2013 PFF Offensive Line Rankings

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #31
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Re: 2013 PFF Offensive Line Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I think he might fit better on the inside stuff too.
I always thought Alfmo was a better inside runner anyway. Let Helu (or another small speedy back) take those outside toss plays. Alfmo is a bruiser he needs to keep the majority of his plays north-south.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #32
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Alfmo is just a good runner. Is he going to sprint away from people on a toss play? Nope.

But he is going to get bunches of yards on a well blocked play, inside or outside, because of his vision and power. For the same reason, he gets yards - inside or outside - that no other back on the team gets when the blocking breaks down. In addition, he is much better about setting up would-be tacklers for his blockers than anyone else on the team. Helu sometimes has vision problems getting what exists. I am not saying Helu is a bad and he has improved from year 1 to now. From the beginning, however, Alfmo has had as good or better vision than Helu has now. (To be clear, I LIKE Helu as the complimentary back - he does have the extra gear Alfmo doesn't).

Let Alfmo exploit the field ... he can run inside or outside for substantial yards. His vision and cut-back ability make him a threat for "chunk" runs everytime he goes outside (Dallas, December, 2012 anyone?). If he is reduced to a predictable inside runner, it is an unnecessary limitation that would make him less effective overall.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #33
That Guy
Living Legend

helu's replaceable. he's fine, but you can find another guy like him pretty easily. alfmo, on the other hand...
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:26 PM   #34
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Alfmo is just a good runner. Is he going to sprint away from people on a toss play? Nope.

But he is going to get bunches of yards on a well blocked play, inside or outside, because of his vision and power. For the same reason, he gets yards - inside or outside - that no other back on the team gets when the blocking breaks down. In addition, he is much better about setting up would-be tacklers for his blockers than anyone else on the team. Helu sometimes has vision problems getting what exists. I am not saying Helu is a bad and he has improved from year 1 to now. From the beginning, however, Alfmo has had as good or better vision than Helu has now. (To be clear, I LIKE Helu as the complimentary back - he does have the extra gear Alfmo doesn't).

Let Alfmo exploit the field ... he can run inside or outside for substantial yards. His vision and cut-back ability make him a threat for "chunk" runs everytime he goes outside (Dallas, December, 2012 anyone?). If he is reduced to a predictable inside runner, it is an unnecessary limitation that would make him less effective overall.
Just don't give Alfmo the ball at the goal line. Well at least not if JR has him on his fantasy team!
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:24 PM   #35
FRPLG
MVP

We'll I didn't mean as a straight inside banger. I meant that his lack of elite speed might be mitigated more on inside zone plays where getting outside quickly to make a cut back isn't necessary. Alfs obviously a top tier type back in any type of system where he gets presented with cut backs that he can exploit with his vision and ability to cut and go.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:45 AM   #36
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
helu's replaceable. he's fine, but you can find another guy like him pretty easily. alfmo, on the other hand...
I'd just like to see Helu break an arm tackle. He can shift and make people miss, but the second someone has a hand on him, he goes down like a ton of bricks.