Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Who goes? Ohalete or Bowen?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-25-2004, 12:21 PM   #16
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
I saw Iffy make far few bad plays last year than Bowen. I mean, I can't even think of one positive play Bowen made.

Not to mention, not sure how big of a signing bonus Bowen got, but Iffy comes much cheaper and would definitly be a good defensive back, since Williams loves them so!
bowen made atleast 2 or 3 really nice interceptions last year. the only play i remember ohalete making that was worth remembering was that play against the saints 2 season's ago. I think they both might be kept around with ohalete going back to what he did best, work on special teams. franz will most likely be the odd man out unless keeping 4 safeties is the norm and if that's so then they all stick around, but no matter what I think the best pairing is Bowen and Taylor.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-25-2004, 01:14 PM   #17
Scott
Special Teams

we will keep both, Bowen is a natural SS, he has good instincts at that position. Hell he was the spy against the Falcons in the playoffs and had something like 19 tackles on Vick. Bowen is a good SS, a horrible FS, he forgot as a FS you dont let anybody behind you (note the Bucs game this year and Meshawn over the middle).
Iffy is a good insurance policy and one hell of a special teamer. He will still contribute on special teams, and he will more than likely become one of our nickel backs.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 01:39 PM   #18
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

By the story I read from the news paper this morning, it seems to me that Bowen is the first choice over Iffy since free safety is Matt's natural position. However, like Gibbs said..nobody is garaunteed a starting position!
Old 04-25-2004, 01:44 PM   #19
dieselhog
Special Teams

Joe Redskin - Primarily, the biggest difference between the safety positions is speed and coverage. Mostly (not always) the FS should be faster, better hands and stronger in coverage (think Rod Woodson, Ronnie Lott -both converted corners- and Eugene Robinson - ex Hawk/Packer/Panther).

Strong safties normally come up to the line a little more, supporting the run. They need to be sure tacklers and perhaps a little more physical (Ronnie Lott excepted).
dieselhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 02:18 PM   #20
jdlea
Playmaker

At this point let the best man win the SS job because we're locked in at FS for the next decade with Sean Taylor!
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 04:04 PM   #21
Carnage
Special Teams

Taylor's presence will allow Bowen to keep his head down and smack people around. Toss LeVar into the mix and recievers will be wary across the middle.
Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 05:10 PM   #22
joecrisp
The Starter

Iffy was given the lowest tender for an RFA, and didn't get any offers from other teams. He'll be back on the one-year tender if the Skins don't sign him long-term.

Bowen is expected to move to strong safety and provide run support as the eighth man in the box, while Taylor would play at free safety due to his excellent range, coverage and ball-hawking skills. Bowen would provide underneath coverage, filling the gaps Arrington or Washington leave as blitzers, and protecting him from being exposed in the deep-middle zone, where he struggled at times last season.

With Taylor at free safety, the defense has a lot of flexibility to blitz, which is good, because they will have to blitz a lot in order to compensate for the lack of pass rush from their front-four. It will allow Williams to run a lot of Cover 1 and Cover 3 looks, which are commonly used by teams that blitz frequently, or keep their strong safety "in the box".
joecrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 02:24 PM   #23
spanishomelette
Camp Scrub

Hi everybody, this is my first post here...

I get the feeling that Iffy and a lot of other primarily ST guys will find their way into more than a few defensive packages. They appear to be looking for smart guys who don't have the full range of physical skills, but can fill a role. I expect to see a lot of sideline swapping when the defense is on the field (without the unnecessary timeouts of recent years I hope).
spanishomelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 02:40 PM   #24
BossHog

Our secondary looks pretty good huh? With Ralph Brown And Walt Harris backing up Springs and Bauman filling in on nickel and dime packages. Of course, Bowen and Ifey up top and Terrell in the mix. Wow! We should be using the 3-3-5 defensive scheme often.
BossHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 02:46 PM   #25
Bergman14
Special Teams

Bowen is a natural SS, which is what he played in Green Bay, I like Iffy (he won me over with that 80 yard int TD against NO I think?) but the choice is obvious, Taylor at FS and Bowen back to his natural SS. He hasnt "shown" you anything, but he was playing a position that was unnatural to him because iffy is even more one dimensional. I dont think this should really be an argument
Bergman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 02:49 PM   #26
Bergman14
Special Teams

"At this point let the best man win the SS job because we're locked in at FS for the next decade with Sean Taylor!"

With this team I unfortunately would not say this about anyone, see Champ Bailey
Bergman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 02:57 PM   #27
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

The biggest reason Champ left is b/c he was tired of getting a new coach every year. I don't see that as a problem for the next 3-5 years.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote