Debating with the enemy

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2016, 01:45 PM   #11
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Re: Recount Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
61% disapprove of him now. However i was referring to the entire world,...
A world poll would be more like 85%. They think the guy is bat shit crazy across the pond. Possibly because he is. Lol
I really, truly, do not give one rat's ass what the world thinks of our choices. Same would be true if HC had won.

What I care about is US security and secure trade. Obviously, US's security is increased in a stable world. To the extent our military commitments enhance that, great. However, through our investment in military spending and the commitment of young American men and women to be the "trigger point" for US involvement (the latter be the MUCH more important investment), we end up shouldering the vast majority of risk of instability. To that end, STFU world.

You want a secure world? Pay for it. We do and we have our boys and girls risking their lives on your land so that if folks mess with you, they know they are messing with us.

You want to continue with expensive social welfare policies that are affordable because WE provide you with a stable safe world in which we can all sing kum-by-yah without fear of invasion (again, unless your enemy is willing to kill OUR kids which we have sent to your country to be fodder for stability)? Fine, but you lose the right to bitch when decide that the cost of that investment of blood and money is more than we are willing to pay and not worth the return.

Am I afraid that Trump's midnight tweets will set off Armageddon? Nope.

Am I concerned that Trump's lack of easy predictability in foreign affairs will increase concerns of instability by countries that rely on us to provide stability and that the increased concerns may lead to actual instability? Yes.

... but that is for us to watch and monitor and to, ultimately, balance against our self-interest, expressed through our investment, in world stability. If "the world" is concerned about instability, then don't f'ing put all your eggs in one basket (i.e. American money and blood) and then bitch when the owner of the basket starts wondering if carrying everyone else's eggs is worth keeping its eggs safe as well.

Well, that was very rant like, but the left's "oh me oh my, what do they think of us" attitude towards world opinion is as lacking in nuance as the "Murica!" crowd's world view and just pisses me off.