Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

MLB 2014 Season

Other Sports

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #11
JLee9718
Impact Rookie

Re: MLB 2014 Season

Well, now that Matt Williams has learned that there is regular season baseball strategy and playoff game strategy, will he make any decision changes next season or will he stick to the same old script, "We did it that way all season long..."? Just call me a sore loser, but really, Williams needs to take some lessons from Buck Showalter, the Baltimore Orioles' manager. In the third game against Detroit, in the 9th inning with one out, Buck walked to the pitcher's mound and didn't summon for another reliever, he just said, "Okay, I want you to walk this guy you're facing and put him on first (and yeah, I know it's putting the winning run on base and smart baseball strategy tells you to never do that, but this is the playoffs), and then the next batter will hit into a double play and we can go home." The pitcher nodded to his manager, walked the guy at the plate, and then the next batter, as Buck had predicted, hit into a game-ending double play! The Orioles beat the Tigers 3 games to none in their playoff series! Now that's what I want Williams to do when he's faced with some hard decisions in the playoffs. Actually, I'd rather he go somewhere else to manage.
JLee9718 is offline   Reply With Quote