Debating with the enemy

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2021, 10:14 AM   #11
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: The 2nd Amendment Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Its self defense with an asterix. Its an ugly self defense. Manufactured self defense .. which goes against the spirit of "lethal force only if absolutely necessary".

Reminds me of an MMA fighter who goes to bars and then picks fights with drunk guys.

Americans killing Americans in the street bc of political beliefs.

Its ugly.
+1

I have a lot of thoughts on the Rittenhouse trial but not enough time at the moment to put together something cohesive.

To me it's the trucker argument - if a trucker pulls over on the side of the road to sleep and a car crashes into the truck and kills the car driver - it's the trucker's fault for being there in the first place. I think the prosecutor did a poor job of emphasizing the responsibility Rittenhouse has for placing himself in that situation. If I bring a rifle to a riot and end up killing other people at the riot I bear some responsibility for it - even if it was self defense - which I'm not disputing here given the terrible idea for the prosecution to put a guy on the stand who admitted he was holding a gun when he got shot by Rittenhouse.

I think everyone involved in this is terrible. Rittenhouse is terrible - the people he killed were terrible for going after a guy with a gun barehanded, the prosecution is terrible for their approach to the trial, the judge is terrible. There's no winners here. Even once Rittenhouse is acquitted I fully expect to hear his name in the news again, probably for the next time he decides to prioritize buildings over human life.