Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Greg vs. Gregg

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-03-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
J. Spanky
Special Teams

Greg vs. Gregg

We’ve already taken the time to give it up to greg blache in a previous thread. After watching the jaguars/Bengals game yesterday, I think it is time to give yet another pat on the back to Dinny Snerrato for another of several excellent moves this offseason: replacing gregg williams with greg blache.

After much speculation about how our D would perform without ol’ grilliams on the sideline, can there be any doubt now who the superior coordinator is? Our defensive game plans and play calls have been an integral part of our 6-2 start while the jaguar’s defense continues to languish in mediocrity.

This summer, it was widely accepted (even on this very site) that the jags had a superior defensive talent base to ours; that gregg would thrive there and likely parlay his inevitable success into either a lucrative contract extension in Jacksonville or a head coaching job elsewhere. thus far, anything resembling this notion has failed to materialize. Meanwhile, coach blache’s efforts, while continuing to go largely unrecognized nationally (hopefully that will change tonight!), have been stellar.

The redskins brass not only sought to retain coach blache’s services, but were so certain he was the right man for the job, they did what was necessary ($$$ presumably) to convince him not retire which he, apparently, was ready and willing to do.

Yes, the season is still young and anything can still happen. But it is not too early to give credit where it is due.

Thoughts?

Advertisements
Old 11-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
redsk1
The Starter

Re: Greg vs. Gregg

Blache deserves a ton of credit so far. He's done a great job. I wasn't so sure about GB, but i was wrong. Very wrong.

I don't think Jacksonville's play so far blemishes GW's. The guy can flat out coach defense. It might take them a little while to get comfortable in his system.

Remember GW was pretty good here too.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Spanky View Post
We’ve already taken the time to give it up to greg blache in a previous thread. After watching the jaguars/Bengals game yesterday, I think it is time to give yet another pat on the back to Dinny Snerrato for another of several excellent moves this offseason: replacing gregg williams with greg blache.

After much speculation about how our D would perform without ol’ grilliams on the sideline, can there be any doubt now who the superior coordinator is? Our defensive game plans and play calls have been an integral part of our 6-2 start while the jaguar’s defense continues to languish in mediocrity.

This summer, it was widely accepted (even on this very site) that the jags had a superior defensive talent base to ours; that gregg would thrive there and likely parlay his inevitable success into either a lucrative contract extension in Jacksonville or a head coaching job elsewhere. thus far, anything resembling this notion has failed to materialize. Meanwhile, coach blache’s efforts, while continuing to go largely unrecognized nationally (hopefully that will change tonight!), have been stellar.

The redskins brass not only sought to retain coach blache’s services, but were so certain he was the right man for the job, they did what was necessary ($$$ presumably) to convince him not retire which he, apparently, was ready and willing to do.

Yes, the season is still young and anything can still happen. But it is not too early to give credit where it is due.

Thoughts?
Both are good D coaches so I'm not going to judge GW's for his short term as Jag's D coach. He is playing with players that he did not pick and maybe his system requires a different type of player. GB just took over were GW's left off and has done a grat job and we have seen our D grow even more this year.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
over the mountain
Playmaker

i dont know, i liked the double G, he was frustrating at times (with that 10 yard cushion on the outside but i suppose that was an adjustment to stop all those long balls we were getting hit with that year) but held players accountable and had a top ten D 2 out of 3 years (or 3 out of 4?).

i do feel like we did him alil dirty by showing him the door when there might have been an unspoken agreement that when gibbs stepped down he would be named head coach, then throw in the false reprts that he disparaged gibbs (which danny and vinny of course denied when double gg called them out about it) and yeah . . .the organization did him dirty imo. like a professional, he said the right things and moved on.

blache has done very well and i dont think i need to downplay double g to give blache his props. i gotta enough love for everybody (except not in that gay way, not that theres anything wrong yada yada yada).

any stats on how the jags D is doing this year?

go skins!!
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
i dont know, i liked the double G, he was frustrating at times (with that 10 yard cushion on the outside but i suppose that was an adjustment to stop all those long balls we were getting hit with that year) but held players accountable and had a top ten D 2 out of 3 years (or 3 out of 4?).

i do feel like we did him alil dirty by showing him the door when there might have been an unspoken agreement that when gibbs stepped down he would be named head coach, then throw in the false reprts that he disparaged gibbs (which danny and vinny of course denied when double gg called them out about it) and yeah . . .the organization did him dirty imo. like a professional, he said the right things and moved on.

blache has done very well and i dont think i need to downplay double g to give blache his props. i gotta enough love for everybody (except not in that gay way, not that theres anything wrong yada yada yada).

any stats on how the jags D is doing this year?

go skins!!
Redskins are currently fourth in total Defense behind the likes of the Steelers, Ravens, and Giants. The Jaguars are currently 23rd in total defense.

Redskins are 8th in Points per game with 18.7. The Jaguars are 14th with 21.5.

1st Downs per game: Redskins are 7th with 15.9. Jaguars are 20th with 19.5.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:04 AM   #6
J. Spanky
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Redskins are currently fourth in total Defense behind the likes of the Steelers, Ravens, and Giants. The Jaguars are currently 23rd in total defense.

thanks for pointing those stats out.

the point i was trying to make, though, is more about the decline of the jags defense than how they stack up against the skins d
Old 11-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
#56fanatic
The Starter

I think these comments are a bit....no wait way off base. GW was a great D coordinator for the Skins. IF it was for the way the defense played in 05 and 07, we would NOT have made the playoffs. He had our D in the top 10 every year and believe top 3 once and top 5 another (not sure about that) To say Blache is the better of the two i think is ridiculous. GW is with a roster that he inherited, with the skins he helped build it with players that he needed to be successful. (arch we'll forget about!!) I also believe that as the season goes on, and next season his defense will be a ton better. They have to adjust to his scheme and play on instinct and reaction, not having to think. Lets back off the "who's better" comments.

Plus, Blache is running basically the same scheme GW put in place.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
birdz4gibbs
Special Teams

for the most part greg blache has been a smooth transition and has done very well to this point in the season..gregg on the other has done a solid job just about every he has gone and it will take the jags time in his system and once they do they will be fine...

kudos to greg blache thus far..
Old 11-06-2008, 05:43 PM   #9
SouperMeister
Playmaker

They are both great coordinators. Gregg Williams' defense kept the Skins in games when the Gibbs/Saunders offense was sputtering. The transition to Blache has been smooth, and might get a whole lot better if he ever gets a healthy Jason Taylor.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:15 AM   #10
bedlamVR
Special Teams

I think the ones talking up Williams are being a little disingenuous because I know if the Jags defense was No4 and we were 23rd there would be a thread just like this saying, perhaps with more burning pitchforks, about what a mistake it was to let him walk, calling for everyone's head and Danny must sell the team right NOW . The same with Saunders but look at the mess the Rams are right now .

People also seem to have forgotten 2006 ... just saying
bedlamVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:02 AM   #11
Miller101
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post

And don't forget about the offenses we had to play against! At one time we played the second, third, fourth, and sixth offenses in a row.

I won't forget that Philly game. They had Westbrooke playing, who always kills us, and we broke his ribs! Knocked him out of the game and then...........they didn't do crap against us! We were able to come back from a 14 point hole we dug ourselves into!!!

This defense would be number one if we started off the season with an easy schedule......like one the Giants started off with.
"And the Redskins went down there and manhandled them and they basically undressed them and now everybody's been lining up to get a piece of them." - John Riggins on the last game we played in Texas Stadium
Miller101 is offline   Reply With Quote