Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The Shanaplan Gets Accelerated

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

The Shanaplan Gets Accelerated

After the 2010 debacle that was McNabb/Haynesworth, etc. it was pretty clear that the Shanahan era was going to be a longer evolution. Last offseason was primarily built around remaking the defense to be younger, faster and stronger while trying to get by on offense with minor improvements thru the draft. Now however we are going to see what the team has at key offensive positions..

QB-Beck has basically 3/4 of a season to determine his future as a Redskin and our decision in the 1st round of the 2012 draft. Best case is that he develops into a slightly above average QB that's capable of putting up good numbers and leading the team to a some wins (a la Matt Schaub) or he becomes a career backup, maybe holding the position for 2012 while a rookie learns behind him.

RB-I'm somewhat surprised that Royster wasn't added from the PS with Hightower going down but I think Tim may have been one and done anyways as a Redskin. Now, Torrain and Helu will get more time and we can either see if they are a legit one two punch or if either of them distinguishes himself as the feature back.

WR-While Moss signed a 3 year deal when the lockout ended, he may have one more year after this one as a serviceable WR. With his injury and the continued mediocrity of Armstrong & Stallworth, Niles Paul and Hankerson have a chance to make an impact and show an indication if they can be reliable options in the passing game. Come week 12-17, if they are not active and in the rotation on a consistent basis, that's cause for concern.

OL-I don't think Erik Cook was ever supposed to be more than a depth player but with him being the starting center for the foreseeable future, Shanny and Forester can determine if he is a quality backup, potential starter or just someone else on the 53.

I am by no means throwing in the towel and saying 'play the kids' but by circumstance we should have a much better read on the near term future state of our team in the coming weeks and months.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: The Shanaplan Gets Accelerated

Blessing in disguise. This is a good thing due to bad circumstances.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
After the 2010 debacle that was McNabb/Haynesworth, etc. it was pretty clear that the Shanahan era was going to be a longer evolution. Last offseason was primarily built around remaking the defense to be younger, faster and stronger while trying to get by on offense with minor improvements thru the draft. Now however we are going to see what the team has at key offensive positions..

QB-Beck has basically 3/4 of a season to determine his future as a Redskin and our decision in the 1st round of the 2012 draft. Best case is that he develops into a slightly above average QB that's capable of putting up good numbers and leading the team to a some wins (a la Matt Schaub) or he becomes a career backup, maybe holding the position for 2012 while a rookie learns behind him.

RB-I'm somewhat surprised that Royster wasn't added from the PS with Hightower going down but I think Tim may have been one and done anyways as a Redskin. Now, Torrain and Helu will get more time and we can either see if they are a legit one two punch or if either of them distinguishes himself as the feature back.

WR-While Moss signed a 3 year deal when the lockout ended, he may have one more year after this one as a serviceable WR. With his injury and the continued mediocrity of Armstrong & Stallworth, Niles Paul and Hankerson have a chance to make an impact and show an indication if they can be reliable options in the passing game. Come week 12-17, if they are not active and in the rotation on a consistent basis, that's cause for concern.

OL-I don't think Erik Cook was ever supposed to be more than a depth player but with him being the starting center for the foreseeable future, Shanny and Forester can determine if he is a quality backup, potential starter or just someone else on the 53.

I am by no means throwing in the towel and saying 'play the kids' but by circumstance we should have a much better read on the near term future state of our team in the coming weeks and months.
QB-With all the talk about "play the kids" I'm supprised people seem to still want Beck, a 30 y/o QB who's 1st game was no more or no less impressive then the 31 y/o Grossman. I'm starting the chant for Crompton. Maybe after 3 more games which turn out the same Beck can be benched for the QB on the PS who's only 24 y/o. He's our future.

RB-Yeah I don't know why they didn't promote Royster. I guess they figured between Torain, Hulu, Youg (FB), Seller (FB), Davis (TE), Paulson (TE), and maybe Banks they have enough runners. The team needs to start using Banks in the screen passes. Maybe one good run and the defense will have to account for him on the field.

WR-I hate to say it but Moss was our only WR who could be trusted to make the catch. Yet even he had a ball he tipped for an interception. What WR do we have that makes other teams scared? AA, Stallworth, Gaffney? They are not catching any deep balls. Austin and Paul need to step up big and make a deep catch. Make the defense spread out.

OL-The new guys played admirably last week. I think they did pretty good holding their own. Maybe they get better over the season and become quite a suprise.

DL-Needs to get a pass rush going again.

LB-Need to stay in their lanes to stop the run.

CB-Wow if there was ever a position that needs to prove itself this week.

S-Keep Barnes out of the safety position. I don't recall anytime where he broke up a play or hit a WR. I thought he was playing two hand touch football.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

The Redskins wouldn't be the first team to have extreme pressure create a few diamonds. Step up, let's go!

HTTR!
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Not sure why you think TH is one and done with the Redskins. He's by far the best back we've got (or until Helu develops). It's night and day when he is in the game compared to Torrain.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
GridIron26
Playmaker

^ Me neither.. We definitely need to resign Hightower, we need to have RB who can do blocking for passing plays; Hightower not only does that but he also punishes LBs and DBs for blitzing. What can be better than that?
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
^ Me neither.. We definitely need to resign Hightower, we need to have RB who can do blocking for passing plays; Hightower not only does that but he also punishes LBs and DBs for blitzing. What can be better than that?

You guys keep talking about the healthy TH, he won't be the same after this injury, I doubt the Skins stick it out with him.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

SBXVII pm me your address so I can send you your official I LOVE BECK T-shirt LOL
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
You guys keep talking about the healthy TH, he won't be the same after this injury, I doubt the Skins stick it out with him.
He's still young enough where he can make it back, if not here then definitely somewhere else. I wouldn't write him off.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #10
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

The good thing about TH getting hurt so early this season is that he has plenty of rehab time before 2012.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
irish
Playmaker

This team is still a long way from being consistently good but I do think Shanny has them on the right track to get there. This team has been over a decade in its destruction so its unrealistic to expect this mess can be fixed in a couple of years.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #12
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
QB-With all the talk about "play the kids" I'm supprised people seem to still want Beck, a 30 y/o QB who's 1st game was no more or no less impressive then the 31 y/o Grossman. I'm starting the chant for Crompton. Maybe after 3 more games which turn out the same Beck can be benched for the QB on the PS who's only 24 y/o. He's our future.
I'm with you. Part of me wants to play Crompton NOW, but that would be foolhardy. If Beck doesn't start clicking in the next few weeks, though...
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Torn ACL's take time to heal and fully recover from. Many backs are never the same. My take on TH is that he comes back next year at a bargain price. If Helu takes over as starter, TH would probably be great as a 3rd down, generic back up. If Helu doesn't take over, not sure a recovering TH (acknowledging Lotus' point that he will have had extended recovery time) is the answer at RB.

If Helu does not live up to expectations, I think we add RB to the list of needs b/c, even if he returns, I don't think TH will be in a position to be a starter. With that said, I like the guy and hope he makes a full recovery.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #14
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
SBXVII pm me your address so I can send you your official I LOVE BECK T-shirt LOL
LOL. AWESOME!

I (heart) Beck.

How come no one has stepped up with a Beck logo? There was "Pineapple Jesus", "Sexy Rexy" logo with him passing the pig skin.

No Beck? WTF?
Old 10-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #15
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I'm with you. Part of me wants to play Crompton NOW, but that would be foolhardy. If Beck doesn't start clicking in the next few weeks, though...
Now, now.... I'm atleast a gentleman. Grossman got 4 games this year, Beck should be given the same amount of games. If nothing seems to change (as I expect it not to) then I'd make the change to Crompton for atleast 4 games to see if he's worth keeping next year or not.