Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

Debating with the enemy

Old 06-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

In recent years this subject has become a hot-button issue for those that have chosen to weigh-in. It's a sensitive issue and one I don't recall ever being discussed here. David Tyree has predicted anarchy in the event SSM is made legal [I would assume he means in all 50 states] I wouldn't go quite that far.

NFL.com news: Tyree warns of 'anarchy' if gay marriage is legalized in U.S.

Those who say yes:
1 Denying them is a violation of religious freedom (civil and religious marriages are two separate institutions).
2 Marriage benefits (such as joint ownership, medical decision-making capacity) should be available to all couples.
3 Homosexuality is an accepted lifestyle nowadays with most evidence strongly supporting biological causation.
4 Denying these marriages is a form of minority discrimination.
5 It doesn't hurt society or anyone in particular.
6 The only thing that should matter in marriage is love.
7 The number of child adoptions should increase since gay couples cannot pro-create (although some might see an increase in gay adoptions as an argument against same-sex marriages).
8 It encourages people to have strong family values and give up high-risk sexual lifestyles.
9 The same financial benefits that apply to man-woman marriages apply to same-sex marriages.

Those who say no:
1 Most religions consider homosexuality a sin.
2 It would weaken the definition and respect for the institution of marriage.
3 It would further weaken the traditional family values essential to our society.
4 It could provide a slippery slope in the legality of marriage (e.g. having multiple wives or marrying an animal could be next).
5 The gay lifestyle is not something to be encouraged, as a lot of research shows it leads to a much lower life expectancy, psychological disorders, and other problems.

Your Thoughts....

Advertisements
Old 06-17-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

My thought is it's silly this is such a big deal. Let them get married and let's get on with more important things.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

I'm with Matty. Live and let live. To each his own.

I don't really get the argument that SSM will create anarchy or destroy the institution of marriage as traditionally understood. Are there really that many gay people trapped in hetero marriages, so if SSM is legalized there will be a stampede? I think not. Most people are still happily hetero.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
GMScud
Swearinger

I have no real issue with it. If two people are in love, living together, even adopting kids together, why shouldn't they be afforded the same benefits of marriage as a straight couple?

Good example- my mom/stepdad's next-door neighbors are a gay couple in their mid-40's. One is a successful realtor, the other a social worker with a PhD. They are the nicest guys, and 5 or 6 years ago they adopted a boy and a girl from Guatemala who otherwise would have grown up in extreme poverty. No reason on earth in my mind those two great guys should not be allowed to marry.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
GMScud
Swearinger

The whole "institution" of marriage thing is silly at this point anyway. It's up to each couple to define what their marriage will be. With a 50% divorce rate amongst straight couples, it seems kinda dumb to use the institution argument anymore.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Waiting for first and buster...internet must be down in Mayberry.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
FRPLG
MVP

I hate the concept of gov't sanctioned marriage anyways. It can only be an exclusionary practice by defintion which, to me, makes it problemtaic. Get rid of the gov't sanctioned marriage and allow for civil unions, or whatever, and let's move on.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
waiting for first and buster...internet must be down in mayberry.
lol!!
Old 06-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
The whole "institution" of marriage thing is silly at this point anyway. It's up to each couple to define what their marriage will be. With a 50% divorce rate amongst straight couples, it seems kinda dumb to use the institution argument anymore.
Good argument!!
Old 06-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #10
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I'm in agreement with most here. "Marriage" is a reigious related sacrament. Let each church figure it out.

Govt. should have a simple civil union. Essentially a state sanctioned contract between two people to act partners in all family management issues.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #11
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
I'm in agreement with most here. "Marriage" is a reigious related sacrament. Let each church figure it out.

Govt. should have a simple civil union. Essentially a state sanctioned contract between two people to act partners in all family management issues.
it's amazing how simple somthing can be, and how complicated the government can make it. i couldn't agree with your post any more.

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #12
over the mountain
Playmaker

Im actually going to the pride parade in baltimore this saturday. This will be my second time. I have no problem with the gay marriage, civil union issue. Let them do it.

I do have some reservations about a gay couple adopting a child. Whether being gay is a choice, genetic roll of the dice or a quasi mix; I have some reservations about a young child/baby being adopted into that lifestyle.

We are good friends with a lesbian couple who have a child from one of their prior relationships with a man. They act and maintain a great loving and structured home. The girl is real smart, polite and doesnt seem to have any reservations about her mothers preference. i.e. is a well adjusted normal child imo.

But when it comes to adoption, i kinda have a lil trouble with a baby/young child having no choice in the manner in which he or she will be raised.

Kinda funny, i met my lady and her gay friend at the bar after work the other day. We were talking about pride day, where we were gonna met up, etc. The topic turned to how several butch lesbians made comments to me (white guy) and my black girlfriend holding hands at Pride last year. He said the gay community is divided.

The funny part, so its like 3:30 pm, I wasnt really trying to drink hard. He orders a shot and I say Ill do one to. I was expecting a kinda fruity easy going "hey the sun is still up" shot but it was jameson, 4 fingers of hotter than room temperature jameson.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #13
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
My thought is it's silly this is such a big deal. Let them get married and let's get on with more important things.
Agreed. Really though, to me the bigger issue is that they be given proper benefits.

I think I had mentioned this a few years ago, I did a story on the local news on a gay person whose partner of the past 20+ years had died in 9/11. And she couldn't get certain benefits because they weren't married, because they couldn't be married. That was unfortunate, to say the least

But at the end of the day, and I don't mean to be callous when I say it, the issue is not a huge deal for me. But when I see GOP candidates making it a huge deal that discourages me from my party of choice. Though I tend to believe (hope?) that they just say it to get certain votes but if elected, they wouldn't make it such a prominent issue. Same-sex marriage that is, more specifically the notion that there needs to be a constitutional amendment banning it.

And saying it would lead to anarchy is ridiculous, a prolonged NFL Lockout is more likely to lead to anarchy
Old 06-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #14
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Pretty much this.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #15
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
Im actually going to the pride parade in baltimore this saturday. This will be my second time. I have no problem with the gay marriage, civil union issue. Let them do it.

I do have some reservations about a gay couple adopting a child. Whether being gay is a choice, genetic roll of the dice or a quasi mix; I have some reservations about a young child/baby being adopted into that lifestyle.

We are good friends with a lesbian couple who have a child from one of their prior relationships with a man. They act and maintain a great loving and structured home. The girl is real smart, polite and doesnt seem to have any reservations about her mothers preference. i.e. is a well adjusted normal child imo.

But when it comes to adoption, i kinda have a lil trouble with a baby/young child having no choice in the manner in which he or she will be raised.

Kinda funny, i met my lady and her gay friend at the bar after work the other day. We were talking about pride day, where we were gonna met up, etc. The topic turned to how several butch lesbians made comments to me (white guy) and my black girlfriend holding hands at Pride last year. He said the gay community is divided.

The funny part, so its like 3:30 pm, I wasnt really trying to drink hard. He orders a shot and I say Ill do one to. I was expecting a kinda fruity easy going "hey the sun is still up" shot but it was jameson, 4 fingers of hotter than room temperature jameson.
Adoption does appear to be an issue aside from the marriage aspect that draws a frown from many straight people who have wrestled for an opinion. They ask themselves the question....would I be comfortable with my child being reared in that type environment...how much ridicule would he/she be subjected too in it's early years of schooling and development.