Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Question about the transition.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-27-2004, 06:33 PM   #1
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Question about the transition.

Say a star player in college had always been a big Redskin's fan. Is it possible for him to forego the draft and sign directly with the Skins? If not, this nullifies the arguments about he entered the draft blah blah. Just curious if it's possible.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 06:40 PM   #2
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

i've wondered about that myself
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 06:44 PM   #3
saden1
MVP

He can by not applying for the draft. Un-drafted free agents can go wherever they want. I believe the redskins have open tryouts where anyone is welcome.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 06:47 PM   #4
itvnetop
Playmaker

yup, then it's only a matter of how much you want to get paid... UFA's aren't guaranteed contracts, so their leverage isn't much. If you're a star, the choice is b/t picking the team you want to play for as a UFA or getting drafted and getting paid.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 07:09 PM   #5
EEich
The Starter

I don't believe it. What's stopping Clarett from jumping into the NFL right now? I'm sure his agent could get him paid.
EEich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 07:18 PM   #6
Riggo44
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEich
I don't believe it. What's stopping Clarett from jumping into the NFL right now? I'm sure his agent could get him paid.
That's true. But I think you have to be out of H.S for 2 yrs before you can enter the draft.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:39 PM   #7
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggo44
That's true. But I think you have to be out of H.S for 2 yrs before you can enter the draft.
Correction: You have to be out of H.S. for 2 years to play in the NFL.

This brings up the question of whether anyone who hasn't actually graduated from H.S. can ever play in the NFL.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 07:47 PM   #8
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1
Correction: You have to be out of H.S. for 2 years to play in the NFL.

This brings up the question of whether anyone who hasn't actually graduated from H.S. can ever play in the NFL.
i thought it was 3 years
Old 04-27-2004, 08:18 PM   #9
jdlea
Playmaker

You have to be away from your graduating class for 3 years. You don't necessarily have to graduate from high school. Larry Fitzgerald had only been at Pitt for 2 years, but because he went to a prep school he had technically been away from his graduating class for 3 years.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:31 PM   #10
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

I think being out of highschool for three years is the only requirement. Plenty of players just tryout and make teams every year. If you are a star player, im guessing its just kinda expected that you enter the draft because you will get more money that way.

So what im saying is that Snyder needs fly to the University Of Miami next year, and tell all the players that we want not to enter the draft and he'll make sure they get their money.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:14 PM   #11
hi-jinx
Special Teams

Are you sure about that there is a way to pick your team and not enter the draft. I don't think so. I remeber a few people on Espn at the end of the draft saying that a player is better off not being drafted then being drafted in the last round, because then the player could shop himself around and get the better. It seems to me if you were a star and could skip the draft completly why wouldn't you? The teams who wanted you would just be in a bidding war, right?

Last edited by hi-jinx; 04-27-2004 at 09:18 PM.
hi-jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 09:31 PM   #12
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I would have thought we would have seen elite players skip the draft if this were possible.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 09:59 PM   #13
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

This is from the NFL's CBA - which can be found here: http://www.nflpa.org/Members/main.as...Complete#art16

College Draft:
Section 11. Undrafted Rookies: Any person who has not been selected by a Club in a College Draft shall be free, after the completion of a College Draft for which he is eligible, to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any such person after such date, without any penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to, Draft Choice Compensation between Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind.

In simple english, any player wishing to join the NFL must first be subject to the draft. If they are not drafted, then they are free to sign with whomever they choose. If you are not eligible to be drafted, then you cannot play in the NFL.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 10:23 PM   #14
hi-jinx
Special Teams

Wow I am glad you found that. Something I find interesting in section 8 it says that anyone who is drafted, holds out, gets drafted again, and holds out for a second season is free agent. I doubt anyone would dare hold out for 2 years but who knows.
hi-jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 10:41 PM   #15
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

what about players like kurt warner? i don't remember ever hearing about him being in a draft. what if u aren't coming right out of college or haven't gone to college all together, but u want to try out for a team? i know i would personally look into the rules and options if i were a decent player in college who wanted to play for certain teams or to make sure i don't have to play for a team i hated.