Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Requiem for the 100w bulb

Parking Lot

Old 12-31-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Requiem for the 100w Incandescent bulb

100 Watt Fades Out - KIMT.com – Iowa & Minnesota Together

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-31-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Re: Requiem for the 100w bulb

How much could I get for my 100w bulbs on Pawn Stars?

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:00 AM   #3
Redskins8588
Playmaker

This is a issue for a factory in my home town who at one time was the largest incandescent light bulb manufacture in the world. My dad retired from there and my mother worked there for sometime. I worked there for a summer and for a town that only has about 14,000 people it was/is one of the larger employers.

I hate to see them close their doors due to the compact florescent lights, but as a consumer I must say the compact florescent lights last much, much, much longer. I mean I bought my first compact florescent light 9 years ago and it still lights in my children's bathroom as a night light. I mean I do not believe any incandescent light would last 6 months let alone a year but to get 9 years out of a light is well worth the $8 investment I spent in 2003!!!

Thoughts...
Old 01-01-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
mredskins
Gamebreaker

My only issue with the new bulbs is there is like a short delay when it comes on that is annoying. I have a stairwell with no natural light and if I use the new bulbs I am doing the first step in the dark. Not a big deal for my but for my three year old it has been a issue.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
My only issue with the new bulbs is there is like a short delay when it comes on that is annoying. I have a stairwell with no natural light and if I use the new bulbs I am doing the first step in the dark. Not a big deal for my but for my three year old it has been a issue.
You might want to consider halogen incandescents or LEDs when the lower wattage standard incandescents are offed in the future. They are instant on.

FYI, CFLs are not good in applications where they are frequently turned on an off. Their lifespans are shortened significantly. They also have to be disposed of properly due to their mercury content.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins8588 View Post
This is a issue for a factory in my home town who at one time was the largest incandescent light bulb manufacture in the world. My dad retired from there and my mother worked there for sometime. I worked there for a summer and for a town that only has about 14,000 people it was/is one of the larger employers.

I hate to see them close their doors due to the compact florescent lights, but as a consumer I must say the compact florescent lights last much, much, much longer. I mean I bought my first compact florescent light 9 years ago and it still lights in my children's bathroom as a night light. I mean I do not believe any incandescent light would last 6 months let alone a year but to get 9 years out of a light is well worth the $8 investment I spent in 2003!!!

Thoughts...
This was our issue too. My dad lost his job in September 2010 after working at General Electric for 30 years. The impact on our town was tremendous. GE was the largest company to work for, they took care of their workers, good wages, etc...
Old 01-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
MTK
\m/

I see we're scraping the bottom of the barrel... a thread about light bulbs?

What's next, a discussion on tying your shoes?
Old 01-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
This was our issue too. My dad lost his job in September 2010 after working at General Electric for 30 years. The impact on our town was tremendous. GE was the largest company to work for, they took care of their workers, good wages, etc...
Sorry about that. But somewhere folks are rejoicing about the new CFL plant in their neighborhood.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #9
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Sorry about that. But somewhere folks are rejoicing about the new CFL plant in their neighborhood.
Sure, you may be right about folks rejoicing about a CFL plant in there neighborhood, but where is that? I highly doubt that it is anywhere in America... I mean lets face facts its cheaper for manufacturing to put jobs in Mexico. And in no way am I trying to bring race in to this conversation, so please don't anyone think that or assume that.

The point I think that SolidSnake and I are trying to make is that by the U.S. government making certain things "fade out" could be hurting the U.S. more than helping...

SolidSnake, I am not trying to talk for you if I am wrong I apologize...
Old 01-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #10
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
The "celebrators" are probably in China, although I doubt they are really celebrating. While I'm more ok with offshoring, I am really not fond expanding CFL production since they contribute to mercury pollution. Since Chinese-made products are made with crappy quality control, that means more "duds", which means more mercury being tossed into landfills(most people are too lazy to do proper disposal).

And the Chinese workers themselves are at risk for mercury poisoning. It's a job that not many would covet.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #11
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I see we're scraping the bottom of the barrel... a thread about light bulbs?

What's next, a discussion on tying your shoes?
I thought this was a cozy section to post threads about trivial things? Besides, our government considers it to be "big enough".

And nerd me is slightly irked by your disdain for the not-that-trivial technology the replacements of incandescent are.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
MTK
\m/

You got me, I'll play along.

Big fan of CFL's myself mostly for the savings on the electric bill. The mercury is troubling though.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #13
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins8588 View Post

Thoughts...
So the factory cannot switch over to making the new bulbs.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #14
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
So the factory cannot switch over to making the new bulbs.
No the factory cannot switch over, it would cost too much money to bring in the equipment and technology for the CFL bulbs...
Old 01-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #15
firstdown
Living Legend

That's what I don't get. Didn't the company making them have to buy the same equipment? Sounds like a company unwilling to chang with the times and that comes from a person who hates those new bulbs.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote