Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Positive remark on McNabb

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
Duffman003
Impact Rookie

Positive remark on McNabb

I was reading this article on ESPN about pressuring the quarterback and there was a quick remark about McNabb doing well against pressure.

"There are those rare quarterbacks, like Aaron Rodgers, Donovan McNabb and Ben Roethlisberger, who produce well when under that kind of pressure, but the average stats tell the value of the hurry."

Everyone has been talking about how poor the offensive line will be, but at least there are some remarks about how McNabb performs under pressure.

Elvis Dumervil, Tamba Hali need help on the hurry front - ESPN

Advertisements
Old 06-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Re: Positive remark on McNabb

Well we will certainly know soon enough. It's been said before, but the truth is we are looking at another horrible O-line. I've seen nothing that says this line is much better than last year...
Old 06-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
johno
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
Well we will certainly know soon enough. It's been said before, but the truth is we are looking at another horrible O-line. I've seen nothing that says this line is much better than last year...
imho both artis hicks and trent williams are upgrades.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

I agree fully but do you think they will be immediate contributers? I figured they would learn for part of the season behind a veteran....
Old 06-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno View Post
imho both artis hicks and trent williams are upgrades.
I agree, but the depth at this time is still a major issue with the Oline. Williams is gonna be good and a great upgrade, Hicks is an upgrade, but not much IMO.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
Leader In Sports
Special Teams

Recently I did an event with someone who has been with the Eagles for decades. We talked about the McNabb deal and we both agreed it was a win-win for both teams since McNabb is a massive upgrade from Campbell.

Where we disagreed was this person with the Eagles felt that McNabb has in the past, and would probably continue to always choke in the big games.
Leader In Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader In Sports View Post
Recently I did an event with someone who has been with the Eagles for decades. We talked about the McNabb deal and we both agreed it was a win-win for both teams since McNabb is a massive upgrade from Campbell.

Where we disagreed was this person with the Eagles felt that McNabb has in the past, and would probably continue to always choke in the big games.
We'll see if the choke artist was Reid or McNabb this year.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
johno
Impact Rookie

Quote:
I agree fully but do you think they will be immediate contributers? I figured they would learn for part of the season behind a veteran....
That's a fair question, but I do think that they contribute immediately. I think they both start the first game of the season. Would it be better for Williams to learn behind a veteran? Yeah. Do we have enough veterans that can hold down the fort at LT until Williams is ready? Nope. We all had to watch the nonsense offensive line that was out there last season.

Also, do I like asking questions and then immediately answering them? You betcha. lol
Old 06-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #9
Leader In Sports
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
We'll see if the choke artist was Reid or McNabb this year.
Just remember, I did disagree with him on the later part of the statement.

I keep thinking of the Steelers and Bill Cowher. They stuck with him, and he eventually got them the prize.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #10
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Hicks is quite the veteran.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #11
Leader In Sports
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Hicks is quite the veteran.
Be it veterans or rookies, it takes time for the o-line to gel.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #12
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman003 View Post
I was reading this article on ESPN about pressuring the quarterback and there was a quick remark about McNabb doing well against pressure.

"There are those rare quarterbacks, like Aaron Rodgers, Donovan McNabb and Ben Roethlisberger, who produce well when under that kind of pressure, but the average stats tell the value of the hurry."

Everyone has been talking about how poor the offensive line will be, but at least there are some remarks about how McNabb performs under pressure.

Elvis Dumervil, Tamba Hali need help on the hurry front - ESPN
Personally I'm not a McNabb fan. Reason being that I feel he is getting old and seems to get hurt each yr. He's also not the runner he used to be. McNabb used to be good at eluding the rush and either getting the ball out or running for the first down. McNabb is older and not as agile. When I heard we picked him up I was "oh heck no." But having heard how Shanahan worked with Elway while in his 30's and remembering that most of Shanahan's play calls (pass wise) have the QB rolling out to help avoid the rush, I think now we will be ok.

I also felt our OL was kinda small for Buges man-to-man style of play. On top of that I don't think Buges was ever fond of or excellent at teaching zone blocking. Combine this with Zorn's crappy scheme and you can see why we had failure.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #13
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

One reason depth was always such a major weakness for our line was that we had 2-3 veterans who we knew would miss games on a regular basis(Samuels, Jansen, etc.) so we always needed a backup in along the line. In the same span, the Giants line went 3 seasons without an injury. I hope that now that the line is substantial younger we will not be relying on backups all the time.

I am not arguing that backups are not important, only that we hopefully won't rely on them nearly as much.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #14
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
I don't think there is that much of a learning curve from college to pro when your talking O line and I expect Williams will start.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #15
joethiesmanfan
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Personally I'm not a McNabb fan. Reason being that I feel he is getting old and seems to get hurt each yr. He's also not the runner he used to be. McNabb used to be good at eluding the rush and either getting the ball out or running for the first down. McNabb is older and not as agile. When I heard we picked him up I was "oh heck no." But having heard how Shanahan worked with Elway while in his 30's and remembering that most of Shanahan's play calls (pass wise) have the QB rolling out to help avoid the rush, I think now we will be ok.

I also felt our OL was kinda small for Buges man-to-man style of play. On top of that I don't think Buges was ever fond of or excellent at teaching zone blocking. Combine this with Zorn's crappy scheme and you can see why we had failure.
McNabb had to stop running so much. Coaches wanted him to be known as a passer. You miss reads when you run. IMO a first down is a first down. Okay coach what's your next play, on that one I had to run and get the first down right quick. Zorn would go balistic if Campbell ran and there was an open receiver. I'm like get over yourself and you so-called scheme Zorn, we are not getting first downs your way.