 and a Sony 5 disc upconverting DVD player. All connected with HDMI.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:59 PM   #35
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Does anyone know if Phillips TVs are any good? We can get a discount on them through my company so I've been thinking about buying one once my landlord gets my cable fixed.
My sister has one with the Ambilight feature but I don't know if it's really worth the extra money.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:04 PM   #36
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

CR says they're definitely among the top third of the brands...
Old 12-14-2007, 03:07 PM   #37
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
Does anyone know if Phillips TVs are any good? We can get a discount on them through my company so I've been thinking about buying one once my landlord gets my cable fixed.
My sister has one with the Ambilight feature but I don't know if it's really worth the extra money.
I have three HD TV's: 2 Phillips (LCD & PLASMA FLAT SCREEN) 1 Samsung (DLP REAR PROJECTION)

My favorite is the 32" Phillips LCD but, both of my Phillps are great and both have Ambilight ( hookey but the wife likes it)

Samsung DLP has great picture but has broken already once ( lucky under warrenty). Plus all of my Samsung up convert DVD players have broke too. so IMO Samsung = Crap.
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:17 PM   #38
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
What about for PS3 and systems like that?

I am guessing here but I bet you could not tell the difference between 1080p video game graphics vs. 720p video graphics. Reason I say this is there is not a enough detail in the picture for it to make a differnce, meaning a live action shot has a lot more detail then say a video game graphic.

This is why stores usually show really bright cartoon movies on their display models, it is easy for any TV to make them look good.

A really true test of the quality of any HD TV's quality is in the blacks. If you can see details in the blacks, that is a great TV. Some TVs do a poor job of the blacks, turn them almost a gray color. Next time you watch a HD TV pay attention to someone's black hair, can you see the details in their hair or is it just a fuzz black grey mix?
Old 12-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #39
mheisig
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I am guessing here but I bet you could not tell the difference between 1080p video game graphics vs. 720p video graphics. Reason I say this is there is not a enough detail in the picture for it to make a differnce, meaning a live action shot has a lot more detail then say a video game graphic.

This is why stores usually show really bright cartoon movies on their display models, it is easy for any TV to make them look good.

A really true test of the quality of any HD TV's quality is in the blacks. If you can see details in the blacks, that is a great TV. Some TVs do a poor job of the blacks, turn them almost a gray color. Next time you watch a HD TV pay attention to someone's black hair, can you see the details in their hair or is it just a fuzz black grey mix?
Can someone explain the ambilight to me? I guess I just don't get why you'd want that.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:12 PM   #40
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig View Post
Can someone explain the ambilight to me? I guess I just don't get why you'd want that.
Basically it takes what every is the prime color in the screen at the time and it displays behind the screen using color lights on the side.

I think it makes a good night light when you have all the lights off and you need to get up and piss. On a serious note it is kind of cool when something blows up on the screen because it lights up the whole room.

In reailty Phillips marketing/development said we need to think of something that sets us a part from the rest of the herd, thus the birth of ambilight.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:13 PM   #41
onlydarksets
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig View Post
Along with this, if you're buying a display under 50" and sitting at a normal viewing distance you won't ever be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 720p even if the 1080p display has a 1080p source.

I saw the math somewhere online but I can't find the link, but basically the 20/20 human eye can't distinguish a detail difference on a sub-50" display at 1080p unless you basically sit like 3 feet away from it.

In other words, if you're buying under 50" save yourself some dough and get a 720p. Over 50" you probably want to get 1080p so you'll be all set for 1080p sources in the future.

EDIT: I DID find some of the links, check these out:

1080p vs 720p - Is it worth it?

How Big a TV Do You Need?

Resolution Chart

According to the middle link and it's related chart (last link), you don't even start to really see a noticeable difference in 1080p vs 720p until you hit a screen of about 80+ inches.

If you're buying an 80" display, please invite me over.
My mom and stepdad just got a 108" Sony 1080p projector in their basement. It's ridiculous.

I have a 47" 1080p. I haven't run a 1080p source through it, but I doubt I would be able to tell the difference. I bought it for the size - it was the only LCD set at the time that was bigger than 42" and in my budget.