Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Was Friends a great sitcom?

Parking Lot

Old 05-08-2004, 09:07 AM   #1
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Was Friends a great sitcom?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/040507

I agree with him about his thoughts of the TV show "Friends". As for the "OC" I really can not say, I never watched it.
Redskins8588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-08-2004, 11:46 AM   #2
Cush
Impact Rookie

I can honestly say that I never watched a single episode of "Friends", same with "The OC"
Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 12:34 PM   #3
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I've never watched, nor wanted to watch, "The OC" and I'd watch "Friends" every now and then, but as for this guy's argument that it's not great because really only women watch it on a regular basis I'm not sure that argument flies. Only a handful, if that, of my female friends watch "The Simpsons" on a regular basis and who's going to say that it isn't one of the greatest shows ever?
Old 05-08-2004, 12:54 PM   #4
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

i don't know where this guy gets the idea that friends was only watched by women cuz i know and knew of quite a few guys who watched the show including myself. it's humor seemed aimed at people my age as well as the whole process of getting out on your own and having a regular group of friends to hang out with was something i really started to connect with as i got a bit older. its humor ranged from intelligent, dry humor to raunchy cool guy jokes. plus getting to see jennifer aniston, courtney cox and lisa kudrow(sometimes double lisa kudrow), was an influence since i started watching the show when i was 13. i honestly don't get how all these "critics" can trash the show especially when the majority of them admit to never watching it. i mean just because i only saw a few episodes of seinfield and they weren't that funny to me, i'm not gonna say the show sucked cuz i didn't see enough of it to get a good reading on it. only so much i can stand about people complaining about every single thing though. IMO friends is definitely up there in the top 5-10 sitcoms with mash, cheers and simpsons.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 12:56 PM   #5
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smootsmack
I've never watched, nor wanted to watch, "The OC" and I'd watch "Friends" every now and then, but as for this guy's argument that it's not great because really only women watch it on a regular basis I'm not sure that argument flies. Only a handful, if that, of my female friends watch "The Simpsons" on a regular basis and who's going to say that it isn't one of the greatest shows ever?
yeah, the oc just seemed like an even more oversexed, rich snob show than 90210. plus it would be kinda disturbing watching a show primarily about teenagers getting drunk and hooking up.
Old 05-08-2004, 03:52 PM   #6
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I watched Friends every single week since I got into the show about four years ago. Its far and away the best *citcom* of my lifetime, with the exeption of maybe Seinfeld. I really liked the show.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 04:30 PM   #7
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I could never really get into Friends. Not because it was necessarily bad, it just wasn't good enough to keep me coming back. Seemed a bit mushy for me, that's just my opinion on it. Everyone likes different things.

How many of us were watching CSI when the last episode was on?
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 05:27 PM   #8
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
I could never really get into Friends. Not because it was necessarily bad, it just wasn't good enough to keep me coming back. Seemed a bit mushy for me, that's just my opinion on it. Everyone likes different things.

How many of us were watching CSI when the last episode was on?
i recorded csi, lol. i saw the preview of the coaster crash and was like, holy crap. it was a tough choice of which one to record but i've been watching friends for 10 years so i had to see it end.

on a side note, with a 3rd csi show starting in the fall(csi new york), are any other fans of the show worried they are going a bit into overkill and r gonna run out of good episodes?

Last edited by skinsfanthru&thru; 05-08-2004 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:02 PM   #9
daddio3
Camp Scrub

I would rather nail my hand to a table than watch Friends. However, my wife watches it religiously and I have noted one thing: if these were my friends I would surley have thrown my self into a furnace some time ago. They are the MOST annoying people I can imagine ( and I have a "friend" who can belch the preamble to the constitution).
daddio3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 10:26 PM   #10
MTK
\m/

I wasn't a big fan of Friends, but I can't deny it was a very popular show and had a hell of a run for the past 10 years. It will go down as one of the most popular sitcoms ever.
MTK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 07:23 PM   #11
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru
i recorded csi, lol. i saw the preview of the coaster crash and was like, holy crap. it was a tough choice of which one to record but i've been watching friends for 10 years so i had to see it end.

on a side note, with a 3rd csi show starting in the fall(csi new york), are any other fans of the show worried they are going a bit into overkill and r gonna run out of good episodes?
skinsfanthru&thru, I can't say for csi, but I like to watch law & order. I like all three, law & order, l&o: criminal intent, and l&o: Special Victums Unit. So I think that you should not have to worry about overkill.
Redskins8588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 07:57 PM   #12
EEich
The Starter

Cheers is my all time #1. Friends was a distant #2.
EEich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 12:01 PM   #13
jsarno
Franchise Player

LOVED friends. My wife and I started watching it back when it came out when we were dating. We have (no kidding) never missed an episode. It was our little thing to sit down on thursdays and not answer the phone or anything, just watch TV when firends was on. Like Skinsfanthru&thru pointed to, I grew up with them. Both me and my wife are 30, and we totally related to them and their struggles at times. They were the sitcom for our generation. Even when we didn't relate, it was fun watching them age and grow.
That guy doesn't know what he's talking about on ESPN. I knew more guys that watched it than girls. The OC on the other hand is a stupid bitch fest about issues that only teenagers care about. Hmmmm, sounds like a girly show to me, but I'm sure guys watch that too. The cast of Friends got more money per episode than any other sitcom, and they were loved across the nation. That's what makes you a great sitcom...they are truely a top 3 all time sitcom.

ps- Frasier is another great sitcom going off the air. Kelsey Grammer has been Dr. Frasier Crane for 22 years...that in itself is out freakin standing. Two all time great shows are going off the air in back to back weeks. It's a sad time for television.