Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Herschel Walker reveals struggles with mental disorder

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-14-2008, 02:39 PM   #1
MTK
\m/

Herschel Walker reveals struggles with mental disorder

Crazy story:

ESPN - Walker reveals struggles with mental disorder in just-released book - NFL

Advertisements
Old 04-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Herschel Walker reveals struggles with mental disorder

Suddenly the Herschel to the Vikings trade for 5 players and 6 draft picks doesn't seem so lopsided

Seriously though, that's a tough thing to deal with I'm sure. Though I thought it was kind of old news (from a couple of months ago)?
Old 04-14-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
jamf
Pro Bowl

Damn that sucks.
So when he is rubbing one out in the shower, Is he cheating on himself with himself?
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
Monkeydad
Living Legend

C'mon, this is not really a joking matter.

You know you're just going to encourage the Cowgirl fans to start crying "Dexter Manley" at us.

He's actually the one Dallas Cowboy I've always been somewhat of a fan of as a player. Well, I didn't really hate him like the other players at least.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Suddenly the Herschel to the Vikings trade for 5 players and 6 draft picks doesn't seem so lopsided

Seriously though, that's a tough thing to deal with I'm sure. Though I thought it was kind of old news (from a couple of months ago)?
LMAO, thats so wrong. Herchel Walker is God down here so I have to be careful laughing at that post otherwise the one redneck down here that knows how to use a computer will kill me.

Actually I think I saw yesterday that he's going to do a booksigning at the local Wal-Mart.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
redskinsfanatic

Actually I think I saw yesterday that he's going to do a booksigning at the local Wal-Mart.

is it hershel,or one of his evil alter egos???
redskinsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:45 PM   #7
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

This is a wild & unfortunate story. But I remember reading about this problem quite some time ago.
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:13 PM   #8
rypper11
The Starter

It sounds funny, but it really is a horrible ailment.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:55 PM   #9
KLHJ2
Inactive

I know that this is going to make me sound like an asshole, but I cannot feel sorry for the man after all of the money he has made and all of the money he is going to make by capitalizing on his book sales. His business personality is laughing all the way to the bank.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:57 PM   #10
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryssg View Post
I konw that this is going to make me sound like an asshole, but I cannot feel sorry for the man after all of the money he has made and all of the money he is going to make by capitalizing on his book sales. His business personality is laughing all the way to the bank.
So what are you saying? That he deserves no sympathy because he's rich? That he's only saying this to make money?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:07 PM   #11
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
So what are you saying? That he deserves no sympathy because he's rich? That he's only saying this to make money?
I do not truly know what his intentions are with this book. If he uses the money to fund research or aid others with it (multiple personalities), then it's cool to sell the book. If he is only telling his story to put more cash in his pocket, then he gets no sympathy from me.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:56 PM   #12
djnemo65
Playmaker

Bottom line is I respect any public figure who uses their position to raise awareness about a disease or past abuse or whatever. It's not easy when you are in the public eye to assume that mantle of being spokesperson for an entire disorder.

As for book sales, this is America and people are entitled to make money on their life stories, particularily if they are interesting like this one.

Angry, I don't think he's looking for your pity. He just wants America to know that this disease is out there, and hopefully encourage others struggling with it to seek treatment. What's the problem with that?
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:32 PM   #13
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
Bottom line is I respect any public figure who uses their position to raise awareness about a disease or past abuse or whatever. It's not easy when you are in the public eye to assume that mantle of being spokesperson for an entire disorder.

As for book sales, this is America and people are entitled to make money on their life stories, particularily if they are interesting like this one.

Angry, I don't think he's looking for your pity. He just wants America to know that this disease is out there, and hopefully encourage others struggling with it to seek treatment. What's the problem with that?
Look, my intent was not to come off as an asshole, but I said that I might. Obviously I have. I am just questioning the sincerity of the situation. Does anyone else not find it odd that his father didn't have a clue that his son suffered from this? All of a sudden now it is comming out in the form of a book, instead of and article to raise awareness.

He could have put out a book about his playing career solely to tell his story, but if he spices it up and makes it more juicy, he might sell more copies. I just have a hard time swallowing this story right now.

If he had mentioned these problems sooner I might have bought it.

Now , if all of this is legit and sincere then I retract my previous statements and might even appologize. For some reason, I do not believe that this is sincere though.

Edit: I am merely skeptical, that is all.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:39 PM   #14
djnemo65
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryssg View Post
Look, my intent was not to come off as an asshole, but I said that I might. Obviously I have. I am just questioning the sincerity of the situation. Does anyone else not find it odd that his father didn't have a clue that his son suffered from this? All of a sudden now it is comming out in the form of a book, instead of and article to raise awareness.

He could have put out a book about his playing career solely to tell his story, but if he spices it up and makes it more juicy, he might sell more copies. I just have a hard time swallowing this story right now.

If he had mentioned these problems sooner I might have bought it.

Now , if all of this is legit and sincere then I retract my previous statements and might even appologize. For some reason, I do not believe that this is sincere though.

Edit I am merely skeptical, that is all.
Some how I don't think this book is chasing Harry Potter off the NY Times list. The little money he is likely to receive from it is probably nothing compared to the scrutiny he's going to have to deal with.

The idea that this is fabricated as a money making ploy is - to me - completely ludicrous.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:00 AM   #15
dmek25
MVP

im starting to think anyone will say anything to sell a book