The Shanaplan Gets Accelerated

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #31
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Re: The Shanaplan Gets Accelerated

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I'm not saying he's worthless or that he has been rode hard and put away wet for a lot of years. I was refering to his age. I know he has had very little playing time and the problem is ...it's probably for a reason. I'm hedging my bet that Beck will not be that much of an improvement if at all over Grossman and the most of you all would like to see him gone. To me, Beck is a nice insurance policy as a second string QB. You guys can't tell me you guys would not be playing Newton or Dalton over Beck. Heck at this point I'd play Tebow over Beck.
Read more closely, I'm not hyping up Beck as a sure starter. In fact, the likely outcome will be a Todd Collins for us. But his lack of success at age 30 needs to account for the fact that a Mormon mission "suspended" his career. Hence, he still can add some things to his game in order to become something worth to us, either as a starter(less likely) or a backup(more likely). I stated that I would love to have our backup QB set so we don't have trot out a Kyle Boller or David Carr instead in case the "future" QB we take or find through UDFA gets hurt. Not once did I insinuate that I'd rather have Beck over Newton. But we don't have a ****ing Cam Newton here, so let's see if this guy(who came for free) can be something worthwhile here, and if he's a good backup, then that's fine, since teams do need a capable veteran backup.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #32
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
Read more closely, I'm not hyping up Beck as a sure starter. In fact, the likely outcome will be a Todd Collins for us. But his lack of success at age 30 needs to account for the fact that a Mormon mission "suspended" his career. Hence, he still can add some things to his game in order to become something worth to us, either as a starter(less likely) or a backup(more likely). I stated that I would love to have our backup QB set so we don't have trot out a Kyle Boller or David Carr instead in case the "future" QB we take or find through UDFA gets hurt. Not once did I insinuate that I'd rather have Beck over Newton. But we don't have a ****ing Cam Newton here, so let's see if this guy(who came for free) can be something worthwhile here, and if he's a good backup, then that's fine, since teams do need a capable veteran backup.

Came for free? Hello our secondary has been reeling since we lost Doug Dutch.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:12 PM   #33
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
What if they draft a guy at the RB position in or above the fifth round? Does Hightower, coming off injury, really have a great shot to beat out a rookie?
The roster would have room for both
Old 10-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #34
Brody81
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I'm with you. Part of me wants to play Crompton NOW, but that would be foolhardy. If Beck doesn't start clicking in the next few weeks, though...
It doesn't matter what QB they start, with the lack of talent at WR the end result will be the same.
Brody81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #35
Brody81
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Now, now.... I'm atleast a gentleman. Grossman got 4 games this year, Beck should be given the same amount of games. If nothing seems to change (as I expect it not to) then I'd make the change to Crompton for atleast 4 games to see if he's worth keeping next year or not.
If it does change, I'm sure you will be salty.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #36
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Came for free? Hello our secondary has been reeling since we lost Doug Dutch.
Aha! I've been caught.

Sike.

We got Dutch back later that season. We signed him to the PS in December. Then we let him walk. Except for the time lost from we we traded him, we ultimately lost nothing.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #37
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody81 View Post
It doesn't matter what QB they start, with the lack of talent at WR the end result will be the same.

this..
Old 10-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #38
Brody81
Impact Rookie

Quote:
I think SBXVII should play QB, I'm sure he would do better.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #39
DCtoAZ
Impact Rookie

I really hate 2012 draft talk in October of 2011. W - T - F

1. WR .. Moss is a total bummer, he is solid & always has been. Austin has shown me enough that he IS a playmaker. Niles PAUL seems to me to be a steal, I love this kid for some reason, he's tough on blocks and just seems ready to step up. Hankerson is the one that really bothers me, I was so juiced up when we drafted him. Hopefully he has finished his humble pie & can use his talents with this opportunity.

2. RB .. Hightower will be back next year, are you crazy ? He was in full BEAST mode when healthy. Helu is special and a GREAT pick, but I highly doubt he's an every down back. Torrain, there is the tricky one. If ATV can stay healthy & have a year like last year and the Rams game. This dude will make waves & take pressure of the QB.

3. CB .. Everyone is right about Los, we made a mistake. I don't think Josh Wilson is that bad, I just think we all got so frustrated with the non-playmaking ability of Los that in ultimately over shadowed his entire game. That being said, Los cost us at least half a dozen games by not catching an easy pick. I'd love to see them draft/trade/sign a STUD CB to go along with D-Hall.

4.Safety ... I know the bears just released Chris Harris, he was second team all Pro last year ? He should be on Redskins One right now.

5.QB ... Beck isn't on a 4 game trial to get "Crompton" some starts. Are you freaking kidding me. Crompton ??? C'mon man. Beck has the reigns for the rest of the season, he deserves his shot & I think if we revisit this thread in 4 weeks we may be saying some different things about all these guys. I don't even wanna think about drafting a QB in the 1st round next year. I can't take this every season. I want Beck to step up and earn the support of DC.

Bottom Line : The Young Guns have time to shine. Put up or shut up.

Let's go surprise those damn Bills and bring it. They are hurting on D & we need to take advantage of that neutral site. Helu & Paul going to have big big days.
NFC EAST CHAMPS RG3 will be back & #12 can run the show until hes ready.We are young w depth. 23,59,89 will all be back.Alfred Morris aka Diesel Hybrid ! @DCtoAZ81 ...2013 NFC CHAMPS
DCtoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #40
calia
Playmaker

For all the talk that the Redskins cannot turn things around in a year (and that we need more like four), while I might be inclined to think a year is unrealistic, four seems indulgent. Look at the vastly improved Lions, Bills, and Raiders this season (heck, even the Bengals look decent). Granted, all three have been drafting a few players upon which to build a foundation for a few years, but so have we (e.g., Orakpo, Williams, Davis) -- just not enough of them. But these are each franchises that have been bottom dwellers for a long, long time. Why can't we seem to climb out of the cellar for anything other than a brief period when Gibbs II was here (for 2 of the 4 years)?

I think part is the competition of the NFC East. While the teams may not be the forces they were in teh 1980s and 1990s, it's still a smashmouth division and the Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys have each had better success than we have had. Part is clearly a decade of Cerrato -- whom I dislike perhaps more than Randy White, Michael Irvin, and some of my other favorite Cowboys to hate. Cerrato did more damage to us than any opposing team, player or coach ever did. But even this doesn't seem to explain why it is that our team has been just so flat out disappointing since about 1992.

I really, really hope BA and MS can turn it around. And maybe these young guys stepping up and playing well will be the first real signs of it.
calia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #41
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by calia View Post
For all the talk that the Redskins cannot turn things around in a year (and that we need more like four), while I might be inclined to think a year is unrealistic, four seems indulgent. Look at the vastly improved Lions, Bills, and Raiders this season (heck, even the Bengals look decent). Granted, all three have been drafting a few players upon which to build a foundation for a few years, but so have we (e.g., Orakpo, Williams, Davis) -- just not enough of them. But these are each franchises that have been bottom dwellers for a long, long time. Why can't we seem to climb out of the cellar for anything other than a brief period when Gibbs II was here (for 2 of the 4 years)?

I think part is the competition of the NFC East. While the teams may not be the forces they were in teh 1980s and 1990s, it's still a smashmouth division and the Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys have each had better success than we have had. Part is clearly a decade of Cerrato -- whom I dislike perhaps more than Randy White, Michael Irvin, and some of my other favorite Cowboys to hate. Cerrato did more damage to us than any opposing team, player or coach ever did. But even this doesn't seem to explain why it is that our team has been just so flat out disappointing since about 1992.

I really, really hope BA and MS can turn it around. And maybe these young guys stepping up and playing well will be the first real signs of it.
They all have guys who can score and stop scores...often. Aka, they have playmakers. Fred Jackson-beast. Stevie Johnson-beast. Darren McFadden-beast. Suh-Beast. Megatron-Beast. And so on. And they're all home grown.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #42
DCtoAZ
Impact Rookie

Quote:
They all have guys who can score and stop scores...often. Aka, they have playmakers. Fred Jackson-beast. Stevie Johnson-beast. Darren McFadden-beast. Suh-Beast. Megatron-Beast. And so on. And they're all home grown.
So your saying .. Orakpo not a beast ? Kerrigan not a beast ? Davis not a beast ? Williams not a beast ? ... Landry although older, is still a beast ? ... ALL HOME GROWN ....
NFC EAST CHAMPS RG3 will be back & #12 can run the show until hes ready.We are young w depth. 23,59,89 will all be back.Alfred Morris aka Diesel Hybrid ! @DCtoAZ81 ...2013 NFC CHAMPS
DCtoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #43
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoAZ View Post
So your saying .. Orakpo not a beast ? Kerrigan not a beast ? Davis not a beast ? Williams not a beast ? ... Landry although older, is still a beast ? ... ALL HOME GROWN ....
Orakpo is a pussy.

I dare him to prove me wrong on Sunday.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:54 PM   #44
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoAZ View Post
They are, bud. We just need even more beasts. MOAR MOARRRRRR. RAWR. I'm a greedy man.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #45
Sonny9TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
After the 2010 debacle that was McNabb/Haynesworth, etc. it was pretty clear that the Shanahan era was going to be a longer evolution. Last offseason was primarily built around remaking the defense to be younger, faster and stronger while trying to get by on offense with minor improvements thru the draft. Now however we are going to see what the team has at key offensive positions..

QB-Beck has basically 3/4 of a season to determine his future as a Redskin and our decision in the 1st round of the 2012 draft. Best case is that he develops into a slightly above average QB that's capable of putting up good numbers and leading the team to a some wins (a la Matt Schaub) or he becomes a career backup, maybe holding the position for 2012 while a rookie learns behind him.

RB-I'm somewhat surprised that Royster wasn't added from the PS with Hightower going down but I think Tim may have been one and done anyways as a Redskin. Now, Torrain and Helu will get more time and we can either see if they are a legit one two punch or if either of them distinguishes himself as the feature back.

WR-While Moss signed a 3 year deal when the lockout ended, he may have one more year after this one as a serviceable WR. With his injury and the continued mediocrity of Armstrong & Stallworth, Niles Paul and Hankerson have a chance to make an impact and show an indication if they can be reliable options in the passing game. Come week 12-17, if they are not active and in the rotation on a consistent basis, that's cause for concern.

OL-I don't think Erik Cook was ever supposed to be more than a depth player but with him being the starting center for the foreseeable future, Shanny and Forester can determine if he is a quality backup, potential starter or just someone else on the 53.

I am by no means throwing in the towel and saying 'play the kids' but by circumstance we should have a much better read on the near term future state of our team in the coming weeks and months.

Trial by fire. They get paid enough to do the job well. They need to do it.
Sonny9TD is offline   Reply With Quote