Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

NFC East: A two team race now?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-26-2004, 09:48 AM   #16
BrudLee
Playmaker

The Cowboys - The only major acquisition was Keyshawn. Standing pat with overachievers is no way to rise in an increasingly competitive division. Stock: Dropping.

The Giants - New system, rookie QB as likely starter, aging defense, fumble-prone RB. Stock: Dropping.

The Eagles - Positives: Two major FA acquisitions. Negatives: Secondary demolished, running game has durability questions. Stock: Steady.\

The Redskins - Still need a D-line, but skill positions have been either a) improved, or b) made deeper. Best acquisition of the (year, decade, etc.) Joe Gibbs. Stock: Rising

Advertisements
Old 04-26-2004, 10:22 AM   #17
Carnage
Special Teams

None of the NFC east teams did anything that frightens me this weekend.
Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:35 AM   #18
Defensewins
Playmaker

I hate the Cowboys, but you guys are overlooking them again. Just with another year of Parcells coaching they are going to be better. Quincy Carter is the most unappreciated player in the league. He is not the typical strong armed, tall, lancky QB most teams have. But he is smart and quick. His ability to avoid the rush is difficult to defend. This type of fast QB has given us (redskins) the most problems in the past. Randal Cunningham and Donovan McNabb have created a highlight reels against us.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:40 AM   #19
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins
He is not the typical strong armed, tall, lancky QB most teams have. But he is smart and quick.
I think he does hanve a strong arm, and is not smart. I think Parcells is just trying to 'make do' with him at this time. He does have good speed to avoid the rush, though. I do agree that elusive QBs have proved to be our D's traditional weakest point. I think having a FS like Sean Taylor back there will help to fix that, though.
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:46 AM   #20
Defensewins
Playmaker

And our new, faster LB's will help as well. Having Arrington play the weak side is going to make most QB's think twice before taking off and running.
We have to disagree about Quincy Carters QB intelligence. Everytime I saw him play, he played well and made few mistakes. He helped the Cowboys make it to the playoffs. Although the Cowboys #1 ranked defense was most of the reason. Quincy played well enough to win.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:49 AM   #21
memphisskin
Impact Rookie

Our d-line wasn't totally neglected, we did add Philip Daniels and get Brandon Noble back this year. I know we need a pass rusher, but our defense looks upgraded. I look for LaVar to have a MONSTER year as G. Williams will put pressure on the qb and our lb's seem to be the only ones capable of filling that role.

I think the Skins are a lot better positioned to compete with Philly than any other team in the division. We'll be better coached, and don't forget the free agents we've added the past few years definitely add to our talent pool.
memphisskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:57 AM   #22
MTK
\m/

I'm not underestimating Parcells by any means, but in a division where it seems everyone but the Cowboys improved their talent level, it looks like the Cowboys could be a better 'team' in '04 but could have a worse record than they did last year. Plus they're not going to sneak up on anyone this year.

With a glaring need at RB, I just don't think they did a good enough job to fill it with Jones, not when Jackson was right their in their laps.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:58 AM   #23
MTK
\m/

Let's face it, QC will hold on to the starting job just until Henson is ready. QC is not the QB that will lead Parcells back to glory.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 11:16 AM   #24
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I know it has been a foregone conclusion that the Cowboys would sign Testaverde afer June 1. But I wouldn't look pass the possibility of them signing Kerry Collins instead. Remember Sean Payton, who's worked with Collins before, is the QB coach in Dallas
Old 04-26-2004, 02:04 PM   #25
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisskin
Our d-line wasn't totally neglected, we did add Philip Daniels and get Brandon Noble back this year. I know we need a pass rusher, but our defense looks upgraded. I look for LaVar to have a MONSTER year as G. Williams will put pressure on the qb and our lb's seem to be the only ones capable of filling that role.

I think the Skins are a lot better positioned to compete with Philly than any other team in the division. We'll be better coached, and don't forget the free agents we've added the past few years definitely add to our talent pool.
don't forget about griffin. we appear atleast very solid against the run and after the past few years, i'll take that over having great passrushing from the de's. plus let's not forget the 2 years before last year, daniel had 15 total sacks and griffin can provide some pressure up the middle as well. wynn has always been a consistent player and so that just leaves whomever wins the other DT spot unless it's done by rotation.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:02 PM   #26
SkinsRock
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru
don't forget about griffin. we appear atleast very solid against the run and after the past few years, i'll take that over having great passrushing from the de's. plus let's not forget the 2 years before last year, daniel had 15 total sacks and griffin can provide some pressure up the middle as well. wynn has always been a consistent player and so that just leaves whomever wins the other DT spot unless it's done by rotation.
True. I posted somewhere else about how Gardener was a questionable, under-achieving DT pick-up when we got him two years ago, and maybe Griffen could be this year's Gardener....playing-wise of course! The potential is there.
SkinsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:43 PM   #27
Defensewins
Playmaker

If Griffen stays healthy. He has had injury problems.
Our defense is going to be much better than last year, especially since we have a real coaching staff.

New Players on Defense:
S Sean Taylor
LB Marcus Wahington
LB Micheal Barrow
DE Phillip Daniels
DT Cornelius Griffen
CB Sean Springs
CB Walt Harris
CB Ralph Brown

If they all stay healthy, this will be a huge upgrade. everyone of these players is good. No slouches here.
That is a small army of new players. Plus what ever we get after June1 and free agent rookies.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:48 PM   #28
jdlea
Playmaker

I'm not really impressed by the offseason/draft any teams in the NFC East had.

Washington did well, but the acquisition of Brunell was unnecessary and IMO shouldn't have happened. Portis will be huge and I'm high on Sean Taylor, but I have no faith in Brunell...I hope Pat beats him out.

Dallas went backwards. They got another horrible baseball player to come in and suck at QB. Henson has been away for 4 years and only played 8 games at Michigan. I'm not impressed. Forget Keyshawn he's a #2 wide out at best now and he'll complain about how bad Quincy is by week 5.

New York grabbed Eli which finishes them for this season. It could be another 4 and 12 year for them, but Eli is gonna show promise and will probably be pretty good.

Philly got Kearse and Owens. I'm not sure how to read this. Kearse is just looking for something to break his foot on again. I'm not really thinking that was the best pickup considering what he's making. I think Kearse could easily go down again. Owens will probably have a good season. However, I'm not totally convinced that this is going to work. Donovan isn't the most accurate passer at the best of times, so what makes T.O. think he'll be any better off than he was with Jeff Garcia? That's what's so dangerous about QB's who look good with no receivers: eventually they get receivers and you start to realize that, sometimes, it doesn't matter. I could turn out that Donovan didn't throw for a ton of yards because he can't, not because I'm better than the receivers Philly had. I don't know what to make of Philly really, but the whole thing wreaks of Deion Sanders and Jeff George to me.

On another note: how about Kellen Winslow stop whining about the team that didn't pick him and start saying the obligatory, " I'm really excited about being in Cleveland...they've really improved. I'm happy to be a Brown."
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote