Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Opening Game Next Fall

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-02-2004, 11:51 AM   #1
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Opening Game Next Fall

When Joe Gibbs came back, lots of us hoped that the NFL would put the Skins and Cowboys on as the opening game of the year on Thursday night next fall. There would be lots of good story angles with Gibbs and Parcells on the sidelines.

What I've heard is that the NFL is not looking at that opportunity at all. At the moment, I understand that the prime contender for the opening game is in Chicago where the Bears would host - - probably - - the Eagles. One other possibility is a game at Lambeau Field with as yet unspecifieid NFC opponent for the Packers.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-02-2004, 11:58 AM   #2
BrunellFan
Special Teams

Bears and Eagles?? STINKER...

But I really dont want the Cowboys and Redskins to play on opening day. Opening day games mean very little in the long run. I want the teams to play when the Skins have started to gell and believe in Gibbs's system rather than a crazy opening night game.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:10 PM   #3
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

BrunellFan:

Believe me, I don't make this stuff up. This is what I heard from a friend who works for NFL Films.

If I were scheduling the opening game for the NFL, I think I'd wait until the Bears were good before putting them in a "spotlight game".
Old 03-02-2004, 12:17 PM   #4
beg8878
Special Teams

that seems a little bizarre for an opening game..I'll obviously take your word for it that it is what you heard...is there any significant reason for the bears?
beg8878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 12:29 PM   #5
MTK
\m/

Kinda surprising the Skins aren't being considered at all. Skins v Cowboys, Gibbs v Parcells, I don't know how you can ask for more from a season opener.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 12:32 PM   #6
beg8878
Special Teams

I would bet the house if we weren't on last year, there would be no question about it...we would be opening with dallass
beg8878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 12:49 PM   #7
ChounsMan
Special Teams

Exclamation

This has probably something to do with fair market sharing. :confused:

Regardless, the media will cover the games that matter.

If you ask me I think the Eagles take a nose dive this season.... Can't repeat what they've done 3 seasons in a row.....
Old 03-02-2004, 12:52 PM   #8
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

beg8878:

I think you hit this one on the head. My guess is that the league does not want to show the same team two years in a row on its national opening game.

On the other hand, the league NEVER wants to show a team like the Cardinals with 70% of the seats empty.

I don't know if Carolina and New England are scheduled next year - and I'm too lazy at the moment to go and check it out - but if they are scheduled to meet in 2004, I'd put that "re-run" of the Super Bowl on for my opening game. But I don't run the NFL...
Old 03-02-2004, 01:01 PM   #9
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I wouldnt be suprised to see us in the Monday or Sunday night game that week. I would defintly think we would play the cowboys just cause its such a marketable game, without worrying about if one of hte teams falls off the map. In addition, I think that could be a reason that the bears are considered for this game, cause you know everyone will watch and it givs them a chance to be on tv.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 07:51 PM   #10
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I wouldn't be suprised if they didn't show the first skins dallas game till Thanksgiving. Well, maybe the second one. Let Gibbs settle in. The first game of the year could really have both teams being shaky, I think they want the matchup in it's prime. I think offseason moves for the boys will mean a lot.

With their opponents that #1 defense meant shit. The teams in the first half of their schedule had a combined .3 win percentage or something unreal.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:06 PM   #11
azskinsfan2
Special Teams

Hopefully they will wait until we've had a few games under our belts and everyone is clicking. Maybe a Monday night or Thursday night game. I don't think they'll wait until Thanksgiving though. They might make our second meeting the last game of the regular season though.

Sportscurmudgeon said:
Quote:
On the other hand, the league NEVER wants to show a team like the Cardinals with 70% of the seats empty.
It all depends on who the Cards are playing. Last season the Packers were a near sellout (Cards won). Two years ago the Skins game was a near sellout and the Cowboys games there are always a near sellout.
The Bengals game had about 24 thou as did the Seahawks. The Cards don't have that many die hard fans, but some of their opposing teams do.
I can't wait for the Skins to return here next year, I'll sure as hell be there!!!
Old 03-03-2004, 11:21 AM   #12
IowaSkinsFan
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon
When Joe Gibbs came back, lots of us hoped that the NFL would put the Skins and Cowboys on as the opening game of the year on Thursday night next fall. There would be lots of good story angles with Gibbs and Parcells on the sidelines.

What I've heard is that the NFL is not looking at that opportunity at all. At the moment, I understand that the prime contender for the opening game is in Chicago where the Bears would host - - probably - - the Eagles. One other possibility is a game at Lambeau Field with as yet unspecifieid NFC opponent for the Packers.
Actually, there are a list of teams the Bears might open up against on Thursday night, including the Redskins!

Source
IowaSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote