Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Watched Joe Gibbs first victory today,some observations

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Watched Joe Gibbs first victory today,some observations

Got some old games in the mail,watched 1 last nite and 1 today.Its cool checking out these old games and seeing things Ive forgotten.These are some random observations I found interesting.As most of us old timers know skins started 0-5 under Gibbs,he gets his first victory at Soldier field in this game,the yr is 1981.What I didnt remember was going into that game we were #1 in NFL in offense and defense! Theisman was leading the NFL in passing! So why were we 0-5? We also led the league in turnovers and penalties,thats why.
Here are some random notes I took I found interesting
In game prior,Theisman was pulled for the rookie Tom Flick,ever heard of him? lol
In 1st qtr Theisman completes pass to Richard Caster,forgot about him being a skin,I remember him as a Jet.Caster beats Jeff Fisher on the play,yes that Jeff Fisher who is also the bears punt returner
Gibbs starts game in 2 back formation with Joe Washington getting most carries and Riggins blocking
Lil Joe gets almost all carries 1st half with Gibbs switching to 1 back formation in 2nd qtr with Joe W getting all the carries in that formation which was kinda surprising to me.
Joe Jacoby,a rookie,starts for the injured George Starke.Later in 4th qtr Jacoby suffers what looks like is terrible spinal cord injury,both teams crowd around him very concerned,he's carted off on stretcher.Game was stopped for at least 5 minutes
Vince Evans starts for da bears.He suffers what had to be his worst game as a pro.He throws 4 first half ints and should have had a 5th in 3rd that was dropped.Mercifly he's knocked out of game in 4th by ferocious skins blitz.Evans finishes 8-37 131 yards and 4 ints.
Right before half Evans is picked off by DAVE BUTZ! who rumbles 25 yards and tackled just shy of goal line,big man looked good running too,he had some pretty good wheels for a big dude.
Riggins finally gets back in game after Butz int and scores the td from the 1.
Start of 3rd Gibbs opens up with 2 back formation again with Lil Joe and Riggins.Lil Joe gets most carries in 3rd with Riggins blocking.
VD hotline in Chicago is 744-8500,LMAO{that was in a commercial}
Skins are up 17-0 in 4th when Gibbs finally goes to Riggins.14 play 4th qtr drive with Riggins dominating,Lil Joe only gets 2 carries on drive and Riggins gets the rest.Riggins finishes off drive with 2 yrd td run
Final rushing totals Riggins 23-126 yards Lil Joe 21-88 yards
Final observation is from car commercials,cant believe gas mileage in cars has really not improved with technology.Datsun had a commercial for a b210 that got 45 mpg.Cadillac of all people had a commercial for their cars with a diesel engine getting 35mpg

Advertisements
Old 02-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Re: Watched Joe Gibbs first victory today,some observations

Wrong forum but cool
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Wrong forum but cool
I thought i'd put it in this froum because its not really football news
Old 02-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Also watched skins cowboys game from 79.Pardee was coach then,running 2 back system with riggins and Benny Malone,who was awful.Im surprised how well we competed that yr,our wr corp was pitiful,Danny Buggs and 2 white guys I dont remember.
We whipped Dallas pretty good,we were up 31-14 in 4th,Landry pulled Staubach with about 4 minutes left and stuck in Danny White,I think it was more to protect Roger.
Theisman is joking on the sideline with our backup qb,Kim McQuilken,whos warming up to take over for Theisman,but Danny White throws a hail mary and Dallas gets a pass interference call that was horrible and Dallas scores so pardee sticks with Theisman to finish game and poor McQuilken doesnt get to go in.
Our defense was outstanding and stuffing dorsett,Coy Bacon had monster game with 3 sacks.Bacon sacks White on 4th down with about 30 seconds left.Were in fg range and Pardee sends Mosely in to add the 3 points.We needed those 3 points and a couple more,tiebreaker at end of season killed us.After this game,Philly,Dallas and Skins are all tied with 8-4 record
Riggins was so dissapointed at the end of this season with the way it ended,that was a major factor in him sitting out the next year
Old 02-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

The December 16, 1979 season finale between the arch-rival Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins at Texas Stadium had postseason ramifications for both teams. Both had 10-5 records, but due to the convoluted nature of the NFL’s tiebreaker system, the Cowboys were assured a playoff spot whatever the result, while Washington would clinch the NFC East title with a win but could conceivably be denied a playoff spot with a defeat.The win gave Dallas the division title with an 11-5 record (the Cowboys went on to lose to the Rams in the Divisional playoff round). Philadelphia, also 11-5, placed second and grabbed the first wild card spot due to having a lesser record in conference games than Dallas. Washington was third at 10-6, but lost out on being the second wild card team because the Chicago Bears, also 10-6, had beaten the Cardinals 42-6, thus beating out the Redskins on the point differential tiebreaker.

“It's a shame someone had to lose, because the Redskins played their guts out, but so did we,” said Staubach. “The Redskins played well enough to be in the playoffs. They deserved a better fate.” Staubach also called the game “the most exciting I’ve ever played in” which, in his case, was certainly high praise.

“There we were, divisional champions with 40 seconds to play, then nothing. I'm just heartbroken. Not just for myself but for the players,” said Jack Pardee afterward.

While no one knew at the time, it was the last regular season game for Roger Staubach, who retired during the offseason. In his final year, he led the NFL in passing (92.3 rating) while throwing for 3586 yards and 27 touchdowns (one behind the league co-leaders). His next stop would be the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

This game and season still haunts my memories till this day,so Im sure it bothers a lot of the skins players.The thing that really pissed me off was how the cardinals laid down for the bears which caused us to lose the tiebreaker,I mean they absolutely put the hammer to us.They sit Jim hart and started this fking rookie who sucked and was never heard from again,he finshed 5-28 for 65 yards and 2 ints and bears scored 42 points to barely edge us out in the tiebreaker
Old 02-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

We can put this in the locker room.

There used to be some video of this on YouTube. But not no more

But there's this

Old 02-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
Got some old games in the mail,watched 1 last nite and 1 today.Its cool checking out these old games and seeing things Ive forgotten.These are some random observations I found interesting.As most of us old timers know skins started 0-5 under Gibbs,he gets his first victory at Soldier field in this game,the yr is 1981.What I didnt remember was going into that game we were #1 in NFL in offense and defense! Theisman was leading the NFL in passing! So why were we 0-5? We also led the league in turnovers and penalties,thats why.
Here are some random notes I took I found interesting
In game prior,Theisman was pulled for the rookie Tom Flick,ever heard of him? lol
In 1st qtr Theisman completes pass to Richard Caster,forgot about him being a skin,I remember him as a Jet.Caster beats Jeff Fisher on the play,yes that Jeff Fisher who is also the bears punt returner
Gibbs starts game in 2 back formation with Joe Washington getting most carries and Riggins blocking
Lil Joe gets almost all carries 1st half with Gibbs switching to 1 back formation in 2nd qtr with Joe W getting all the carries in that formation which was kinda surprising to me.
Joe Jacoby,a rookie,starts for the injured George Starke.Later in 4th qtr Jacoby suffers what looks like is terrible spinal cord injury,both teams crowd around him very concerned,he's carted off on stretcher.Game was stopped for at least 5 minutes
Vince Evans starts for da bears.He suffers what had to be his worst game as a pro.He throws 4 first half ints and should have had a 5th in 3rd that was dropped.Mercifly he's knocked out of game in 4th by ferocious skins blitz.Evans finishes 8-37 131 yards and 4 ints.
Right before half Evans is picked off by DAVE BUTZ! who rumbles 25 yards and tackled just shy of goal line,big man looked good running too,he had some pretty good wheels for a big dude.
Riggins finally gets back in game after Butz int and scores the td from the 1.
Start of 3rd Gibbs opens up with 2 back formation again with Lil Joe and Riggins.Lil Joe gets most carries in 3rd with Riggins blocking.
VD hotline in Chicago is 744-8500,LMAO{that was in a commercial}
Skins are up 17-0 in 4th when Gibbs finally goes to Riggins.14 play 4th qtr drive with Riggins dominating,Lil Joe only gets 2 carries on drive and Riggins gets the rest.Riggins finishes off drive with 2 yrd td run
Final rushing totals Riggins 23-126 yards Lil Joe 21-88 yards
Final observation is from car commercials,cant believe gas mileage in cars has really not improved with technology.Datsun had a commercial for a b210 that got 45 mpg.Cadillac of all people had a commercial for their cars with a diesel engine getting 35mpg
Awesome!! I love the old stuff!! Ive seen the last few minutes of that game on youtube.

HTTR. You wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

I found someone selling old games,I used to buy and sell them on ebay but ebay kicked everybody off that was selling games.I have a big collection of old redskin games but I didnt have the 4 I just bought.I was actually looking for an old tv series on dvd and stumbled onto this guy selling games.If anyones interested pm me and I'll give you the link
Old 02-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
We can put this in the locker room.

There used to be some video of this on YouTube. But not no more

But there's this

You posted a loss?
Gonna be a long off-season....
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

In the middle of watching 2 more games,Philly game from 77 and 49er game from 78
The most interesting thing is probably in the eagles game,Jurgenson is calling the game on tv,dont remember that.In the 49er game,the announcers are Jim Brown,Vin Scully and most interesting GEORGE ALLEN.Allen had just been fired by the skins,I do not remember him calling games on tv.Pardee has stuck Kilmer back in lineup{who hasnt played in a while}to give the team a spark and it works.Also,OJ Simpson is playing for 49ers in this game
Old 02-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #11
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

That man is special, Redskins would be fortunate if they ever find anyone close to him. To me, he's the best coach ever and best Redskins coach ever.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote