Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Make your Case for non-HOFer

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
skinster
Impact Rookie

Make your Case for non-HOFer

Make your case for somebody you think should make the hall of fame, but the odds are very good that they won't.

I say my pick is Tiki Barber. He only started seven seasons in his career. Over a one year span, he ranks 3rd all time in yards from scrimmage behind Marshall Faulk and Chris Johnson. Over a three year span he ranks 2nd all time in yards from scrimmage only behind Marshall Faulk. Over a seven year span he ranks 2nd all time in yards from scrimmage only behind Ladanian Tomlinson. Over total games started, he has the highest yards from scrimmage average out of any nfl player of all time (with a minimum of a full season starting).

I don't care about negatives about you, when the total yards you produce from scrimmage is the best of all time over your starting career, and over a seven year period is the 2nd best of all time, I say you deserve the HOF.

Too bad he retired early, fumbled alot, and pissed off too many people with dumb comments.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
Darrell_Green_28
The Starter

Re: Make your Case for non-HOFer

I'll probably get bashed for this. I say Sean Taylor, if it had not been for his tragic death, who knows how far he would have gone..
Some say other players should get it but they retired too early, that was their choice.
Sean did't have a choice.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Pete Rose. Best hitter of all time.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell_Green_28 View Post
I'll probably get bashed for this. I say Sean Taylor, if it had not been for his tragic death, who knows how far he would have gone..
Some say other players should get it but they retired too early, that was their choice.
I want to like this line of thinking, but what would you do with guys where injury cut their careers short? That kind of falls into the same category as not having a choice on continuing.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Gary Clark ole #84. Clark has the yards and the high number of TD receptions. But he doesn't have the number of receptions. In my opinion, he should be in the Pro Football Hall Of Fame and I'm not saying this because I'm a Redskins fan. I'm saying this because Clark deserves to be a Hall Of Famer.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Brian Mitchell.. All purpose yards leader for a long time (maybe still).. Record holder for return touchdowns.. 2 time SB champion..

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
Leader In Sports
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Gary Clark ole #84. Clark has the yards and the high number of TD receptions. But he doesn't have the number of receptions. In my opinion, he should be in the Pro Football Hall Of Fame and I'm not saying this because I'm a Redskins fan. I'm saying this because Clark deserves to be a Hall Of Famer.
I am saying this without bothering to double check what I have been told - so someone is welcome to correct me. Aren't Gary Clark's numbers better in every significant category than Michael Irvin?
Leader In Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader In Sports View Post
I am saying this without bothering to double check what I have been told - so someone is welcome to correct me. Aren't Gary Clark's numbers better in every significant category than Michael Irvin?
Actually.....no. I believe MI is 13 kilos and 162 hookers in the lead.....
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Steve Tasker
Old 04-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
Meks
Pro Bowl

Fck Michael Irvin.

Barry sanders?
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meks View Post
Fck Michael Irvin.

Barry sanders?
Isn't Barry in?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #12
skinster
Impact Rookie

Donovan McNabb inspired this thread. He might be wrong about him being deserving of being in the HOF, but his comment about how aikman and kelly weren't statistically great made me check it out. He's def right about that. How aikman made one, much less 6 pro bowls is a joke to me. In Aikman's "pro bowl" years, his touchdown passes per season were 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, and 21(his career high)...and its not like he wasn't throwing picks as he had a 8:7 td to int ratio over course of his career. Lavaar didn't end his career...his 7:14 int to td ratio his final season did.

Does the fact that he was a qb of 3 superbowl teams make him eligible for the hall of fame? Maybe, but its debatable. I'd probably vote him in, but not compare him to any other qb trying to make it in that hasn't won 3 superbowls. Aikman didn't make it in the HOF cause of his numbers, and Marino didn't make him in because of his wins. For Donovan is right in saying he was better than Aikman, but to he has to realize that Aikman didn't make it in because he was good; he made it in because of his circumstances, and its just unfair for Donovan to compare himself to him. And his numbers aren't even in the same league as Marino's.

Donovan might not being snubbed, but being on a good team does inflate players statuses too much, and I'm sure there are tons of undeserving players in the HOF, while there are tons of deserving players not in there.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #13
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Brian Mitchell.. All purpose yards leader for a long time (maybe still).. Record holder for return touchdowns.. 2 time SB champion..
You could make a case for him (but Jerry rice broke his record one season after he got it, and devin hester has more punt return tds and more kick return tds). I'd say no to him though as being a good return man isn't that relevant. You think if Chris Johnson returned kicks for a living he'd be pretty good at it? I do. But he doesn't because his talents are more useful elsewhere and the its not important enough for him to do as the wear and tear he would get isn't worth the improved results he would produce. I really hate how coaches always say how special teams is important. Really? Then put your star players on special teams. Its really only important not to be terrible at it is what they should say.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #14
imaskin4life
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell_Green_28 View Post
Speed, hands, size, hitter, ballhawk: GOAT. period.
imaskin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #15
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
You could make a case for him (but Jerry rice broke his record one season after he got it, and devin hester has more punt return tds and more kick return tds). I'd say no to him though as being a good return man isn't that relevant. You think if Chris Johnson returned kicks for a living he'd be pretty good at it? I do. But he doesn't because his talents are more useful elsewhere and the its not important enough for him to do as the wear and tear he would get isn't worth the improved results he would produce. I really hate how coaches always say how special teams is important. Really? Then put your star players on special teams. Its really only important not to be terrible at it is what they should say.
Plenty of "stars" play on special teams. Deion was one of the best return men. Darrell Green retuned punts in big situations. Percy Harvin, Desean Jackson, Dez Bryant, all play teams to name a few.