Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Reed Doughty

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-11-2008, 01:42 AM   #1
JDub21
Camp Scrub

Reed Doughty

What do you guys think of him?
can he be a full-time starter in the NFL?

he played well down the stretch and seemed to fit in well in the locker room
JDub21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-11-2008, 01:42 AM   #2
JDub21
Camp Scrub

Re: Reed Doughty

[Personal opinion]: love the guy. hope he remains as the starter and develops
JDub21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:04 AM   #3
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDub21 View Post
[Personal opinion]: love the guy. hope he remains as the starter and develops
Exactly what I'm feeling..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:08 AM   #4
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Is anybody averse to addressing FS in the draft this year? I have a hard time deciding because it would essentially be trying to replace someone who was very special to the team too quickly.

...I don't want to lose or taint the memory but I would want to improve if there are deficienies there, tough call.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:27 AM   #5
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Well I think that Landry is our FS isn't he? I just hope that we don't draft Kenny Phillips. For one thing, it's sort of creepy. And for another I think he's an overrated U player (much like I think Calais Campbell is starting to become really undderrated)

Anyhow, as for Doughty. I think he can definitely be a full-time starter in the NFL. But for him to succeed he needs to be one of those types that has all the right pieces around him to help (at least for now). In other words, if Doughty struggled on the field I think Landry could still play at a superior level and pick up Doughty's slack. But if the reverse were happening, I think it would have a negative effect (affect?) on Doughty.

I'm definitely rooting for him though. He's been through a lot with his own kid and the moment that probably got me most choked up last season was when some moron asked him if the guys were crying in the locker room (after finding out ST had been shot, though still live) and he said "Of course" then choked up and added "it's real."
Old 04-11-2008, 06:36 AM   #6
CPAlltheWay012
Special Teams

I look at it as this: What happens if Laron Landry gets injured?

And it's exactly the reason I think we should draft Kenny Philips. Reed Doughty served as a solid and proven backup in the NFL and played well on special teams, where he should continue to do so. If injury were to strike one of our safties, he's there to fill the void and hopefully do a solid job. If we don't have someone like Kenny Philips and Laron gets injured.. what happens? We have a very weak deep secondary.

I know this is based on alot of "Ifs" but no one ever thought that Sean Taylor would go down and it happened. I think we should take the precautions to keep our secondary strong so we don't get torched like 2006.

Check out this video of him: NFL Video Galleries
Old 04-11-2008, 06:42 AM   #7
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Well I think that Landry is our FS isn't he? I just hope that we don't draft Kenny Phillips. For one thing, it's sort of creepy. And for another I think he's an overrated U player (much like I think Calais Campbell is starting to become really undderrated)

Anyhow, as for Doughty. I think he can definitely be a full-time starter in the NFL. But for him to succeed he needs to be one of those types that has all the right pieces around him to help (at least for now). In other words, if Doughty struggled on the field I think Landry could still play at a superior level and pick up Doughty's slack. But if the reverse were happening, I think it would have a negative effect (affect?) on Doughty.

I'm definitely rooting for him though. He's been through a lot with his own kid and the moment that probably got me most choked up last season was when some moron asked him if the guys were crying in the locker room (after finding out ST had been shot, though still live) and he said "Of course" then choked up and added "it's real."
We moved Landy to FS after the tradegy so I thought he was going to go back to his orginial position after the season. Maybe you're right, but I thought they brought Landry to the team as a SS because he plays well close to the LOS.

I guess if we go into the season with Doughty starting he will be the SS, he better suits that position.

If Phillips fell to us in the second round that would be creepy because we might be forced to select him.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:45 AM   #8
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPAlltheWay012 View Post
I look at it as this: What happens if Laron Landry gets injured?

And it's exactly the reason I think we should draft Kenny Philips. Reed Doughty served as a solid and proven backup in the NFL and played well on special teams, where he should continue to do so. If injury were to strike one of our safties, he's there to fill the void and hopefully do a solid job. If we don't have someone like Kenny Philips and Laron gets injured.. what happens? We have a very weak deep secondary.

I know this is based on alot of "Ifs" but no one ever thought that Sean Taylor would go down and it happened. I think we should take the precautions to keep our secondary strong so we don't get torched like 2006.

Check out this video of him: NFL Video Galleries
Ok, but what if we don't draft Talib and Springs gets injured, or we don't draft Otah and Jansen gets injured, or we don't draft Albert and Thomas gets injured, or we don't draft Merling and Carter gets injured, or we don't draft Balmer and Montgomery gets injured...and so on?
Old 04-11-2008, 06:55 AM   #9
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Ok, but what if we don't draft Talib and Springs gets injured, or we don't draft Otah and Jansen gets injured, or we don't draft Albert and Thomas gets injured, or we don't draft Merling and Carter gets injured, or we don't draft Balmer and Montgomery gets injured...and so on?
The answer to that question is what has us in this precarious position. Making sure that you use your alotted selections on premier young talent coming out of the college ranks.

That is something we haven't been doing the past few years and are now suffering as a result. There is too much luck involved when your competitive season relies on none of our full time starters being lost for the year.

Building in the draft through multiple years is the only way we can eliminate the luck factor and be competitive year in and year out.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:28 AM   #10
Schneed10
A Dude

I see Reed Doughty as a Ryan Clark clone. Not terribly fast, not terribly big, but takes good angles to the ball, is a very good fundamental tackler, and is smart enough in coverage not to get burned.

He will not generate turnovers, but he's a very solid NFL starter when paired with a premeir talent like Landry.

I think Doughty's presence allows us to draft for other needs first, and worry about acquiring depth at safety instead of spending a higher pick on a starter.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:45 AM   #11
MTK
\m/

Cooley seems pretty high on him from his blog:

Quote:
Of course being around the team year round I see a lot of things that no one else does. Down to the details of who works the hardest in the weight room. That said, it can still be a guess to who has a breakout year. Laron Landry will have a great season for us in his second year, but I think everyone expects that. The player that will surprise a lot of people is Reed Doughty. He is extremely smart as well as a very hard working player.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:15 AM   #12
mlmpetert
Playmaker

I voted for Reed for the player most likely to have a brakeout season (on redskins.com). I only remember Reed getting beat twice last season, both when he first started to play full time. When he stared to play back when Sean was just rehabing his knee didnt he play as a FS for a few games. Thats where he was a liability, once moved to SS he did really well. He definitly got better as the season went on. So shouldnt that mean give him a chance and hope we dont spend a first day pick on a saftey.
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:22 AM   #13
marius
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Cooley seems pretty high on him from his blog:
Given that 'character' seems to be something that many people feel very strongly about on this site (see the number of complaints about the picking up of Mathis and the suggestion that we might pick up Chad Johnson (both of which I am not adverse to)) then Reed Doughty should be someone who is given and chance to cement himself as a starter; he is unquestionably a guy who boasts tremendous character.
marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:45 AM   #14
saden1
MVP

I like Doughty but there is no free lunch in the NFL, you got to earn your keep. Hopefully he worked hard on every aspect of his game so we don't have to draft a SS.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:48 AM   #15
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDub21 View Post
What do you guys think of him?
can he be a full-time starter in the NFL?

he played well down the stretch and seemed to fit in well in the locker room
It was a great move by Williams switching him up with Landry. Taylor's athletic ability at FS was a key to the defensive changes last season, and Landry is much more an impact player than Reed would ever be in centerfield. I want to see Doughty get his fair shot as our starting SS this year. He's another high character, intelligent guy that Gibbs brought in, and he'll get better if given the chance to play more SS.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote