The Law - Oddities and Facts

Debating with the enemy

Old 04-15-2014, 04:07 AM   #46
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Re: The Law - Oddities and Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Most people coming in reading the replies of Giantone.

What posters need to know when working with NC skins .

Find Jobs: Search millions of jobs now | Comcast Job Search

Handle a Sabotaging Coworker

Advertisements
Old 04-15-2014, 06:53 AM   #47
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
How Lending A Friend Your Car, Then Going to Bed Can Land You a Life Prison Sentence | Alternet

The author's best point is that the parents who were selling the drugs out of their house should be held responsible at some point also.

And again, likely none of this happens if marijuana was not illegal.

Bottomline for me, the US system is outta whack, but I don't see much of a chance to get it back on track.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/04/us...ewanted=2&_r=0

Quote:
Mr. Holle had no criminal record. He had lent his car to Mr. Allen, a housemate, countless times before.

“All he did was go say, ‘Use the car,’ ” Mr. Allen said of Mr. Holle in a pretrial deposition. “I mean, nobody really knew that girl was going to get killed. It was not in the plans to go kill somebody, you know.”

But Mr. Holle did testify that he had been told it might be necessary to “knock out” Jessica Snyder. Mr. Holle is 25 now, a tall, lean and lively man with a rueful sense of humor, alert brown eyes and an unusually deep voice. In a spare office at the prison here, he said that he had not taken the talk of a burglary seriously.

I honestly thought they were going to get food,” he said of the men who used his car, all of whom had attended the nightlong party at Mr. Holle’s house, as had Jessica Snyder.
So, he's at a party with his friends and the murder victim. She likely says something along the lines of 'Mom has safe filled with pot." She leaves, friends say "Hey, let's grab the pot and get some munchies. We probably have to knock out the victim so she doesn't recognize us. Damn, we need a car, can we borrow yours dude?". Guy in jail says "Sure, just bring me back some Doritios." Friends stop to steal the pot and bash victim's head in.

So, did he just think they were joking? or not? Another one of those "hard to judge because I wasn't there and didn't see him, weigh his credibility against others, etc. etc. If he really knew they were plotting to steal the pot and it would be likely result in an assault, well, bad on him. If not, then it shouldn't be a felony murder.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:41 PM   #48
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
... “I did so because he was not as culpable as the others,” said Mr. Rimmer, the prosecutor.

Mr. Holle, who rejected the deal, has spent some time thinking about the felony murder rule.

“The laws that they use to convict people are just — they have to revise them,” he said. “Just because I lent these guys my car, why should I be convicted the same as these people that actually went to the scene of the crime and actually committed the crime?”

Mr. Rimmer sounded ambivalent on this point.

“Whether or not the felony murder rule can result in disproportionate justice is a matter of opinion,” Mr. Rimmer said. “The father of Jessica Snyder does not think so.”
I know I am probably wrong, but the prosecutor using the bereaved father's judgement as a valid opinion is highly inappropriate to me. If it's my daughter that is killed they all ought to be hung, but the justice system is supposed to look at justice through (basically) unbiased eyes. (Seeing as how it was the parents' stash they were after), maybe the father might look a little at himself and his wife.(pretty hard to do I am sure)
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #49
over the mountain
Playmaker

Victims and family get to speak at sentencing.

But the comment by the DA highlighted above seems like he was responding to a reporter and seemed fair and accurate to me.

"People have varying opinions on the felony murder law. The perpetrator doesn't like it, the father of the deceased does." I dont see anything inherently wrong or alarming in that .

I dont think the DA was saying the victim's father made the decision or had final say .... but the ADA in montgomery county gives a lot of weight and deference to the wishes of the victim's families. Ive been in chamber sessions w the DA, defense lawyer and judge on murder/manslaughter/rape cases and the victim's family plays a very large role in what the DA decides to do. (I was a law clerk so i was the proverbial 'fly on the wall', dont talk just listen and learn)
Old 04-15-2014, 08:35 PM   #50
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
What posters need to know when working with NC skins .

Find Jobs: Search millions of jobs now | Comcast Job Search

Handle a Sabotaging Coworker

I assure you, their failure is 100% on them. I'm not the one sleeping on the job, falsifying timesheets, drinking at work, or using state resources for private use.

Why do you always defend the criminal and blame the victim? That's exactly what you do.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:47 PM   #51
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
... Ive been in chamber sessions w the DA, defense lawyer and judge on murder/manslaughter/rape cases and the victim's family plays a very large role in what the DA decides to do. (I was a law clerk so i was the proverbial 'fly on the wall', dont talk just listen and learn)
Got any photos? Preferably with the judge sleeping and holding a photo shopped beer.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #52
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Got any photos? Preferably with the judge sleeping and holding a photo shopped beer.

Knowing our judicial system, my guess is you could get a photo of much much worse. (hookers/cocaine/bribes/etc..)
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 04-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #53
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Another one. Interested to hear everyone's thoughts about it:

Armed robber was never told to report to prison

Missouri Says It's Not 'Cruel and Unusual' to Jail Man 13 Years After Forgetting to Do So - US News

1) they had to send a SWAT team? - no need to rehash the militarization of the police part, but at least per the articles, the guy had been pulled over for speeding, he wasn't hiding, he wasn't using an alias, the state just messed up.

2) the kids are true victims of the state here, the older ones especially will never forget the swat team taking their dad.

3) hard to say what ought to happen, but seems like the governor could/should commute the sentence.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:35 PM   #54
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Freedom of Religion at Work: Satanist Statue Getting Ready to be Placed at Oklahoma's Statehouse

Quote:
Take for instance when a monument depicting the Ten Commandments was erected in front of Oklahoma’s Statehouse. Though our Constitution sets up a separation of church and state, they managed to use a “donation loophole” to justify a religious symbol being placed at a government facility.

They’re just so clever, aren’t they?

Well, in a true example of “two can play that game,” the Satanic Temple went ahead and raised some money of their own to build a statue worshipping Satan that they plan to display on the very same Oklahoma Statehouse.

I'll see your religious loophole and I'll raise you.

Groups should really stop and think before they try and use loopholes in the system.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:22 AM   #55
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Old 06-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #56
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

^^ What does that even mean? Why is it even posted here?
Old 06-09-2014, 07:31 AM   #57
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
^^ What does that even mean? Why is it even posted here?
I apologize to you for posting that in the wrong area ,I did not mean to upset you ,antagonize or criticize you in any way shape or form .Please accept my most humble apologies .
Old 06-09-2014, 07:42 AM   #58
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Just for fun....

Strange and Funny: 53 Crazy Laws

....,oh those crazy South Carolinians

#41 .There is a law in South Carolina that allows a husband to beat his wife on the courthouse steps on a Sunday.b