Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Who here wears glasses?

Parking Lot

Old 02-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Who here wears glasses?

I ask this because I'm "breaking in" my new prescription glasses and I've been having a really hard time adjusting, and I'm not sure if it's because of my unique circumstances (this is the first time I've got glasses with a new prescription in 4+ years) or if something's actually wrong with the glasses themselves.

I had an eye exam done two weeks ago before I purchased the pair, and I just received them Wednesday night. Immediately upon wearing them, I noticed that the fog-like effect of wearing my old glasses disappeared, and "the big picture" went from (in tv terms) 420p to 1080p.

But the problem is ever since I started wearing them 2 days ago, I've had to strain my eyes to really see clearly. If I relax my eyes, it's like being cross-eyed because I see two pictures of everything. I'm also having major trouble distinguishing a clear picture of anything electronic from a distance of about 8 feet, give or take (even with my old glasses I could still see my digital alarm clock from across the room, or read the description of whatever show I was watching on tv, but with these I can't.). Even sitting here, typing this, with my face about a foot from the laptop screen, if I relax my eyes the entire screen becomes blurry.

I'm also having problems with minor headaches as a result of having to focus my eyes all day in order to see clearly. I definitely think something's wrong with the glasses at this point, so I'm probably going to go back to my eye dr. tomorrow morning to see what the deal is, but the only reason I haven't gone back so far is because my eye dr. said there is a normal adjustment period when getting used to new prescription glasses, especially when you go so long between prescriptions.

So all I'm asking right now is if anyone has had a similar experience while breaking in new glasses (under similar circumstances preferably), or if this is too abnormal to be ignored. Note when I say ignored I would probably give it a couple more days at best for things to work out before I genuinely get concerned and go back there. But I don't want to waste my time if this is just something normal.

Advertisements
Old 02-17-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Who here wears glasses?

just wear the beer goggles every now and then

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
MTK
\m/

I'd give them a week, if they're still bothering you check back with your eye doctor.

Sounds like you've gone a really long time between a Rx update.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

My Dad does after having 20/10 vision for most of his life. My younger brother recently got them.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

I've worn glasses since I was 5 and I just turned 23 today and got my newest pair last year after 6 years with my old ones and I had no problem adjusting. The brain does take 3 days to adjust so that might be it.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:37 AM   #6
GMScud
Swearinger

Happy B-Day Quake...

2012 marks the 20th anniversary of me getting glasses/contacts. I've dealt with them every day since the summer of 1992. My mom new it was time to take me to the eye doctor, because we were at an Orioles game in Baltimore, and I couldn't read Cal Ripken's batting avg on the outfield scoreboard from seats on the 3rd baseline area.

Anyway, I've had several prescription changes since then (at age 33, I've leveled out and haven't had a change in over 5 years), and I've never had the kind of issues you're having.

I'm getting lasik done this year. I'm so tired of dealing with vision stuff.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:57 AM   #7
los panda
Pro Bowl

i wear glasses when i drive. i had 20/20 until my early 20s. california is so jacked up, i had to use my glasses to pass the vision test for my license but i am not required to wear them when i drive. i'm on my 2nd prescription. i have never experienced any discomfort like that. say your prayers
Old 02-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I'd give them a week, if they're still bothering you check back with your eye doctor.

Sounds like you've gone a really long time between a Rx update.
Yeah the whole 4+ years thing is a guesstimate. It's been about 6 years between visits I think. I do feel like they are progressing but I don't think I should be cross eyed when I relax my eyes. I'm going to give them a couple more days to come around but I've never had this hard a time getting adjusted to them before.

@quake: happy birthday man! I'm in the same boat here, I've had glasses/contacts since I was five and I'm turning 24 in June. Sounds like you went a long time between a new pair too. Like I said I'll give them a couple more days but im not hopeful at this point.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
MTK
\m/

On 2nd thought if you're having that many problems, you might want to get them checked out sooner.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
Schneed10
A Dude

Yeah I gotta say that sounds abnormal. You should not be seeing double. The whole point of the lens is to refract the light so your eye can focus in a more relaxed state, if your eyes are having to work hard (and thus feeling strained) then it's quite likely that they messed up the Rx.

Maybe they didn't but you should at least get it looked at.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Happy B-Day Quake...

2012 marks the 20th anniversary of me getting glasses/contacts. I've dealt with them every day since the summer of 1992. My mom new it was time to take me to the eye doctor, because we were at an Orioles game in Baltimore, and I couldn't read Cal Ripken's batting avg on the outfield scoreboard from seats on the 3rd baseline area.

Anyway, I've had several prescription changes since then (at age 33, I've leveled out and haven't had a change in over 5 years), and I've never had the kind of issues you're having.

I'm getting lasik done this year. I'm so tired of dealing with vision stuff.
I've been thinking of going the lasik route too. You'll have to let me know how that goes.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Should not be happening. After the first couple days of "pain" from getting used to the glasses, wearing glass should be as simple as "put them on, see better".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I've been thinking of going the lasik route too. You'll have to let me know how that goes.
I would suggest consulting with an expert on picking out which of the eye treatments are right for you, since there are a variety of techniques available.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #14
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
I can't wait acutally. And after a few years it will pay for itself given the cost of glasses/contacts/solutions/drops etc.

A close friend of mine had it done a few months ago, and he won't shut up about how great it is. My dad also had it done, and went from having absolutely awful vision to 20/15. I'm aiming for late June/early July.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #15
BuckSkin
Special Teams

Just a crazy idea here, I'm not a Dr. nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express. Set your glasses on your nose backwards or upside down, I have a feeling the tech reversed each lens Rx.