Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

F...TVs

Parking Lot

Old 09-26-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
mredskins
Gamebreaker

F...TVs

So my $3000 dollar 42 inch Phillips TV is now broken after only 3.5 years of service. Plasma BTW.

I have a black band that will not go away on the right side, basically it is the band that is there when you are watching 4-3 picture but when you switch to high def it remains. Called Phillips and basically they said look in the yellow pages for a repair shop, great customer service.

I called Geek Squad and they want $150 just to look at it! By the time they repair it probably be 300 or 400 dollars. Might as well by a new one for 600 dollars.

So basically never buy Phillips I have two other HD TV's both Samsung and they work great.

Funny how my Sony CRT lasted 10 years and I swear I even dropped it several times during moves, I gave it away for this TV and it was still working! Grrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisements
Old 09-27-2009, 12:00 AM   #2
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Re: F...TVs

$3000 for a 42 inch TV? I paid $400 for my 38 inch HDTV. Granted it's not plasma.. I've seen big screen (50 inch+) HDTV's go for far less than that...

Is the plasma the only thing that's kicking up to $3000??

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:29 AM   #3
GMScud
Swearinger

Are you in the DC area? If you are, I know a great repair guy who fixed one of my HD's, and he's very reasonable. $60 to diagnose the problem, and if he can fix it for you, he'll deduct that $60 from the total bill. He got one of my TVs -a 32 inch Sanyo HD- back up and running in a few days.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:06 AM   #4
saden1
MVP

If you don't have Panasonic you're not doing your homework. Honstly though Plasama TVs have hourly lifespan so if you've used it to its max nothing you can do about. The older the less lifespan. I would check the lifespan rating of your TV and call them back. Make sure you make a fuss and tell them your going to create a blog about how bad Philips brand TVs are and they'll get your attention.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:43 AM   #5
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Just curious, is plasma that much better than any other flat tv? (i have 36 inch Sony CRT - works just peachy - only 6 years old though).
Old 09-27-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
mredskins
Gamebreaker

I bought the TV in 2/2006 it was top of the line with the ambilight and all that crap, HD plasma and all that was still very expensive. Honestly start going on line and searching plasma tv's the life of these TV's for a lot of folks has been 4 or 5 years.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:43 AM   #7
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Are you in the DC area? If you are, I know a great repair guy who fixed one of my HD's, and he's very reasonable. $60 to diagnose the problem, and if he can fix it for you, he'll deduct that $60 from the total bill. He got one of my TVs -a 32 inch Sanyo HD- back up and running in a few days.
where about is this guy? I am in northern Baltimore but willing to drive to someone good.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:45 AM   #8
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
If you don't have Panasonic you're not doing your homework. Honstly though Plasama TVs have hourly lifespan so if you've used it to its max nothing you can do about. The older the less lifespan. I would check the lifespan rating of your TV and call them back. Make sure you make a fuss and tell them your going to create a blog about how bad Philips brand TVs are and they'll get your attention.
I have heard a few folks throw around the Panasonic name on here but I know severely folks who have Panasonic and they have had problems as well. I honestly don't think any one builds a quality TV anymore.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
wolfeskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I have heard a few folks throw around the Panasonic name on here but I know severely folks who have Panasonic and they have had problems as well. I honestly don't think any one builds a quality TV anymore.

yea, i would say buying a different brand name of a tv is like choosing ford over chevy or dodge over toyota. they all have their problems. it usually comes down to money, who has the best deal with the best warrenty. when i was shopping for tvs i was looking to get a samsung but i ended up getting a sharp aquos 46" lcd from sears, so far it's been great but i know there will come a time when something will go wrong with it. thats just the way it is.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:49 AM   #10
dmek25
MVP

in reality, there are only 3 companies that actually " make" T.V's
Old 09-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #11
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Really? I only know two people who bought Panasonic and both TVs ended up being duds. Between me, my mom/stepdad, dad/stepmom, we've got a Sanyo, a few Sony's, and Sharp, and a few Vizio's, and they are all excellent. Based on my friend's experience, I'll avoid Panasonic like the plague. Come to think of it, I've never owned anything Panasonic that I've liked particularly.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:09 AM   #12
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
where about is this guy? I am in northern Baltimore but willing to drive to someone good.
He's in Gaithersburg, so he was about a 15 mile drive from me, but worth it.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #13
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
He's in Gaithersburg, so he was about a 15 mile drive from me, but worth it.
Ok shoot me his contact info! thank you!
Old 09-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #14
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Ok shoot me his contact info! thank you!
Here ya go- this is his Superpages listing-

(Results 1 - 8 of 8)*~*Advanced TV Gaithersburg MD*~*Simple Search ~ SuperPages.com: Yellow Pages

It's a little hole in the wall repair shop, but he's really good. Kind of short on the telephone, but very professional. I was referred to him by my buddy's mom who has been taking TVs there for years.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #15
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Word, and that goes for just about every type of electronic equipment, Panasonic is king.