Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

"You'll never win a Superbowl with a dual threat QB"

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #1
Shadowbyte
Special Teams

"You'll never win a Superbowl with a dual threat QB"

Finally, this will put to rest the notion that teams can't win the big one with a dual threat QB. In the NFC 3 of the final 4 playoff teams had dual threat QB's. The Superbowl winning QB outperformed arguably the greatest passer of "all time" and seemed to make clutch throw after clutch throw during crucial moments of any given drive. Wilsons performance reminded me of RG3's rookie year. While he didn't torch defenses with 400 yard passing games, he consistently made big plays, and made the crucial clutch throws when they were needed most. I think we'll be fine at QB. Using the excuse that RG isn't a true pocket passer and hinders our progression is no longer valid.
Shadowbyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Re: "You'll never win a Superbowl with a dual threat QB"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowbyte View Post
Finally, this will put to rest the notion that teams can't win the big one with a dual threat QB. In the NFC 3 of the final 4 playoff teams had dual threat QB's. The Superbowl winning QB outperformed arguably the greatest passer of "all time" and seemed to make clutch throw after clutch throw during crucial moments of any given drive. Wilsons performance reminded me of RG3's rookie year. While he didn't torch defenses with 400 yard passing games, he consistently made big plays, and made the crucial clutch throws when they were needed most. I think we'll be fine at QB. Using the excuse that RG isn't a true pocket passer and hinders our progression is no longer valid.

Don't recall that being said but don't over look the fact that the Broncos Offense scored more points than any team in NFL history, so I guess there is a positive to both types .
Old 02-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
irish
Playmaker

I think the Seattle defense is a huge factor in the success of the team and how much of a load their triple threat QB needs to carry.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #4
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Who said that you can't win championships with a duel threat QB? That seems rather short-sighted, I would think the more weapons a QB has the better. If he can make space with his legs, run for 1st downs and be an accurate QB, that's perfect.

Sometimes QBs, can excel at being pocket guys, sometimes guys can excel at being scramblers. It's really how you build around your QB's tendencies. Wilson has a beast a RB, solid speedy WRs and what seems to be a solid line that can give him a chance to throw or at least roll out of the pocket.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Where did that come from? I guess who ever said it is not old enough to remember 1994?
I would consider Steve Young a dual threat QB, he averaged almost 6 yards a carry and was running over 50 times a season even into his late 30's.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
Where did that come from? I guess who ever said it is not old enough to remember 1994?
I would consider Steve Young a dual threat QB, he averaged almost 6 yards a carry and was running over 50 times a season even into his late 30's.
Agree. Aarron Rodgers ran a decent amount in 2010 too.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #7
redskins5044
Playmaker

You are going to need dual threat or great D to beat a team like Seattle. The NFC West is going to tough next year even more, with the elite Cardinals D also.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #8
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Agree. Aarron Rodgers ran a decent amount in 2010 too.

Roger Staubach, John Elway....Fran Tarkenton came pretty damn close. Its a ridiculous statement to make because its a team sport. Only way a dual threat qb cant win a superbowl is if he has a shitty defense or a lack of weapons, etc.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #9
Gary84Clark

It just proves you need some type of mobility at QB. Standing there like a statue figuring out math formulas, not gonna get it. Defensive ends and linebackers are too fast for that. Welcome to the new era.
Gary84Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:37 PM   #10
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Roger Staubach, John Elway....Fran Tarkenton came pretty damn close. Its a ridiculous statement to make because its a team sport. Only way a dual threat qb cant win a superbowl is if he has a shitty defense or a lack of weapons, etc.
If running in circles and East and West counted Tarkenton would have gained 3,000 yards rushing a season, I never saw someone scramble around as much as him and I have been watching football for 45 years.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #11
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
If running in circles and East and West counted Tarkenton would have gained 3,000 yards rushing a season, I never saw someone scramble around as much as him and I have been watching football for 45 years.

Thats what i always thought about Barry Sanders running behind that shit o-line. If u count his yards behind the line of scrimmage he massacred emmit smiths record. Lol.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #12
budw38
Playmaker

Staubach , Theisman , Elway , Young , Rogers , and now Wilson . Teams win because they can control the line of scrimmage , run when needed , convert 3rd downs and play outstanding defense .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:54 PM   #13
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by budw38 View Post
Staubach , Theisman , Elway , Young , Rogers , and now Wilson . Teams win because they can control the line of scrimmage , run when needed , convert 3rd downs and play outstanding defense .

Exactly - they win because they are balanced. Its not ONLY about the qb.