Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

The foreign affairs thread

Debating with the enemy

Old 01-27-2022, 12:43 PM   #16
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: The foreign affairs thread

I don’t know about knee jerk military movements right now by us, maybe months ago, but not now. I think the problem continues to be Europe, mainly Germany and their commitment. Biggest economy, biggest buyer of energy from Russia. That’s who we need to continue to pressure to see this crisis through.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-27-2022, 01:06 PM   #17
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I don’t know about knee jerk military movements right now by us, maybe months ago, but not now. I think the problem continues to be Europe, mainly Germany and their commitment. Biggest economy, biggest buyer of energy from Russia. That’s who we need to continue to pressure to see this crisis through.
Leave it to Germany to send a carrier group into the Aegean, first and foremost, it won't get done because Germany doesn't have any aircraft carriers, lol. Sending ground forces doesn't threaten anything without air superiority.

Further, choosing now to bicker between NATO allies rather than projecting a united front towards Putin would only embolden him, not the other way around. A strategic genius you are not, good God.

There needs to be a genuine and credible threat to Putin that we NATO will defend whoever the fuck we want whenever the fuck we want. Otherwise he's going to roll in there and annex the portion east of the western edge of the Black Sea to enhance his access to warm water ports.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:43 PM   #18
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Leave it to Germany to send a carrier group into the Aegean, first and foremost, it won't get done because Germany doesn't have any aircraft carriers, lol. Sending ground forces doesn't threaten anything without air superiority.

Further, choosing now to bicker between NATO allies rather than projecting a united front towards Putin would only embolden him, not the other way around. A strategic genius you are not, good God.

There needs to be a genuine and credible threat to Putin that we NATO will defend whoever the fuck we want whenever the fuck we want. Otherwise he's going to roll in there and annex the portion east of the western edge of the Black Sea to enhance his access to warm water ports.
Yeah didnt suggest Germany send in a carrier group or any of that, but continue to work with Germany to take a stronger position and commitment. I think right now talks are with France and maybe England with Russia currently.

I happened to pull up a map with Russian troop positions in Belarus; that poses quite the problem for Ukraine. Not only is the border with Russia a front, but most of the north. Belarus says Russian troops gonna leave in a couple months after their “training”. I dont know what could be done, but expelling those troops from Belarus…if any nato allies would have influence, that seems top of mind. Probably wishful thinking

He Gets Us
Old 01-27-2022, 03:32 PM   #19
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I'm not sure it is all that of a knee jerk movement.

Russia doesn't want a military war with us. They are most effective when dealing with cyberattacks and espionage. If this escalated to a conflict I think Putin would lose more than he would want. I am also just speculating here but as China and Russia have become more comfortable allies I don't see him upstaging the Beijing Olympics. Have Xi mad at him is not the route he wants either.

Note: I don't want American troops to be there. I hate sending young Americans to die for ideology of old men but that is the nature of conflict. Old men too stubborn to compromise.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:30 AM   #20
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
I'm not sure it is all that of a knee jerk movement.

Russia doesn't want a military war with us. They are most effective when dealing with cyberattacks and espionage. If this escalated to a conflict I think Putin would lose more than he would want. I am also just speculating here but as China and Russia have become more comfortable allies I don't see him upstaging the Beijing Olympics. Have Xi mad at him is not the route he wants either.

Note: I don't want American troops to be there. I hate sending young Americans to die for ideology of old men but that is the nature of conflict. Old men too stubborn to compromise.
I dunno, seems like maybe that shoulda been done months ago. This ramp up of the massing troops been going on a year.

I don’t think anybody wants US troops engaged in combat.

Biden should have kept sanctions on the norad pipeline, coulda been great leverage

He Gets Us
Old 01-28-2022, 09:26 AM   #21
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
I dunno, seems like maybe that shoulda been done months ago. This ramp up of the massing troops been going on a year.

I don’t think anybody wants US troops engaged in combat.

Biden should have kept sanctions on the norad pipeline, coulda been great leverage
You mean the Nord Stream 2 pipeline from Russia into Germany? That can still be shut down if NATO wants to.

And if it happened it would be a boon for our economy - Biden has said we'll ship natural gas into Germany.

Still Germany would feel the economic pinch if that pipeline were shut down.