Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Jay Gruden hired as head coach of the Redskins

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Do you approve of the hiring of Jay Gruden?
Yes 83 73.45%
No 4 3.54%
I'm still not sure 26 23.01%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #751
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Re: Jay Gruden hired as head coach of the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Way to much for my liking. I'd let him walk at that price. I think we should re-sign him, but there is a point where he's not worth the contract. 12mil/year is beyond that point.
To put it in perspective, 10 mil/year is 8% of a 128 million salary cap. 12 mil/year is 9%.

Also, Matthews' extension with Green Bay was for 6/69.

Basically, if 5/60 is too rich for your blood, you don't want Orakpo back. The difference between market value and slightly below market value isn't allowing you to add extra players.

Advertisements
Old 01-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #752
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Way to much for my liking. I'd let him walk at that price. I think we should re-sign him, but there is a point where he's not worth the contract. 12mil/year is beyond that point.
Given the high amount of cap space we're going to have, how would you propose using that space to make the team better than it would be in giving Orakpo 5/60M?
Old 01-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #753
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Letting Orakpo walk would be stupid. While he's not a Hall of Fame pass rusher, he dictates blocking schemes, commands extra attention and can be disruptive in the passing game. 5 yrs, $60 mil sounds about right. Maybe slightly less but if you think it's going to be 5/$50 then you're setting yourself up to be sorely disappointed.

There are way too many fans around here that think there's an elite player tree that is about to just start blooming pass rushers in March and we would have one for the choosing.

Rak is one of the 3-5 players on our roster that could walk right into a championship level roster and be an immediate starter. We need more of those types of players, not less of them. Pay the man.

BTW how did the Jay Gruden thread become the all encompassing 'discuss all things offseason' thread?

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Old 01-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #754
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
BTW how did the Jay Gruden thread become the all encompassing 'discuss all things offseason' thread?
Fitting, no?
Old 01-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #755
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
...One more thing. Laying the 3-13 record at Orakpo's feet is pretty crazy. Pass rushers and the secondary go hand in hand, they make each other look better. Without a secondary the QB gets the ball out too fast for a pass rusher to make a huge impact. And without a pass rusher a good secondary can't cover any WR for 5 seconds. He had 10 sacks despite QBs being able to shred the secondary pretty consistently. The 3-13 record is not on him at all, it's a team sport and you need everyone pulling their weight. A weak link in the chain means the whole thing breaks. But that doesn't mean you point the finger at the one link that held up.
Thanks Schneed,

I don't believe that we need to get rid of Orakpo. I am disappointed in his performance on the last few years. I also feel that we have many holes on this team and because we will not obtain first round talent in the draft this year, the Redskins have to make this money stretch. We will have to take some risk to get results. The defense, offense and special teams all deserve the record we got in 2013.

I'm not going to cry about Haslett still being here, it is what it is. If he can't prove his worth in 2014 fire him. They should not extend his contract right now.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #756
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Letting Orakpo walk would be stupid. While he's not a Hall of Fame pass rusher, he dictates blocking schemes, commands extra attention and can be disruptive in the passing game. 5 yrs, $60 mil sounds about right. Maybe slightly less but if you think it's going to be 5/$50 then you're setting yourself up to be sorely disappointed.

There are way too many fans around here that think there's an elite player tree that is about to just start blooming pass rushers in March and we would have one for the choosing.

Rak is one of the 3-5 players on our roster that could walk right into a championship level roster and be an immediate starter. We need more of those types of players, not less of them. Pay the man.

Excellent argument.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Closed Thread