BCS playoff some day?

Other Sports

Old 04-25-2007, 11:24 PM   #1
FRPLG
MVP

BCS playoff some day?

NCAA Football - CBS SportsLine.com

All I can say is holy crap!

I didn't think the day would come where it would even seem remotely possible that these dunderheads would even start considering a playoff. It may be a decade away but at least it has entered the radar.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-25-2007, 11:27 PM   #2
KLHJ2
Inactive

Re: BCS playoff some day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
NCAA Football - CBS SportsLine.com

All I can say is holy crap!

I didn't think the day would come where it would even seem remotely possible that these dunderheads would even start considering a playoff. It may be a decade away but at least it has entered the radar.
Bout frigin time they started thinking about it! Maybe next year they will introduce the foreward pass.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:44 PM   #3
GhettoDogAllStars
Playmaker

If the BCS becomes a playoff, it could very well be one of the most watched sporting events there is. Whether or not it happens is all about the money.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:46 PM   #4
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoDogAllStars View Post
If the BCS becomes a playoff, it could very well be one of the most watched sporting events there is. Whether or not it happens is all about the money.
You are correct and I doubt that the Big four want to give up that kind of cheese every three years.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:24 AM   #5
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:

Jason Campbell's '04 perfect Auburn squad was left out of the title game.

It's about time but I won't look for it to happen anytime soon. The NCAA and BCS doesn't care about fans or fairness, they care about their TV and sponsorship contracts. Look at the ridiculous Bowl game names we have now...the Pepto Bismol/Frank's Red Hot Sauce Rice Bowl and crap like that...they'll have to find a way to build the sponsorships into every playoff game, like making the playoff games into Bowl games at the same time. It would be a shame to see a tradition like the Rose Bowl die, but for the future of the sport, a playoff system needs put in place. College football will never die, but they could win back a lot of fans (like of the 2004 Auburn team) that may be angry about being cheated out of a title and get more fans who only like the NFL because of it's fairness in finding a champ. The current BCS system does hurt the level of interest somewhat and makes more people angry than excited about the sport.

I hope it happens soon, but given the NCAA's track record, I'm not too optimistic for the near future.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:20 AM   #6
Clutch
Camp Scrub

Wherever the money is, the college football world will follow. Whenever enough of the powerful people in charge believe that they can generate more income with a playoff system, 1-A college football will get a playoff system.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:02 AM   #7
djnemo65
Playmaker

I've never gotten how you could add more high profile games while dramatically increasing the popularity of your league and somehow lose money. I think it's as much laziness as anything else.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #8
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

April 21, 2011

Utah Attorney General leading the way for an antitrust suit against the BCS claims other state Attorney Generals will follow with similar suits or join their suit. I forget which one exactly.

Utah AG still pursuing BCS antitrust lawsuit - FoxNews.com

As Utah antitrust suit looms, BCS threatens return to old ways - Andy Staples - SI.com

Utah AG Shurtleff seeking outside counsel to help file BCS antitrust lawsuit - The Washington Post

Anyway just to catch you up to speed. The Utah AG is saying that the BCS is a cartel meant to protect the big schools and that the system is leaving hundreds of millions of dollars that can be used to fund public institutions on the table in the interest of protecting the SEC's, Pac 10, Big 12, Big 10, and other BCS Automatic Bid conferences. Or at least that's what I'm getting from the TV segment on College Football Live and these articles.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 04-22-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:16 AM   #9
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Video: For People To Lazy to Read.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 04-22-2011 at 04:24 AM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote