Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Any Stephen King Fans Here? (Major Pet Sematary Questions)

Parking Lot

Old 11-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Any Stephen King Fans Here? (Major Pet Sematary Questions)

Hey folks this is one of my favorite King novels, I have read it twice now cover to cover, but for the life of me can't figure out probably the most important detail.

Why does the Micmac sematary bring things back evil?

I don't think King explains it concretley. I have formed a few theories in my head, but I could use some input on if I am close to hitting the mark or far away.

#1) The ground was "soured" by the Wendigo
This is the literal explanation in the book, but it just seems to simple. The indians would bury their dead there for generations and everything was fine, and then just one day out of the blue, the ground "sours", and now pets come back evil and messed up.

#2) The indians buried victims of cannibalism in the ground, "tainting" its magical properties.

#3) The land has always been "evil" which is why the indians abandoned it.

None of these theories can be very good because Jud was able to use the burial ground successfully two times. Time number one he buried his dog spot, and spot came back and was not mean or evil, just a little dumb and without much personality. Number two is not confirmed in the novel, but I believe he buried his wife Norma there. He mentioned in the beginning of the novel when they were burying Louis' cat Church, "Last time I was here was 12 years ago". especially after hearing how sickly and frail Norma looked, and how Ellie mentiond her hands looked like claws.

But yet when Timmy baterman was buried, he came back evil / demon like, as did Gage. It is also very interesting that both creatures hated Jud so much. Gage could have killed Louis right away but he went with a venomous fury to Jud. Almost as if he hated Jud because Jud was able to use the cemetary "correctly", to restore loved ones back to life...

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements
Old 11-29-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: Any Stephen King Fans Here? (Major Pet Sematary Questions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
Because it's Stephen King?

lol seriously though I don't know. Been a long time since I read that book. The movie sure stunk in comparison didn't it?
Old 11-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
Hey folks this is one of my favorite King novels, I have read it twice now cover to cover, but for the life of me can't figure out probably the most important detail.

I don't think King explains it concretley. I have formed a few theories in my head, but I could use some input on if I am close to hitting the mark or far away.

#1) The ground was "soured" by the Wendigo
This is the literal explanation in the book, but it just seems to simple. The indians would bury their dead there for generations and everything was fine, and then just one day out of the blue, the ground "sours", and now pets come back evil and messed up.

#2) The indians buried victims of cannibalism in the ground, "tainting" its magical properties.

#3) The land has always been "evil" which is why the indians abandoned it.

None of these theories can be very good because Jud was able to use the burial ground successfully two times. Time number one he buried his dog spot, and spot came back and was not mean or evil, just a little dumb and without much personality. Number two is not confirmed in the novel, but I believe he buried his wife Norma there. He mentioned in the beginning of the novel when they were burying Louis' cat Church, "Last time I was here was 12 years ago". especially after hearing how sickly and frail Norma looked, and how Ellie mentiond her hands looked like claws.

But yet when Timmy baterman was buried, he came back evil / demon like, as did Gage. It is also very interesting that both creatures hated Jud so much. Gage could have killed Louis right away but he went with a venomous fury to Jud. Almost as if he hated Jud because Jud was able to use the cemetary "correctly", to restore loved ones back to life...

Any help would be appreciated.
I don't know your exact answer but these folks live and breath King. When I read the Dark Tower series I referenced this web site a lot to clear things up for me.

Pet Sematary
Old 01-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

I know this is an old thread, but I got a Kindle for Christmas and I want some more books for it (even though I downloaded a bunch of random free ones that I'll probably never get around to reading) and I was wondering if there are any Stephen King books that you guys would recommend.

So far I've read Cujo, The Shining, and 'Salem's Lot and I liked them all. I've always wanted to read Pet Sematary and The Stand but are there any others that I need to check out?
Old 01-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I got a Kindle for Christmas and I want some more books for it (even though I downloaded a bunch of random free ones that I'll probably never get around to reading) and I was wondering if there are any Stephen King books that you guys would recommend.

So far I've read Cujo, The Shining, and 'Salem's Lot and I liked them all. I've always wanted to read Pet Sematary and The Stand but are there any others that I need to check out?

I have read pretty much every one.

Try Bag of bones, one of my favorites.

IT is my all time favorite though.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I have read pretty much every one.

Try Bag of bones, one of my favorites.

IT is my all time favorite though.
Oh yeah, I forgot about It, I'll definitely put that one on my list. And I almost bought Bag Of Bones when my local Border's was closing but I didn't because I didn't know enough about it, but since then I've heard good things. I tend to like more of the kind of classic horror stories, so I'd probably like these two. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Try this
http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Story-Pe...der_0671685635
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote