Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

State of the Union Speech

Debating with the enemy

Old 01-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

State of the Union Speech

Don't know if you all caught this, but I was watching bits of it. To me it's a bit sad that shooting is what was needed to bring these politicians off each others throats and proceed respectfully, but apparently it is.

Really wasn't too much substance there, which keeps in line with some of the State of the Union speeches Bush gave. Also it was obvious he focused on bipartisan issues that everyone would support in principal. Let's see if they can walk the walk.

Finally I am disappointed gun control wasn't brought up. Although it is sad Gifford's shooting is what has spurred more civility between parties, I don't know why the President didn't push gun control. Unfortunately in a few weeks this story will be forgotten and getting real change will be difficult. To me it really doesn't make sense.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
hooskins

Re: State of the Union Speech

Additionally I am interesting in seeing the White House's budget plan. I don't know how a spending freeze, investment in education, etc. is all going to work out on the books.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

He supposedly decided that gun control should be a stand alone topic, and he will be addressing it in a separate speech shortly. I heard it from CNN, MSNBC, or Fox. Honestly, don't remember right now
Old 01-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

He is a good speaker, but in the end it is just showboating and making political points (as was most of Bush's State of the Union addresses). What counts is whether or not he, the Republicans, and Democrats, can all work together to get it right. I am very interested in seeing the proposal he mentioned on consolidating and re-organizing government. I would guess that will get a lot bipartisan hate.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
hooskins

You could sense the collective heart beat of Congress skyrocketed when he mentioned reorganizing government. They start thinking about all the people who they have hooked up, their team, their future positions, etc. Effing politicians.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
saden1
MVP

Same recycled material, pointless speech.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
redsk1
The Starter

Yea, unfortunately there's never much substance. I'm just really disappointed in our government in general. Everyone has an agenda an virtually all members vote along their party lines. How about our leaders standing up for their own opinions vs always siding with their own party? How about a little out of the box thinking?
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsk1 View Post
Yea, unfortunately there's never much substance. I'm just really disappointed in our government in general. Everyone has an agenda an virtually all members vote along their party lines. How about our leaders standing up for their own opinions vs always siding with their own party? How about a little out of the box thinking?
Money talks, bullshit walks. How about public financing of elections?

Main Street: 0
Special Interest: 1,000,000

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:57 PM   #9
mlmpetert
Playmaker

I wasnt able to watch, Mean Girls 2 was on so excellent cable programming won. It definitely doesnt stack up to the original and the chicks wernt nearly as hot and wouldnt be worth watching again in my opinion.

I heard a lot about the idea of repubs and dems sitting next to each other, did that end up happening? At first i thought that it was a great idea and might promote bipartisanship. Then i heard part of the reason they sit apart is because then both parties can make absolutely clear what they agree with and not (by applauding and standing up and stuff), which allows viewers to decide which of the major parties they side with most. Im kind of against just having 2 parties so i still think the idea of sitting all jumbled up is better; better to vote for the individual that you side with rather then party that is made up of more popular ideas while ignoring less sellable stuff, in my mind.

I dont want to hijack or anything and i would like to see what Obama has to say about gun control but at this point i dont think there is anything that can be done right now. This is a great read on why we are where we are, a quick history of Glock, and why things dont seem like theyre gonna change anytime soon:

Glock: America's Gun - BusinessWeek
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #10
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
I wasnt able to watch, Mean Girls 2 was on so excellent cable programming won. It definitely doesnt stack up to the original and the chicks wernt nearly as hot and wouldnt be worth watching again in my opinion.

I heard a lot about the idea of repubs and dems sitting next to each other, did that end up happening? At first i thought that it was a great idea and might promote bipartisanship. Then i heard part of the reason they sit apart is because then both parties can make absolutely clear what they agree with and not (by applauding and standing up and stuff), which allows viewers to decide which of the major parties they side with most. Im kind of against just having 2 parties so i still think the idea of sitting all jumbled up is better; better to vote for the individual that you side with rather then party that is made up of more popular ideas while ignoring less sellable stuff, in my mind.

I dont want to hijack or anything and i would like to see what Obama has to say about gun control but at this point i dont think there is anything that can be done right now. This is a great read on why we are where we are, a quick history of Glock, and why things dont seem like theyre gonna change anytime soon:

Glock: America's Gun - BusinessWeek
America's Gun?
Soo...that means all the Cowboys are packin'......America's gun?
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
America's Gun?
Soo...that means all the Cowboys are packin'......America's gun?
American's Gun in how it was instrumental in changing our laws.
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #12
firstdown
Living Legend

I saw some but switched to Tosh.o which was on about the same level. For the people who think gun control will actually work please explain this. We have had a war on drugs for how many years and if I wanted drugs I could find them anytime and about anywhere. With that in mind how would making guns illegal or certain guns illegal stop anything?
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:34 PM   #13
JPPT1974
Special Teams

Notice that some of the AZ rampage victims made it there. And sat up in the box with the First Lady. Really wouldn't be doing that, after all that happened. And lives ruined and all of that, maybe in a year. But nearly three weeks, no! But then again, you don't say no to the President of the USA!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #14
hooskins

First, look at it this way: Mexico has a huge drug and violence problem, which is internal. However they can't buy any guns in Mexico because guns are almost not available. They get almost all their guns from the US because they are ridiculously easy to buy here.

If we have very strict guns laws, especially on certain types of weapons,ammo, etc., then where are people(domestic and international) going to get their guns to commit crimes? In my opinion, criminals with weapons that cannot kill at the rate of certain guns leads to a safer society(I know this is hugely debatable for some people).

This would be very difficult because the gun lobby has a huge stranglehold on Congress. What I really do not like is the same people who say the Founding Father's were all Christian and that our government was created with Cristian foundations/values(interpret the context of our Constitution's creation very literally and apply it in that fashion) are the same folks who ignore the 2nd Amendment was created when weapons were muskets and swords; automatic weapons and rounds of ammo were not even conceivable. If you want to interpret literally, let's be consistent here.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #15
MTK
\m/

I really don't see a reason for automatic weapons to be on the streets. You should have to jump through hoops to buy a gun, you shouldn't be able to waltz into your local Wal-Mart or go to a gun show and walk away fully loaded - often without even showing an ID.

This country sure loves it's guns. No big surprise we're such a violent society as well.