NFL draft prospect Michael Sam comes out

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #46
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: NFL draft prospect Michael Sam comes out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
Just to play devils advocate, you say he got most of his sacks against lesser competition, I say it is still the SEC, and those teams give out scholarships too. At the end of the year the award for best defensive player in the SEC doesn't go to the guy who was ok, it goes to the best player in the SEC. And as recent history shows us the player to win SEC defensive player of the year is usually a very good talent. Here is a list of the most recent and where they were drafted.
Michael Sam ?
J Jones 17th overall
M Claiborne 6th overall
P Peterson 5th overall
R McClain 8th overall
E Berry 5th overall
G Dorsey 5th overall

And then there's the list of single season sack leaders from Mizzou
1. Michael Sam 11.5, ?
1. Aldon Smith 11.5, 7th overall pick
2. Justin Smith 11, 4th overall pick

As an outsider with no real football knowledge you would think the player to win SEC defensive player of the year stands a very good chance of being drafted in the top 10, let alone the 1st round. It leads me to wonder if maybe his draft stock was already going down because there were rumors of his sexuality being in question. And rather than have any rumors out there he just took it head on instead of beating around the bush.

It's just weird for me to hear the pedigree of the SEC D player of the year and then to hear some one say this kid could fall to the 5th or 6th round, makes no sense to me.
Cursory reviews of college statistics don't apply. Only an assessment of his skills and how they may translate to the NFL can tell how he might play. Don't take my word for it, here's a scouting report. But basically, he's a tweener (6'2" 260 lbs) without the top-flight speed and burst.

Michael Sam: The Scouting Report | Audibles - SI.com

Pros: Comes off the snap with speed and burst to the outside, and can beat blocks on inside stunts. Gets a good ride on a blocker’s inside shoulder and can push people back when he gets a full head of steam. Has decent redirect and recognition ability — will turn to run and tackle with effort even after he’s beaten, though he doesn’t always hit the mark. Has enough foot agility to deal with cut blocks. Will work through gaps more like a running back than a defensive end — has good patience in waiting for things to open up at the line. Gets his sacks more through effort than technique, though the effort is clear and consistent.

Cons: Sam needs to be given free space to really do his thing. He’s not an overwhelmingly powerful bull-rusher, nor does he yet possess the array of hand moves and foot fakes that would allow him to elude blockers one-on-one. As a result, he tends to get overwhelmed in the wash of blockers too often. Needs more functional upper-body strength — tends to lose leverage battles even when he establishes lower pad level. This liability becomes even more pronounced when he slips inside in front adjustments and has to deal with a guard and maybe a center on double-teams — he can’t consistently work through power to make plays. Sam also finds it hard to get a second effective strike on a blocker after he’s been stood up on initial impact.
Open-field speed could be an issue at the next level; Sam tends to glide more than he accelerates. Doesn’t have the kind of inside counter (think Dwight Freeney) that would allow him to exert pressure after he’s been pushed out of the pocket. Lacks “get-up” speed in short spaces and plays will move right by him before he can get there. Hasn’t dropped into coverage a lot, though physical limitations make one wonder if he’ll be able to do that at an elite level.

Conclusion: Given the nature of Michael Sam’s story, he’ll be an important NFL individual if he makes it through an NFL training camp. Unfortunately, the nature of his play will leave a lot of teams wondering if he’s worth the trouble. That would be true if he was a first-round prospect, but for a guy whose tape shows early third-day talent, things are far more complex. Taking the narrative aside, I think Sam could be a reasonably effective player in a 4-3 defensive line rotation, or a run-side endbacker in a 3-4, if he improves his technique and finds a way to use more pure power on the field. The speed probably is what it is, and that’s a problem — because edge-rushers need more than the burst he currently has, and tweeners who move inside require far more ability to move people than he’s shown.
Michael Sam has shown a great deal of courage and self-knowledge in doing what he’s done. There’s no doubt about that. But his NFL future is far murkier, and that has nothing to do with anything but the ultimate equalizer — pure talent.

Advertisements
Old 02-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #47
Schneed10
A Dude

You don't need top flight speed and burst to dominate the OTs that play for Vanderbilt, Arkansas State, and Florida (this year). But you would need it if you want to be a 10+ sack player in the NFL.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #48
Schneed10
A Dude

Think about it. Orakpo is about a 10-sack guy, right? When you see Sam's tape and you see Orakpo's tape from Texas, don't you see a huge difference in their burst off the line? You don't need to be a scout with gametape, just look at YouTube highlights. It smacks you in the face, it's that obvious.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #49
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Think about it. Orakpo is about a 10-sack guy, right? When you see Sam's tape and you see Orakpo's tape from Texas, don't you see a huge difference in their burst off the line? You don't need to be a scout with gametape, just look at YouTube highlights. It smacks you in the face, it's that obvious.
To be fair though when Elvis Dummerville was coming into the league he had a lot of the same hangups as Sam......in regards to his actual play not the whole.....you know the thing with the thing and the other thing..........well the the the

"The what"

well the thing and then the other thing

"What thing"

The thing with the thing thing and the thing.

"you lost me"

.....I swear I'm not a homophobe.

In all seriousness I found myself a little worried when I saw a Fletcher quote in an article where Vilma's recent response was broken down. Before reading it I'm thinking in my head "please don't say something stupid please don't say something stupid please don't say something stupid." (Yes, in run on sentences). Luckily it was a simple neutral response that stated the obvious.

Quote:
"There's such a stigma with gay and homosexuals within male sports," London Fletcher, Washington Redskins linebacker, said during the session with Kremer. "It would be very difficult for that first person to come out."
I know I shouldn't care what Fletcher says, that they're just athletes but with all the heat surrounding the name I guess I didn't want any more unnecessary attention. Of course had Fletcher said something in the same vein as Vilma I would have wanted to see him referred to as Former St. Louis Ram and Buffalo Bill linebacker London Fletcher.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #50
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Father of Michael Sam struggling with news son is gay - ESPN

Heard this last night, seems like a great father. The real clue to this article is near the end when it states when Mike returns to his hometown he choses to stay with friends and not family.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #51
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #52
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Once again, Stewart knocks it out the park.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #53
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Stewart nailed it, he makes an excellent point.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #54
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Why is Michael Sam on the picture with the DUI Manslaughter.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #55
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:29 PM   #56
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

I don't know why the 50 or so (Law of averages) current gay players in the NFL aren't standing up and joining Michael Sam. That would get the players and fans to make this the non issue it should be real quick.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:55 PM   #57
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
I don't know why the 50 or so (Law of averages) current gay players in the NFL aren't standing up and joining Michael Sam. That would get the players and fans to make this the non issue it should be real quick.
As I was watching the Jerry Smith 'A Football Life' again last night I was thinking something similar. Wouldn't it be great if even just a handful of guys from several teams all came out together?

I guess that might be asking for too much.

I'm sure there are those that simply don't want to come out, to their teams or to the public. That's certainly understandable.

Hopefully the situation with Sam goes smoothly so maybe more players will feel ok about coming out, if they want to of course.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:02 PM   #58
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
Kerry Rhodes, I'm looking at you.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #59
calia
Playmaker

Honestly, the way Sam is handling this enhances my view of him as a draft prospect. It takes real courage and character to do this before the draft knowing, as he does and as some of the reactions have confirmed, that there would be some negative reaction. Character counts in my book. I think the guy can play, and I would be happy of the Redskins drafted him (without reaching too high for him of course).
Old 02-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #60
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
Kerry Rhodes, I'm looking at you.
I'm calling on Manti Teo to join in.

That John Stewart clip is 100% accurate if you add that Teo mess and factor in that Rhodes has been out of the league for a while now.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote