Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

The Champions League: First Knockout Round

Other Sports

Old 03-12-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

The Champions League: First Knockout Round

Well from the last thread I learned that there's a decent amount of you that watch Soccer which is awesome, because I've been following it for around a year now, ever since a friend of mine started to get me to watch a few matches during the Copa de America. At the moment my favorite team is Arsenel, but I also support R. Madrid, Inter Milan, and Newcastle (Orioles complex).

Personally I love how the last batch of champions league matches were held at night since that meant that not only would they be broadcast on ESPN but they would also be shown at a decent hour as most matches in England start around 8 am on the weekends.

Anyway I figured that it would be worth it to start a Champions League thread in light of the fact that the first knockout round is over.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-12-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
Frost
Special Teams

Re: The Champions League: First Knockout Round

manchester united is gonna win it all, if not then Barcelona baby
Old 03-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #3
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
manchester united is gonna win it all, if not then Barcelona baby
Man this is what I hate about soccer. I only know so much that I can't reply to your Manchester declaration with an intelligent retort. Instead I have to respond with the typical bias "Manchester sucks."

I'm a total noob

Either way I don't like Manchester United mainly because everyone else seems to like them, which is ironic because at the moment I like R. Madrid who apparently have more supporters then anyone else in the world.

Mark my unfound words, THIS IS ARSENELS YEAR.

My friend that got me into futbol is an AC milan fan so it was funny asking him about the Arsenel/AC Milan match up, which went something like this.

Me: Hey did you catch the Arsenel vs AC Milan game?
Friend: I don't want to talk about it

Lol

Do you know when they're going to relese the matchups for the next round?

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #4
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

hell yea its arsenals year. Go Gunners, thats my team baby. Premier League and UEFA, only if we didnt get owned in FA.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:40 PM   #5
Frost
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Man this is what I hate about soccer. I only know so much that I can't reply to your Manchester declaration with an intelligent retort. Instead I have to respond with the typical bias "Manchester sucks."

I'm a total noob

Either way I don't like Manchester United mainly because everyone else seems to like them, which is ironic because at the moment I like R. Madrid who apparently have more supporters then anyone else in the world.

Mark my unfound words, THIS IS ARSENELS YEAR.

My friend that got me into futbol is an AC milan fan so it was funny asking him about the Arsenel/AC Milan match up, which went something like this.

Me: Hey did you catch the Arsenel vs AC Milan game?
Friend: I don't want to talk about it

Lol

Do you know when they're going to relese the matchups for the next round?
LOL i know what you mean, im european so when i first came here all i knew was soccer which i gotta point out i came here in 94 when there was no internet brodcast of football(soccer) games no goal tv etc.. so i had to watch american sports no other choice, i watched a bit of nfl games here and there and i was like wtf what is this shit, it sucks, you got breaks and timeouts every freakin 2 min, then i tried baseball i even went to a freakin orioles game,, maaaaaaaan the worse freakin sport ever, i'd rather watch golf even to this day than baseball, then i watched nba and i got into it hardcore im talking about back in the day when we had webber, howard, rod strickland etc.. but then around 2001 i started watching nfl games.. dont ask me why it guess it would have to do with some game where it was green bay vs i dont know who but i remember seeing favre play and how he acts especially when he scored a td and i was hooked, and of course started following the redskins and been loving it ever since, but im still a huge soccer fan, i even got the privilege of seeing real madrid play my hometown team Steaua(bucharest romania) in 2006 when i was in europe and thats when they had all the stars, beckham, roberto carlos, ronaldo etc.. but yea i know what you mean bfore i couldnt talk smak to cowboys fans because i didnt know shit but now its a diff story lol
Old 03-13-2008, 10:03 AM   #6
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Ever since Eric Cantona donned a Red Devils jersey have I been a Man U follower. They've looked pretty good this season, but with Arsenal starting to make their way back (looked like they were going to fall apart there for a while), it'll be a tough push to the end of the season.

As far as Champs League goes, it's up for grabs. Liverpool is built for European play, Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal are all playing great football. Roma knocking out Real Madrid was huge. Barca being completely dangerous themselves. The only teams that are questionable are Fenerbahce and Schalke, and both teams are capable of big time play. The draw will be interesting to see if any of the English sides will be paired up in the Quarterfinals.

One of my best friends from college is a huge Liverpool fan, so on the days we're both available, we get together for those matches. He's the one that really got me back into Soccer, especially Premier League soccer.

From what I've heard, Real/Barca matches attract more than 3 times the television viewership than the Super Bowl. And that's just for a regular season match...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
hooskins

Well if anyone is still watching, I am pissed about Arsenal. My team is tanking and we should have won but the fucking ref gave the worst call for a PK.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #8
Big C
Mr. Brightside

im as big of a soccer fan as i am an nfl fan its cool that some people here are picking it up. thought it was a penalty at first look, second look a little iffy, but ive seen those go both ways. imo arsenal will never win the champions league, never have in their history, and never will. they are always lacking that bit of class. i am a huge barcelona fan, have been since about 2002 when they were doing terribly, and i can even admit that manchester united are favorites. great team, i doubted them earlier in the year but they have become so strong and balanced. barcelona are having a bad year this year, very inconsistant id be very surprised to see them win it, but im holding out hope.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #9
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

We'll find out today who will join Chelsea and Liverpool in the Semis. Man U has a 2-0 lead in aggregate, while Barca has a 1-0 lead, and both play at home. I can't see either team not advancing.

Being a Man U mark, Ronaldo and Rooney are coming on strong at the right time, for both a Champs League push as well as a Premiership push. Should be interesting...especially since Barca is going to be missing a key player or 2 (Ronaldinho and Messi out 6 weeks).

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
Old 04-09-2008, 12:07 PM   #10
Big C
Mr. Brightside

ronaldinho is hardly a key player for barcleona anymore, he has likely played his last game in blaugrana
Old 04-09-2008, 01:57 PM   #11
hooskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
ronaldinho is hardly a key player for barcleona anymore, he has likely played his last game in blaugrana
Yea apparently he is fat and not getting chances due to his injury. There are rumors his agent is trying to get him out of his contract and I heard Man. City as a possibility.

Also henry was put on the market for 16mil pounds.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #12
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

SI.com - Soccer - Spanish press: Barcelona prepared to let Ronaldinho walk - Wednesday April 9, 2008 12:09PM
Looks like AC Milan, Chelsea and Man City are the top runners at this point, but at 28, he's long from retirement, and just about anyone will throw their hat into the race for him.

As far as Henry goes, he'll probably end up back in the Premiership somewhere. Rumored to be linked to Man City or Tottenham.

Then you have the Real Madrid rumor of £125 million for Cristiano Ronaldo, which if Man U wins the double this year, there is a slight possibility of this happening. However, that number might be low if he goes on the market.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:06 PM   #13
Big C
Mr. Brightside

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Yea apparently he is fat and not getting chances due to his injury. There are rumors his agent is trying to get him out of his contract and I heard Man. City as a possibility.

Also henry was put on the market for 16mil pounds.
ronnie is more likely going to inter or ac milan
Old 04-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #14
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
ronnie is more likely going to inter or ac milan
Looks like AC Milan

ESPNsoccernet - Europe - Ronaldinho agrees general terms with AC Milan
Old 04-14-2008, 01:27 PM   #15
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Good. Keep his ass out of England...