Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Strahan wanting out of NY

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-26-2004, 12:19 PM   #1
]<ing
Camp Scrub

Strahan wanting out of NY?

Anyone else hear news on this?

Would the Skins be able to sign him / package a deal to trade? -- they're short on LBs, and Trotter could be packaged.....

We all know how badly we need a legit pass rush.
]<ing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 12:22 PM   #2
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

why did he say he wanted out? I dont see that happening, and I dont think we could afford him. If we picked up him though...wow, talk about upgrading the team this offseason.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:24 PM   #3
]<ing
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES
why did he say he wanted out? I dont see that happening, and I dont think we could afford him. If we picked up him though...wow, talk about upgrading the team this offseason.
I'm searching for some links now -- bear with me....

If we packaged Trotter -- wouldn't his cap hit/relief offset the hit we'd take from Strahan?

I'm no cap guru by any means, so anyone with a better grasp of the #'s feel free to chime in....
Old 04-26-2004, 12:25 PM   #4
skins009
Impact Rookie

NO NO No we have no money. You guys have forgotten that Synder balances our books and does a pretty shitty job on it. We have no money, and I don't thinkn Strahan is gonna want to play for free.
skins009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 12:27 PM   #5
]<ing
Camp Scrub

wouldn't moving Trotter free up a good chunk?
Old 04-26-2004, 12:27 PM   #6
Spearhead
Camp Scrub

would be nice but i don't see the NY front office making that big of a personnel and PR mistake (trading to a division rival)

In fact, if I was a GM in the NFL, I'd don't think I'd make any trades that Gibbs would accept/offer. after this weekend, it's obvious the skins are on the fast track.

Still, we might do something with Samuels, but i don't think Trotter has enough value to factor in.
Spearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 12:50 PM   #7
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

Cutting Trotter doesnt free up that much money, this year. We have to absorb the rest of his signing bonus. If we cut him after june 1st we would take a small hit this year and defer most of it until next year. I think they should try to absorb all the hit this year and have more money for next year, they are going to need it with Smoot. We might not be able to add everyone we want if we take the hit this year though. I havent heart any of the rumors about the Will Smith trade...im not sure how I feel about that yet. He would have smaller cap numbers but he doesnt seem like an elite end, ill have to read up on him more.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:54 PM   #8
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

This is what Strahan said:

"At this point in my career I'd prefer to have Kerry Collins playing for us, to be honest with you," Giants defensive end Michael Strahan said yesterday. "I don't have the luxury of time, of sitting for two or three years until someone figures it out. And I think (Manning) is a great quarterback, a phenomenal talent, just like his brother. But it took his brother a few years to figure it out before he became the best in the game. I personally don't have time for that."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/st...p-161742c.html
Old 04-26-2004, 04:05 PM   #9
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by smootsmack
This is what Strahan said:

"At this point in my career I'd prefer to have Kerry Collins playing for us, to be honest with you," Giants defensive end Michael Strahan said yesterday. "I don't have the luxury of time, of sitting for two or three years until someone figures it out. And I think (Manning) is a great quarterback, a phenomenal talent, just like his brother. But it took his brother a few years to figure it out before he became the best in the game. I personally don't have time for that."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/st...p-161742c.html
Here is a quote from me:

"You are a great player and we would love to have you on our team. The question is would you be willing to play for a minimum and sacrifice some money to win a championship ring? We can't guarantee a championship but we do have a hall of famer coach and quality QB."

-saden
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:33 PM   #10
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1
Here is a quote from me:

"You are a great player and we would love to have you on our team. The question is would you be willing to play for a minimum and sacrifice some money to win a championship ring? We can't guarantee a championship but we do have a hall of famer coach and quality QB."

-saden
i don't know about trying to get him to play for the minimum salary but atleast a 2-5million dollar a year cut which could be made up for in a large signing bonus and maybe a little part could be recouped with incentives.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:39 PM   #11
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Since Strahan is under contract to the Giants, the team has to agree to trade him. If the Giants' FO has a cumulative IQ higher than a rutabaga, they are not going to trade Strahan to an NFC East team and have to play him twice a year.

If they go looking to trade Strahan there will be more than a couple of interested teams - particularly if Strahan is willing to redo his deal.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 01:02 PM   #12
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

He wants his ring and he knows he isnt going to get that with a rookie QB... Personally, if I was a player looking for a ring I think Washington would be a great place to go! We could be a dlinemen away from being a very dominant team. We hae a lot of new players and need to gel as a team, but under Gibbs that could happen much quicker. I say by next year at the latest we are deep into the playoffs. Id normaly say we are going to win this year but lets face it, this isnt the first time we thought we signed the world in free agency. Our team needs to become a team and learn to play together. I think we finally have a stafff that can make that happen.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:51 PM   #13
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

We don't have the cap space, so it would have to be a trade. IMHO Samuels for Strahan would be a mistake...
Old 04-26-2004, 02:45 PM   #14
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

no one can deny his numbers and production but it's his salary cap numbers that bother me. didn't he recently sign a pretty big deal a year or 2 ago? if this was a possibility with strahan possibly reworking some of his cap numbers, i'd say do it in a heartbeat. we know he's a good guy in the lockerroom and a leader on the field, but unfortunately i dont think the giants are stupid enough to trade a beast of a d-lineman like strahan to and in division opponent especially since they r gonna have a crappy line and a rookie qb.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 03:01 PM   #15
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Strahan isn't going anywhere. He's stuck in NY and I bet he is unhappy. This is a team trying to rebuild and using him for some credibility until they get back on their feet.

Mark my words - the NYG's are going to be very bad this year. If they get five wins, I would be surprised. (It would be great if they sucked soooo bad that SD gets the first pick in NEXT year's draft!)
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote