Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Update: Wizards Keep Jamison, Arenas

Other Sports

Old 06-30-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Update: Wizards Keep Jamison, Arenas

Forward Antawn Jamison was kept off the free-agent market with a four-year extension worth $50 million. The deal comes before Jamison was to become an unrestricted free agent.

ESPN - Wizards hang on to Jamison with 4-year, $50 million extension - NBA

Advertisements
Old 07-01-2008, 07:06 AM   #2
KLHJ2
Inactive

re: Update: Wizards Keep Jamison, Arenas

I friggin hope so. The reason Arenas wanted to leave is because Jamison wasnt going to be around. If Arenas doesn't come back it is going to be another decade of me not following basketball.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
SeanTaylor21
Special Teams

Arenas pondering offers, will talk to Abe Pollin - Wizards Insider

The Wizards offered Arenas a maximum level contract, one that would pay the three-time all-star around $124 million over six years. According to my sources, the offer came shortly after the Golden State Warriors aggressively jumped out and offered Arenas a five-year deal worth just over $100.

Looks like the Warriors really want Gil maybe that means they will let Baron Davis go.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6...rmationgg7.jpg

http://www.thehogs.net/sean-taylor/burgundy_heart.jpg
SeanTaylor21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:33 AM   #4
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Davis has already declared himself a free agent. He's not likely to come back to Golden State
Old 07-01-2008, 10:34 AM   #5
jsarno
Franchise Player

Holy crap...what have these guys done to deserve the money?
Good luck finding other important players when you are overpaying for Jamison and especially Arenas.

I think it's good for the Wizards to get these players back, but for the money I certainly would not pay Arenas what he is rumored to get. No way, no how. He is likely the most overrated player in the DC area. (the rest of the country doesn't think as highly of him as the DC area does).

ps- keep in mind, I am not saying Arenas is a piece of poo, just saying he's not worth it. He's a good player that should be laughing all the way to the bank.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #6
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

An Arenas for Davis "swap" is possible I suppose. I love Arenas but wouldn't be terribly upset if he took $100 million elsewhere. On a separate but related note, what did everyone think of the Wizards' draft? I thought it was awful. I don't understand what they're trying to accomplish by adding yet another raw big man.

As for the money, don't hate the players hate the market
Old 07-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
On a separate but related note, what did everyone think of the Wizards' draft? I thought it was awful. I don't understand what they're trying to accomplish by adding yet another raw big man.
I agree, it was very dissappointing. One of the ESPN.com writers, Chad Ford I believe, said that McGee reminded him of Andre Blatche and he certainly didn't mean it as a compliment. For both guys, all the potential is there but they still seem so far away. I mean, I do think we need more productive big men, but we need them for defense and rebounding. Hopefully McGee can use his 7'6" reach to block a ton of shots, but I have

I would have been much happier with Hickson or Arthur, but I still really wish that either Lopez or Hibbert fell to us.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:19 AM   #8
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Well apparently they wanted Hibbert and of course they didn't get him. I don't even know if I would have liked that move. Love Hibbert but the Wizards have Haywood and Etan, not to mention Blatche, Pecherove, and that other Russian guy. What the wizards need, regardless of whether they sign Agent Zero, is a young point guard that can run the offense without needing to take 20+ shots. Antonio Daniels is very solid, but they need to get younger there.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:02 PM   #9
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
An Arenas for Davis "swap" is possible I suppose. I love Arenas but wouldn't be terribly upset if he took $100 million elsewhere. On a separate but related note, what did everyone think of the Wizards' draft? I thought it was awful. I don't understand what they're trying to accomplish by adding yet another raw big man.

As for the money, don't hate the players hate the market
What people aren't understanding that the two players you are signing (Jamison and Arenas) can't shoot for crap! Jamison (who, correct me if I am wrong is a PF) has one of the worst PF fg% in all the league at .436% last year. But he is a versitale "big man", so I understand signing him. Arenas on the other hand played in only 13 games (started only 8), and had a .398 fg%, and his career fg% is only .427%. This is a classic case of looking at only his points per game average the last two years and going nutts. You say it's the market, well, if that's the case, the market is pretty damned stupid. He's not worth it, and if the Wizards were smart, they would let him go and sign someone for A LOT less. You could get Davis cheaper, and he's a lot less selfish and creates more opportunities for his teammates. He has a similar fg%, but he's better from 3, and a much better defender.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:05 PM   #10
jsarno
Franchise Player

Oh yeah, and if you're going to keep both those guys who can't hit the ocean if they were standing in the middle of it, then at least go sign some players that specialize in offensive rebounds.
Great offense is only great if they are effecient.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:10 PM   #11
That Guy
Living Legend

too much haterade...
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #12
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
too much haterade...
LOL.
Well, to me, I look at your team as one that is almost there. You have had 41-45 wins in EACH of the past 4 seasons, but what are you doing to take it to the next level?
You are about to enter into some serious salary cap issues that you won't be able to get rid of.
The Celtics had this problem for years too, and up until this season overspent for people that couldn't help them. If you go down this road with Arenas, you need to be CERTAIN he can lead you to the promised land. You live and die by him.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:20 PM   #13
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
LOL.
Well, to me, I look at your team as one that is almost there. You have had 41-45 wins in EACH of the past 4 seasons, but what are you doing to take it to the next level?
You're right. I wish another GM would trade us a former MVP for pennies on the dollar, but that never happens. Oh, wait...
Old 07-01-2008, 12:20 PM   #14
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
What people aren't understanding that the two players you are signing (Jamison and Arenas) can't shoot for crap! Jamison (who, correct me if I am wrong is a PF) has one of the worst PF fg% in all the league at .436% last year. But he is a versitale "big man", so I understand signing him. Arenas on the other hand played in only 13 games (started only 8), and had a .398 fg%, and his career fg% is only .427%. This is a classic case of looking at only his points per game average the last two years and going nutts. You say it's the market, well, if that's the case, the market is pretty damned stupid. He's not worth it, and if the Wizards were smart, they would let him go and sign someone for A LOT less. You could get Davis cheaper, and he's a lot less selfish and creates more opportunities for his teammates. He has a similar fg%, but he's better from 3, and a much better defender.
Arenas is also three years younger (if not more) than Davis, and since when is Davis the better 3 point shooter?
Old 07-01-2008, 12:51 PM   #15
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Arenas is also three years younger (if not more) than Davis, and since when is Davis the better 3 point shooter?
Arenas will be 27 in January, at that same time, Davis will be 29. About a 2.5 year difference in age.
About the 3 point shooting, you are right. Arenas just had a worse year albeit an injury shortened season.

So are you saying Davis is too old? I think their ages are non factors.

ps- if Davis wants 100+ mil over 6 years, I think that's too much for him too. The whole point of my conversation here is to say that Arenas is wanting too much, even for the market. You already have a poor shooter on your team (jamison), well actually two, (stevenson .386%), you can't afford to have your two best players BOTH suck from the field, and worse 3 out of 4 suck from the field.