Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Why Are We So Divided On Jason Campbell?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-23-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
12thMan
MVP

Why Are We So Divided On Jason Campbell?

In an effort to narrow the scope of our conversation when it comes to evaluting Jason Campbell and possibly his future as a Washington Redskin, I want to broach this topic from a different angle. His stats are what they are, so there's no debating his production. We're well aware of the woes along the offensive line and the carousel of offensive coordinators and systems since he's been here. Been there, done that. But it's perplexing to me how we all watch the same guy for five years now and yet we're still split down the middle on him.

If I throw out a few names like Philip Rivers or Eli Manning, Donovan McNabb or David Garrard, most fans could tell you with certainty what they like and dislike about those QBs, but there's also consensus whether or not they're good enough to take their teams to the next level. Not so with Campbell and Redskins fans it seems.

Most Skins fans fall into one of two camps when opining about Jason Campbell: a) He has all the tools and potential, but he needs more help and talent around him and has been handcuffed, to some extent, by the team's offensive philosphy or b) Campbell has had long enough to develop into a great NFL quarterback, but he's been eratic, at best, and displays little leadership and isn't an accurate passer.

It's a very odd relationship. I don't know, maybe this is really an excercise in fan phsycology more than evaluating an NFL quarterback. Finally, let me go on the record saying that if the Redskins decide not to retain Campbell's services next season I think either Oakland or San Francisco could be a likely scenerio.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-23-2009, 09:41 AM   #2
12thMan
MVP

re: Why Are We So Divided On Jason Campbell?

Mods, can I get a P in Campbell?
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
Ruhskins
Living Legend

re: Why Are We So Divided On Jason Campbell?

People are so divided on Campbell because narrow-minded/Snyder-like fans believe that he's the only reason we're not doing well, and also believe that those of us who don't think like this are Campbell apologists.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Why Are We So Divided On Jason Campbell?

Choice B at this point. JC has skills no doubt and can make some plays, but I think the end of the game yesterday sums up what I expect from him, not to get it done when the game is on the line. Doesnt have it. Is JC our biggest problem? Nope. But, he not bringing anything to the table to really elevate this team offensively. Look at Win-Losses and Look at our offense as a whole...garbage, bottom 3 in league. Is this all JC's fault. Nope. Is he a contributing factor, Yep.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #5
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
People are so divided on Campbell because narrow-minded/Snyder-like fans believe that he's the only reason we're not doing well, and also believe that those of us who don't think like this are Campbell apologists.
Oh so if someone does not view JC as you do they are narrow minded. That statement by itself is norrow minded. I'm split on JC one minute he looks great then he makes a stupid play. If he is gone next year I wouldn't really care or if we gave him another year I would not mind. The only thing I don't want us to do is to sign him to any thing more then a 1 or 2 year deal and the only way I think he would do that if no other team makes a better offer.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
maroonandblack30
Special Teams

its impossible to judge Campbell fairly with this O-line...I think he could be solid with a good line and at least 1 legit #1 WR.

I mean who is really a better option than him for NEXT year? Even if Snyder does what we think he will and drafts a QB with their first pick you still need someone to play while the new guy learns.
maroonandblack30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Oh so if someone does not view JC as you do they are narrow minded. That statement by itself is norrow minded. I'm split on JC one minute he looks great then he makes a stupid play. If he is gone next year I wouldn't really care or if we gave him another year I would not mind. The only thing I don't want us to do is to sign him to any thing more then a 1 or 2 year deal and the only way I think he would do that if no other team makes a better offer.
Apparently you didn't read my post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I don't care whether people think he's good or bad...I just don't think he's the only problem this team has and that to me is being narrow-minded. I've been saying that he should be brought back only as competition or as a back up role. I do agree that he's up and down on his play. But given the so-so crop of FA QBs, I would say keep him to a short low-cost contract.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #8
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Mods, can I get a P in Campbell?

Ewwww, you just went all R. Kelly on CamPbell and want the Mods to help you. =)
Old 11-23-2009, 10:11 AM   #9
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Well, I would say the argument revolves around the infamous "IT" factor.

Many, including myself, saw JC's stats, and constant progression and felt he could be a starter for a long time. The defense of that position is clearly demonstrated in the His stats don't lie thread, where Buster has done the weekly tracking, and by GTripp's excellent analysis over the past years.

Others look first at the W/L column, and ask the question but can he win, or does he make the team better (like a qb is "supposed" to do). This is subjective, and most of the time people have tried to back it up with football lingo - slow release, can't anticipate, - which the stat people then try to disprove.

The one thing I think everyone now agrees, is that at this point JC has had his 5 years, we ought to look at a open competition next year, and at the least JC is a valid backup. Not many would question putting a 3rd round tender on him, and most would agree with a 2nd round tender.

Me, i am ready for a new qb, assuming we first get the OL fixed.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:11 AM   #10
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post

I agree, would not mind him as a back up.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:13 AM   #11
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonandblack30 View Post
its impossible to judge Campbell fairly with this O-line...I think he could be solid with a good line and at least 1 legit #1 WR.

I mean who is really a better option than him for NEXT year? Even if Snyder does what we think he will and drafts a QB with their first pick you still need someone to play while the new guy learns.
The only guy that looks the part is Clausen. He'll be gone to Stl by the time we pick. Otherwise I say you bring JC back cause there really isn't anyone else out there that's any better. But I also think it's going to come down to the new HC.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #12
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

This isn't something new though. Haven't we experienced this with other QBs-Ramsey, Brunell, even others like Frerotte, Kilmer/Jurgensen, Humphries...?
Old 11-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #13
Monkeydad
Living Legend

JC is showing lately that he can lead this team. We're losing players constantly to injury. The O-line first, which has gotten JC completely abused. Portis. Cooley. Now Betts. JC's still keeping the team going as well as it can without a competent line. He's outplaying the opponents QBs consistently. Yesterday he was much more accurate than Romo, made some nice plays (especially the escape/pass to Devin Thomas) and outpassed Romo by 100 yards. Now with our kick returner in at RB, he's keeping us in games and we would have won is Shawn Shankem would have made either of the two FGs he missed. He continues to be a low-interception QB compared to many others in the league, despite being rushed and harassed on every play almost immediately after dropping back.

We need to build up the line next year, make sure we have stability at RB and he can be one of the better QBs in the NFC. He'll have a Fred Davis who now contributes with Cooley back, he'll have a finally-productive Devin Thomas and possibly Malcolm Kelly. We need to bring him back with a new coaching staff and offensive line. He has proven he can be our guy and should have now put to rest any doubts that Cutler or Sanchez would have been better. They're both tanking badly despite having better offensive lines and their starting RBs still healthy. (Thomas Jones and Matt Forte)
Old 11-23-2009, 10:43 AM   #14
budw38
Playmaker

Because we are dazed and confused , LOL . Easy , we like JC = great guy, hard working , doesn't cry or blame his teamates . We move the dang ball , but can't into the endzone . As soon as we win and score TD's , the confusion will end ... with or without JC . We need OL and health !!!!!
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #15
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
JC is showing lately that he can lead this team. We're losing players constantly to injury. The O-line first, which has gotten JC completely abused. Portis. Cooley. Now Betts. JC's still keeping the team going as well as it can without a competent line. He's outplaying the opponents QBs consistently. Yesterday he was much more accurate than Romo, made some nice plays (especially the escape/pass to Devin Thomas) and outpassed Romo by 100 yards. Now with our kick returner in at RB, he's keeping us in games and we would have won is Shawn Shankem would have made either of the two FGs he missed. He continues to be a low-interception QB compared to many others in the league, despite being rushed and harassed on every play almost immediately after dropping back.

We need to build up the line next year, make sure we have stability at RB and he can be one of the better QBs in the NFC. He'll have a Fred Davis who now contributes with Cooley back, he'll have a finally-productive Devin Thomas and possibly Malcolm Kelly. We need to bring him back with a new coaching staff and offensive line. He has proven he can be our guy and should have now put to rest any doubts that Cutler or Sanchez would have been better. They're both tanking badly despite having better offensive lines and their starting RBs still healthy. (Thomas Jones and Matt Forte)
Yea he did out pass Romo but Romo put together the drive when needed to win the game. How did JC respond? People then say we don't have a true #1 Wr but I could point out game after game open guys JC does not see.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote